***Please Help Middle School Mechanics***

Hello all. First and foremost, this is my 2nd year coaching middle school (I am 24 and pitched in JUCO). I video’d all of my guys pitching today and can tell all of them have serious mechanical issues. A couple of these guys are varsity, but they all need major work.

I know it would be foolish to think you could break down all of these guys… but absolutely any advice on where to begin would be great.

Before anyone says it, we’re starting the Hershiser drill first thing Wednesday. :slight_smile:

Tony:

Kyle: (Not really a pitcher)

Zack J.:

Zach O:

Alex:

Taber:

Brantley:

Jon B:

Brooks:

Dylan B:

Christian:

Turner:

A few more…

Brett:

Brock:

William:

Anyone? Anyone at all?

Bump…

Steven…?

Ok, coach. As I get the time, I’ll take a look at your pitchers and post comments here.

General comments: You will start to recognize common issues addressed in my comments. This is normal. Typical issues include postural instability, glove instability, and lack of momentum. I haven’t commented on posture too much because that really takes a front or rear view. My comments regarding momentum should be taken with a grain of salt because you’ve posted only slo-mo videos which makes is a bit difficult to assess how fast your guys move down the hill.

Tony:

Comments: Tony looks tall and slender. Strength could be an issue so should work on adding strength especially in legs and core. Mechanics look decent. Has nice long stride. But would like to see him get out over the front foot more at ball release. Starting the hips moving forward sooner to create more total-body momentum will help. Hershiser drill will help make that adjustment as will the cross-over drill. A couple checkpoints: (1) release point should be 6"-12" is front of front foot, (2) front toe, front knee and nose should roughly be aligned vertically. Also, as a guideline, stride length should be about 6-7 of the pitcher’s shoe lengths.

Kyle: (Not really a pitcher)

Zack J.:

Comments: Big kid looks to have good strength. Starts off delivery well - leads with front hip early but plants front foot right away. As a result, stride looks to be way too short. I’m thinking this may be caused by poor glove side action in that he turns the glove over too early. Have him try to get the glove arm into an “equal and opposite” position and maintain that until as close to front foot plant as possible. If it feels like he’s having to hold the glove out front artificially long, tell him to get his body moving faster to get into foot plant quicker. “Equal and opposite” means equal bends in the elbows but not much more than that. Arms can be bent different directions: one up and one down, one up and one horizontal, both horizontal, etc.

Zach O:

Alex:

Comments: Doesn’t really use his lower half - reaches with the front foot but stride is too short. Needs to use lower body to get his center of gravity (think “hips”) moving sooner and faster. Also needs to get glove arm extended more into “equal and opposite” position and maintain until as close to front foot plant as possible.

Taber:

Brantley:

Jon B:

Comments: Doesn’t get his center of gravity moving. Has poor glove stability. Stride is short. Plants on a mostly straight front leg. Would like to see this pitcher move faster down the hill and plant on a more bent front leg. He may find it easier to do by starting with his knees bent slightly. Would also like to see him firm up the glove and stabilize it somewhere in front of his torso. Can’t tell from the side view but pitcher may lean back towards 1B as he goes into knee lift. If so, he should eliminate this “lean” by starting with some bend at the waist. Think “batting stance” or “free throw shooting” position.

Brooks:

Comments: Gets hips moving forward early and keeps them moving - very good. Overall mechanics look good. Only issue is getting glove arm to “equal and opposite” and keeping it there as close to front foot plant a possible. This will let him delay shoulder rotation a bit longer and get more hip and shoulder separation (assuming he’s got the flexibility in the core - he is pretty stocky). That should let him get out over the front foot little more and release the ball in front of his front foot. It could also get him another mph or two.

Dylan B:

Christian:

Turner:

Brett:

Brock:

William:

You are the man! Greatly appreciated.

So far so good Roger. We are literally taking your words and working on them every day.

Can’t thank you enough for taking the time.

Roger,

I’ve asked for advice for 2 years, and you have always been there for Connor.
Once again, I see you are helping other pitchers.
You are one of the best.
You truly are passionate and love the game.

Regards,

vtleaffan

vtleaffan,

Thanks for the kind words. There was a time when the number of users on this site wasn’t as large and I could get around to providing feedback on all of the videos that were posted. Now, the number of users - and, therefore, the number of videos posted - is much larger and I just don’t have the time to review them all. But I do what I can.

Thanks, again.
-Roger

Wow Roger, what a great set of analysis on these kids…you really took some time. Cudo’s to you.

SOmething I see in all your pitchers is: too much body movement starting at the rock step, keep the action of the feet and body quiet, big rocking actions aren’t going to help velocity the only thing that it will do is defeat balance.

I look forward to seeing some video in a month with some of Rogers mechanics instilled in them.

Good Luck.