Play Baseball Again?

Hey, I hope this is the correct forum for this.

I haven’t played baseball in any kind of league since I was young. I was homeschooled so I didn’t have the opportunity to play in High School. I’m 19 now and not in good shape at all, which is why I feel like an idiot trying to get some guidance on this. But I love baseball, I live and die for it and it’s the most important thing to me.

I’ve done the relatively meaningless things to try and at least play baseball. I go to batting cages and play games with friends and stuff. I know that I can play the game, I just need to get back into it somehow. I’m a catcher and have always kept up my gear and upgraded. I just haven’t had the opportunity to play.

Now I am in college and I want more than anything else to try out for the baseball team. I’m extremely motivated and driven to do whatever I can to play this game. I just don’t know where to go, where to start.

If there’s anyone here who can point me in a direction as to where to start; books, websites, anything… I would be hugely in debted. I know this is almost impossible, given I haven’t played in any competitive league in quite a long time. But I’m committed to making it work somehow, in any way.

You did come to the right forum and your not dumb for asking any question. The first thing I would do is find out who the assistant and head coaches are and go and talk to them about walk-on tryouts. They are over right now, but you can start training for next season. Normally our walk-on tryouts are almost right when school begins and then we start fall practice right away.

Also start training and get yourself into playing shape, just like all sports there are no off-season and you get to test how dedicated you are right now, because if you are able to push yourself on your own then it will hopefully make the transition into organized ball easy.

I hope I helped you out somehow, if you need to ask anymore questions feel free to post more as there are a lot of baseball minds on this forum with 1,000,000 different opinions. :stuck_out_tongue:

One place to start is the tryouts for your college team. You will at least get a sense of what you need to develop.

There are many guys (e.g. David Eckstein) who got started as walk-ons.

Depending on where you are you can probably find an adult baseball league to play in. You won’t see the competition you’d see in college but it would help.

Another thing you can do is try to find pitchers who need someone to catch bullpens for them. Find out who the pitching coach is at the school. Odds are he is giving pitching lessons on the side. If so, he might be happy to have someone catch bullpens for free.

Here’s a site:

http://www.dugout.org/dugout/findaleague/league_list.htm

Tryouts for the college team may not necessarily be “over” — it depends on the school. When I coached in college (at D-1 level), we would welcome athletes in both the fall and the spring. To us, the most important thing was a player’s willingness to commit himself to the team, and do everything he could to make the team and himself better.

That said, get moving on talking to the coaches and players at your school. It might not be too late to walk on and stay with the team this year — especially since you are a catcher. A team can almost always use an extra catcher, especially one who is willing to work hard, have a good attitude, and sacrifice himself for the team.

Also your school might have a “club” team; again, speak to the coach.

If there’s no chance of walking on this year, by all means get involved with a semipro / adult league ASAP — many start playing games in April or earlier, depending on the location. Two places to start looking are www.dugout.org and www.scorebook.com. The college coach and players can also be good resources for finding a team.

Where are you going to school ?

I can’t thank you guys enough for your help.

I’m currently going to school at Missouri State University in Springfield, MO.

The notion of perhaps catching bullpens is a great idea. I started the year in a different school but moved back home due to an illness in the family which has brought me to Missouri State. The Spring semester starts next week and I’m going to get in contact with the baseball coach as soon as possible.

I’ve got a ton of work to do before I’ll be in a positive physical shape to play. If I can get my foot in the door in some fashion, helping out the team in some way this season, I can get acquainted with the team, get back into baseball, and focus on getting back into the necessary shape before the next season begins.

Thanks a lot, guys. I really appreciate the help and I plan to be sticking around this forum. Thanks again.

I am in your conference! I am a RHP at Indiana State, we will be @ your guys’ place this yr.

That’s awesome. Have you been down here before? Hammonds Field is an awesome place to play.

Yeah I was down there two years ago, Hammonds field is an awesome place to play. I am pretty sure its where the conference tournament is this year as well.

Great point!

Maybe offer yourself up as a bullpen catcher. I would think a coach might be interested in that since it would reduce wear and tear on his starting catchers and give them more time to work on things like throwdowns.