Please provide analysis on my mechanics

I have some video from the backside/front/frontside… I’ve recently had soreness in my shoulder, that I’ve had checked w/xray’s and MRI’s and no major problems… mentioned have signs of tendonitis in the shoulder… I don’t get the pain as much anymore, since I’ve been looking at this site - trying to keep closed longer, use more of my body, and not throw with all arm.

If you notice anything that may be causing shoulder soreness in my mechanics, please point them out… Thanks in advance!

Backside:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8471168367107330677

Front:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1012715910859831090

Frontside:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6232717103040605282

you actually look pretty good except for a few things, you dont look where your throwing the ball untill very late, you dont look balanced, and you start moving toward homeplate before your body and arm are ready

since when do you have this soreness in your shoulder? before or after changing some of your mechanics? QC is right about looking at your target very late. it might be just because you throw at a wall and you don’t really have a target but keeping your eyes on your target helps you to become a pitcher, not a thrower. Some people did great with that problem though, fernando valenzuela, brad penny. did you always throw from that angle? because changing the arm angle even just a bit can cause stress in shoulder but it’s something you can work on by practicing your mechanics for a long period of time at low velocity to get your new muscles loose.

It’s hard to say for sure, given that i can’t go frame by frame through the video, but I think your mechanics look solid. It looks like you are throwing hard.

In terms of your shoulder pain, my instinct is to look for a conditioning problem. You either aren’t conditioning your shoulder enough or you aren’t conditioning both sides of your shoulder and have developed a muscle imbalance.

Google “Throwers Ten” and consider getting Steven’s book Tuff Cuff.

Not bad overall. I see poor balance and not picking up on the target. I see in several shot you lean back on your pivot step, not good, I think that leads to your struggling for balance through out your delivery.

Thanks for the comments qcbaseball…

a bad habit - my dad had always told me to pick up the target earlier - not sure why I do it… I’ll try to work on that. It’s more for accuracy right?

can you expand on that… throught the delivery, at a certain point? suggestions to improve the balance

I didn’t use to do that… I’d stay more behind the ball, but advice on the board seems to stay starting your momentum to the plate earlier… I saw this to be true in a lot of pro’s - check out the pictures on this site of Weaver and Johnson - Johnson’s momentum is moving forward as his leg is coming up. am I interpreting this incorrectly?

Thanks for the comments 4pie - The pain started at the end of the '05 season, and all last year - I was only able to pitch a handful of innings last year… but since, focusing on mechanics - have had the pain less… I think I really had the shoulders opening early prior - throwing w/alot of arm before - finally caught up to me…

Are you just asking in general if I changed the angle I throw at? If so, not really sure, how much my arm angle has changed by tweaking my mechanics… but the pain was prior.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]
It’s hard to say for sure, given that i can’t go frame by frame through the video, but I think your mechanics look solid. It looks like you are throwing hard.[/quote]
Thanks for the comments Chris, can I send you the files to go frame by frame, or if I load them to Youtube can you step through them?

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]
In terms of your shoulder pain, my instinct is to look for a conditioning problem. You either aren’t conditioning your shoulder enough or you aren’t conditioning both sides of your shoulder and have developed a muscle imbalance. Google “Throwers Ten” and consider getting Steven’s book Tuff Cuff.[/quote]
Thanks for the advice, I lift weights every other day… only doing bench, curls, tricep extension, and lat pull downs… I try to throw in rotator cuff excercises/stretching - but not as much as I should…

Thanks for the comments rhornsby69… this seems to be the concesus - I’ll work on these two…

[quote=“rhornsby69”]
I see in several shot you lean back on your pivot step, not good, I think that leads to your struggling for balance through out your delivery.[/quote]
Should I be staying more upright when make the pivot step?

Yea you look like you have very solid mechanics, i also like the person yelling in the backround haha. Good luck

This could be the root cause of your problem.

You only seem to be working the front side of your shoulder with the bench presses. You need to work both sides.

Also, if you keep doing bench presses you shouldn’t take the bar all the way down to your chest.

Thanks CNYbball27… ya, that’s my kids bouncing off the walls in the basement… the other video I was going to put up, they were skateboarding in the video…

I agree with rhornsby when he says that the initial step backwards is causing you to be out of balance. I’d say you “rush” thru your balance point. All of your momentum is rocking towards 2nd base. I think that this step along with your leg kick need to be a little more controlled. As for your comment about “starting momentum earlier”, I’d say that your better off staying behind the ball more as you used to do. Personally I’d say that nothing should go towards home plate until you reach your balance point. I agree that Johnson does lean early, but I think he’s probably the exception rather than the norm. The Weaver clip starts when he’s just completed his balance point as his leg comes down and his arms separate, so he should be moving his momentum forward.

