Please comment on mechanics for 11 year old

Clicking the link takes me to a page where it asks me to log in.

I think that you either made the video private or gave us the wrong link. By the way when you add a you tube video click on the square above that says YouYube then put the URL in and the click the square YouTube again. Then preview the post after you sign out of your You Tube account.

I fixed it guys. Thanks.

I put this on here almost a week ago and haven’t got one critique. Please look at the vids and let me know what you see. Thank you.

Hit pitching mechanics seem to be very smooth and easy for an 11 year old. His finish though doesn’t seem to put him in a very good defensive position for the comebacker. Looks like he has a hop right when the ball would be back at him. In addition he seems to end a little upright. Keep it up and we look forward to seeing more.

Not bad. Looks like a big boy for 11.

First thing is to eliminate all head movement in directions other than towards home plate. In this case, it boils down to two things. First, he needs to start with his feet closer together. Right now, his feet are far enough apart that he has to shift his weight toward 2B to go into knee lift. That makes his head move towards 2B. Position the feet closer together so he can lift his knee without the weight shift. Second thing is to put a slight bend at the waist and in the knees to put him in a more athletic position so that his can lift his knee without having to lean back toward 1B. Think “batting stance”.

After making the above adjustments, I would have him try to keep his glove up in front a bit longer - as close to front foot plant as possible. This will help him keep his shoulders closed longer and rotate later which, in turn, will help use his body better to create velocity and it will let him get his release point closer to home plate. Right now, his shoulders rotate about the same time as the hips. Ideally, shoulders should rotate after this hips and after maximum hip and shoulder separation is achieved. So, as he goes into his stride and he extends the glove out front, his arms should achieve an “equal and opposite” position which means equal angles at the elbows and nothing more. Arms can be bent one up and one down, one up and one horizontal, both horizontal, etc. Direction of bend doesn’t matter. Only the amount of bend matters. If he can stay equal and opposite until as close to foot plant as possible, he will improve his timing of shoulder rotation.

First off, I should explain that I am a reliever. My strength lies in getting people out by out-pitching the hitter. My focus is on accuracy and placement. Not speed. In my opinion, 95% of all “pitchers” are throwers. They throw the ball in the general directino of home plate and pray. I pitch. I had an ERA of 1.0 with 9 appearances (in 10 games. I was called up from JV) and was 1st reliever as varsity pitcher in my junior year of high school. I was hurt my senior year. I was offered the opportunity to play in college but declined to get a professional degree.

Now then onto the mechanics.

Your son has very good mechanics for a kid his age. He pulls off the ball occasionally, but its over pretty good. Now the following is my interpretation of what i see are the flaws, why i think it’s a flaw, and how to fix it.

I really only see 5 points to fix. Three are related to his motion starting position.

1. His knees aren’t bent in the windup.

When he raises his leg, his head shouldn’t move up or down. It needs to stay absolutely still. The goal of this movement is to both generate potential energy and time the motion. Excess movement causes hiccups in the motion and will hurt his accuracy.

The best way to drill him on this would be to have him practice in front of a mirror and do repetitions of his knee lift and have him watch himself. Ask him every time he does it if it’s perfect.

Keeping his body still during the leg lift will help him in being able to place pitches. He wont have to deal with as blurry a target or being off balance if he irons that out.

1. His setup position needs to be adjusted so his shoulders point towards the right handed batters box.

Currently his shoulders are pointed behind the right handed batters box. You want his shoulders going right into that box. You want his head to move down his shoulder towards the plate, not around it or forward or backwards etc. The head MUST take a linear motion to the plate for a consistent release point. Again, movement causes inaccuracy.

(Hip and shoulder separation is moot point at his age. He doesn’t have the core strength to counter over-coiling and wont until he starts working out in earnest. Come back to this when he is 13-14 years old and has a better grasp of how his body moves.)

In his case, his starting shoulder position means he will a majority of the time miss up and / or in if he rushes his motion. (If he says anything about bouts elbow pain, it means he’s trying to hard. Tell him to throw with his legs.)

Tell him to point his shoulders to the batter and have him put his hands and glove right under his chin about 4-6 inches away from his chest. This should help keep his shoulders in line with his target and prevent excess movement and timing issues.

1. His stance is too wide for his size.

The reason for this stagger is so that he can pick up the front foot without having his shoulders move. Again, the goal is to minimize excess motion. His torso shouldn’t move anywhere but towards the plate until he finishes separation of his hands ( no hip rotation until opposite but equal is achieved)

You want his feet to stay inside of his torso with the ball of his right foot in the arch of his left.

1. He needs better arm extension.

You want him to be “sneaky fast” and by that i mean you want to minimize ball travel time. An extra 6 inches of extension gives an apparent speed increase of a mile an hour without actually throwing any harder.

In his motion he need to reach towards the plate. You want his back to get as close to horizontal as possible after he releases the ball.

There are a few ways you can try and develop this. One, you could have him try and touch his tips of his fingers through the catchers glove. Or you could have him try and though his left ankle with his right hand. Another variation of this would could have him attempt to touch his push off foot to his right shoulder. Both will help him with arm extension.

1. He’s moving to quickly down the mound.

Speed down the mound has nothing to do with power. Nolan Ryan was slow down the mound and still had a 100 MPH fastball.

Do your best to keep his motion slow and his head

Honestly, it’s much easier if i just posted a youtube video showing you what i mean. Just remember that the key to being consistent is MOTION ECONOMY.