Pitching

I am considered a power pitcher for my team, and other teams know me as just the guy that throws heat my other pitches are alright but none are killer. Is there anything I can do or another pitch I can learn to have my put-away pitch?

If you really do have 6 pitches, your put away pitch would probably be your best off speed pitch. Fastball to change up to screw with the guys timing (14 mph difference? The slower your change up, the better as long as you don’t slow down your delivery), and a slider to put away the guy. High fast ball to 12-6 curve low in the zone to K them. Etc. Whatever pitch you feel most confident with in the situation.

You may’ve seen this but if you throw 6 pitches with deception and decent command, you’ll have the hitters confused all day.

That’s the problem somehow hitters take most of my offspeed oppo or back up the middle whether it’s low high inside or outside

Get some video up of yourself, there’s a chance you could be tipping.

If I post this will I get good advice or people being jackasses?

Go to the Mechs forum and see for yourself.

Alright I will get my video up ASAP

oppo?

Anyways, just remember, an off speed pitch looks better when you’re ahead of the count as opposed to behind the count.

Forget what kind of pitcher people categorize you as. Do you know how the ML defines a “power pitcher”?

The best out pitch you can have is a plus-plus fastball for your age/level. Work on that before anything else.

No I don’t know how they categorize a power pitcher. And a plus plus?

Please allow me to tell you.

The ML considers a power pitcher to be one who walks or Ks 28% of all batters faced.

A Finesse pitcher is one who walks or Ks less than 24% of all batters faced.

I’ve used that formula to look at HSV pitchers too, and found it to be a reasonable rule of thumb. I don’t know why it wouldn’t be a good guideline for any level.

Although I don’t know how to exaactly calculate that I can say so far I have throw 24 1/3 innings with 31 strikeouts and I have given up 7 runs and 19 hits, and 9 walks. If you can figure out anything from that it’d be appreciated.

You’ll love how simple it is to calculate. You divide (Walks+Ks) by Batters. So you have (31+9) divided by batters. In order to do the calculation, you’ll need to get the number of batters you’ve faced. Batters = (Walks+HBPs+CI+At Bats)

[quote=“scorekeeper”]
The ML considers a power pitcher to be one who walks or Ks 28% of all batters faced.

I’ve used that formula to look at HSV pitchers too, and found it to be a reasonable rule of thumb. I don’t know why it wouldn’t be a good guideline for any level.[/quote]

Too many walks, inconsistent umpires, and bad swings in 14U and under to be an effective guideline. :shock: In 15 games and 980 AB this season (both teams combined), there’s been 161 walks and 181 Ks, for a 35% rate.

But I like having a guideline. The formula works for our team’s two starting pitchers. The #1 pitcher is a finesse guy, and he’s at 25%. My son is the power guy. He’s 45% for the year, but it’s only been the last two games where he’s getting comfortable and feeling like he’s in command, and it’s up to 56%.

Thanks for the guideline!

[quote=“West2East”][quote=“scorekeeper”]

I’ve used that formula to look at HSV pitchers too, and found it to be a reasonable rule of thumb. I don’t know why it wouldn’t be a good guideline for any level.[/quote]

Too many walks, inconsistent umpires, and bad swings in 14U and under to be an effective guideline. :shock: In 15 games and 980 AB this season (both teams combined), there’s been 161 walks and 181 Ks, for a 35% rate.

But I like having a guideline. The formula works for our team’s two starting pitchers. The #1 pitcher is a finesse guy, and he’s at 25%. My son is the power guy. He’s 45% for the year, but it’s only been the last two games where he’s getting comfortable and feeling like he’s in command, and it’s up to 56%.

Thanks for the guideline![/quote]

Just make sure you use PAs and not ABs. And don’t get too down in the mouth as he gets older and moves up in levels when the percentages drop. All that happens is, the hitters generally get much better. Its interesting to me to run the numbers excluding walks. Some pitchers really fall when you do that.