Just my 2 cents :slight_smile:

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]
This could be the root cause of your problem.

You only seem to be working the front side of your shoulder with the bench presses. You need to work both sides.[/quote]
Chris, I’ll look at working on working both sides of my shoulder… Throwers Ten should help w/that?

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]
Also, if you keep doing bench presses you shouldn’t take the bar all the way down to your chest.[/quote]
I do make sure I don’t go down all the way… tell the truth, I’m not even sure if the pain came from bench… I know the year prior, I was increasing my weight week to week - and I remember my shoulder hurting going down once… now I only work on less weight more reps…

Chris, how about getting you a clip to go frame by frame for better analysis?

Thanks,
Lee

Send it to me at thepainguy@gmail.com

Send it to me at thepainguy@gmail.com[/quote]

Thanks Chris, I’ll send it tonight

Lee

[quote=“canyon23”]I agree with rhornsby when he says that the initial step backwards is causing you to be out of balance. I’d say you “rush” thru your balance point. All of your momentum is rocking towards 2nd base. I think that this step along with your leg kick need to be a little more controlled. As for your comment about “starting momentum earlier”, I’d say that your better off staying behind the ball more as you used to do. Personally I’d say that nothing should go towards home plate until you reach your balance point. I agree that Johnson does lean early, but I think he’s probably the exception rather than the norm. The Weaver clip starts when he’s just completed his balance point as his leg comes down and his arms separate, so he should be moving his momentum forward.

Just my 2 cents :)[/quote]
Thanks for your comments canyon23… I will look at staying more in balance…

Rodger, DM… I believe it is one of you that always mentions getting your momentum moving towards the target earlier… Is what I’m doing not correct, or am I misinterpreting that?

Thanks,
Lee

I think you’re fine when it comes to this.

[quote=“ebkcontainers”]

I didn’t use to do that… I’d stay more behind the ball, but advice on the board seems to stay starting your momentum to the plate earlier… I saw this to be true in a lot of pro’s - check out the pictures on this site of Weaver and Johnson - Johnson’s momentum is moving forward as his leg is coming up. am I interpreting this incorrectly?

i watched the video a few more times, and i maybe made it seem like a bigger deal than it actually is. maybe im more sensative to staying over your back leg as a balance checkpoint becuase not only is that one of the biggest things my pitching coach at school preaches, but also in the book im reading, nolan ryans pitching bible. but all i was saying is you start moving early and put your self in a position that you have to rush your arm to get into the proper position to throw by the time you land and that could cause you to put extra stress on your arm. just trying to help

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]
I think you’re fine when it comes to this.[/quote]
Ok, thanks Chris - I’m surprised you were able to decifer that… I re-read that this afternoon, couldn’t believe I typed that… We had a baseball meeting for our kids, that turned into going to Buffalo Wild Wings - I typed that late, and after a few pops…

BTW, I’m posting the files to rapid share… they were too big for email - about 20 meg each… Thanks for taking the time to analyze

Lee

[quote=“qcbaseball”][quote=“ebkcontainers”]

[quote=“qcbaseball”]
i watched the video a few more times, and i maybe made it seem like a bigger deal than it actually is. maybe im more sensative to staying over your back leg as a balance checkpoint becuase not only is that one of the biggest things my pitching coach at school preaches, but also in the book im reading, nolan ryans pitching bible. but all i was saying is you start moving early and put your self in a position that you have to rush your arm to get into the proper position to throw by the time you land and that could cause you to put extra stress on your arm. just trying to help[/quote]
qcbaseball, I appreciate your input and understand what your saying. When I told my brother about moving toward the target earlier, and opening hips prior to footstrike - he wasn’t crazy about it… He had always been taught weight back over backleg and pop the hips at footstrike… He didn’t make it to the pros, but pitched at high levels… Although when I saw a still picture of him, he infact did look like his hips were opening prior to his footstrike

Thanks again for you input

Rocking Back - I think (IMO) the intial step back isn’t to do anything but allow for you to turn your pivot foot. I don’t see it a the beginning of the pitching motion. In some shots, your whole body moves back to allow for your foot to move. Try just simply shorting that step, or change it. I teach a short 45 degree step, just enough movement to allow for that foot turn, then back over your pivot foot to load up.