Pithcing from the stretch

What is considered a good release time from start to finish from the stretch??? Most of my pichers seem to be in the upper 2 sec. range on my stopwatch. Where should we be in order to sucussfully hold a runner in check??? Also, any good tips out there about teaching good mechanics out of the stretch.

Thanks, Shawn Ryan; High School Pitching Coach

My experience is that the best pitchers at holding runners vary in time of delivery, have multiple moves (University of North Florida works on at least 5 different moves) and works at keeping everyone off balance, including using the slide step, if you have a consistant timed delivery the results are that you get timed. I realize that this isn’t real scientific but consider if you work on speeding up the delivery at the cost of not being able to attempt a pic or doing so forcies a predictable pattern? A combined strategy and a pitcher/catcher/1st baseman working in union will be more successful, more often. How much do you practice holding runners?

From the time the stride legs picks up to the time the ball is released needs to be in the 1.3 second range. Lefties not necessary cause they use the balk move.

If your talking total time from when you come set the best thing is to vary that as much a possible. A pitcher will naturally hold the ball for 1 second and then go.

For the 1.3 seconds the math works out with about a half second (.5) in flight time to home, then a good catcher is usually 2 seconds pop time, and the baserunner generally take 3.5 give or take.

So 3.8 to get the ball there, and 4 for the runner to be there.
(numbers are just general approximations)

At the highschool level it may not need to be as quick seeing a lot of guys are not that fast. On the other hand if catchers have a particularly poor poptime that also makes it very challenging.

Although you want to be quick, I would no1t recomend the slide step at all.

Picked the following up from Mr. Ellis and like it a lot.

I like the idea of a knee to knee leg pickup, in which you start your weight distribution 40% front 60% back. It is definately possible to get 1.3 with practice. Slide step is just far to hard to be consistent with, and then almost impossible to throw a good 1-7, 12-6 curveball out of.

I have used the slide step all of my life out of the stretch. In my windup, my leg lift isnt real high like some, but i have never had consistency problems out of the stretch, and throw a 12-6 curve, which i like to think is decent. if it is relevant i throw out of a high 3/4 arm slot.

Agree with JD, it’s not purely about times rather more about deceiving the baserunner. Young pitchers need to vary moves & times to home and bases…and remember that the primary reason to attempt a pick is to shorten the baserunners lead AND make them less agressive on the bases.

Thanks folks for the info on varying release times to prevent runners from getting a good read. As a lefty, I used a combination of a slow move with high leg kick, walk off balk, and the slide step to confuse baserunners. However, I did not have much experience teaching right handers the art of keeping runners close but it appears to be a similiar concept to the left hander approach. The posts were very helpful, Thank you all for the feedback!!!
Shawn Ryan