Playing Tricks with a Base Runner

I got this one from one of the most funniest guys I’ve ever had the privilege to know. He was a first baseman that held down that job on two separate clubs that I was with - and he had no equal.

His imagination would work overtime with runners on first. And here’s one number that he’d work.

With a runner on his bag, he’d play just behind him so he couldn’t really see what was going on behind him. The runner would naturally think that he’d be cutting off the view of the batter and any hit in his direction … but the joke was on the base runner.

Behind the base runner this first baseman would make a tick-tack-doe square, then mark an “X”. Then when the base runner would waltz back to the bag for a retouch - the first baseman would glance down at the tick-tack-doe area with a look of " so, what-do you think?" Without fail, the guy would give a second glance down and momentarily stare … just enough time for …PICK OFF!!!.

Never seen it fail!

Coach B.

Another favorite of his was putting a very small tape recorder in his back pocket. He had a recording of a lady laughing – like you hear at the circus or something.

So, when a guy started to take a rather large lead off his bag, he’d reach back and hit the button… real deep belly laugh of a lady laughing herself silly would distract the guy just enough … PICK OFF!!!

Another favorite of his was to put fake vomit on grass, right in front of where most of the base runners would stop and try and time the pitcher. Never failed to catch a few guys with that one. A quick glance down at … what the … PICK OFF!!

Then sometimes he’d wait for the runner to start to take his lead, then he’d put a real large fake tarantula spider on the leading edge of the bag… when the guy came back for a retouch … WHOAAA!!! That had a few guys stopped dead in their tracks … got him tossed a few times … but it got a few laughs.

I gotta try this stuff, I can sometimes get people by singing to them but I never get the throw. :frowning:

Just make sure you have a coaching staff that’s as nutty as you are when you bring these kind of shenanigans onto the field. Some Skippers have no sense of humor, not to mention some umpires. And on that note, our first baseman got tossed twice for pulling that stuff by two different 1st base umpires who declared that kind of thing wasn’t in keeping with the sprit of the game.(?)

Coach B.

[quote=“Coach Baker”]

Just make sure you have a coaching staff that’s as nutty as you are when you bring these kind of shenanigans onto the field. Some Skippers have no sense of humor, not to mention some umpires. And on that note, our first baseman got tossed twice for pulling that stuff by two different 1st base umpires who declared that kind of thing wasn’t in keeping with the sprit of the game.(?)

Coach B.[/quote]

IMO it’s funny and beneficial to get someones attention by doing something goofy or distracting but once you start bringing props that’s a little much in my opinion. Funny yes, but you’re getting farther away from playing the game and closer to just screwing around. Loved the post coach b!

Another thing this first baseman use to do constantly … was tell jokes.

A batter would get on first safely, then call time , take off his batting gloves, lean over and get some advice form his first base coach … then take a couple of steps off the bag and play would start again.

All would be still … quiet… then the guy would hear …" so, have you heard the one about the priest, the rabbi and the goat in a canoe going over Niagara Falls?

A montentary snap of the head by the runner … with that deer-in-the- headlights-look …" What???"

… PICK OFF!!

haha, ur crazy coach B. Good stuff man.

Too bad I’m a catcher. :frowning: