Player's Options

Got to thinking today about the MLB and Player’s Options.

I know there’s a set number that each player has for the amount of times they are sent down.

But what happens to a players options if they change position in specific from a Pitcher to a fielder or a fielder to a Pitcher for example Adam Loewen and Sergio Santos?

Any info on this would be great.

Thanks

Wales,
You have some of the best questions I’ve seen. These questions not only inform, but have a classroom type instruction base to them. Like this question here.

First off, I am not associated with the Affiliates (Minor/MLB), but it is my understanding that unless a player has negotiated differently, he can ride the winds either way as many times as the MLB club that he’s with, says so.

As far as a position player changing positions, again, if the player has negotiated differently, his direction up-n-down depends on the club he’s with. Some ride this trip for their entire career.

I know this may not seem like a glamorous life, but some make a fairly decent living – even into the coaching ranks, scouting, marketing and promotions, etc. In fact, the experience and learning curve for a man who has a reasonable personality, everyone seems to like the man, he’s accepted the route and seems to be an “organization type guy”, can view this kind of up-n-down trip as exposure to the entire organization’s way of doing business. So, as age and newer talent starts to squeeze out those with lessor ability, having someone think of a man in terms of … “how about a job doing…… “ isn’t all that bad, especially when baseball is all a man knows. It’s not a bad life, although it can be a stretch at times – especially if a man has a family.

Coach B.

Your question and Coach B’s answer got me thinking about a catcher in the Tiger’s organization. I watched him play in AA… seemed like forever. My son met him when he was throwing out the first pitch at a game and he was really just a great personality.

A 26th round draft pick, Max St. Pierre spent 14 years in the minors. Finally got a brief chance to play in Detroit. His hitting was always questioned. The Brewers tried to make him a pitcher but that just didn’t work out. He battled with alcohol problems off and on and as a french speaking Canadian from Quebec, found it hard to communicate with the English and Spanish speaking pitchers. He was just recently suspended for 50 games for violation of the drug policy. Most of the above was mentioned in articles about his suspension.

Here is a guy that has really given his life to baseball and I hope the Tigers can find continued employment for him in the game, be it coaching, scouting or marketing. Just really think he deserves at least that for his determination to stick with the game.

Thanks for the compliments Coach B and the reply as well.

I got this answer from a person affiliated with MLB directly.

And thought I’d pass it along.

Dino,

Here’s some info on St. Pierre
http://www.canadianbaseballnetwork.com/articles/st-pierre-decides-to-try-les-capitales-mound/
thought you might want to know.

Very nice. Thanks Wales. I appreciate the information and I’m glad Max has an opportunity to put this behind him. I’m not condoning dope smoking but the US of A is a rough place to make mistakes. You have all kinds of friends until you make a mistake and then you take a look behind you and a tumbleweed blows by, you hear a lonely whistle and a rattlesnake shakes its tail. Max might find us a tad bit hypocritical when a Cy Young Award winner can be found in possession of weed without catastrophic professional consequences but then minor league journeyman gets burned at the stake for a similar thing. No wonder he didn’t feel like playing in the US anymore. Kinda ironic hearing that from a guy with my background? Well, that’s one less guy who will pay taxes to Uncle Sam…and more to come.

No problem Dino glad I could pass the info along.