Pitching

Hey guys, I have questions on pitching. I am going to see if i can make the baseball team at my school this year as a pitcher. Problem is, im having difficulty with my control on different types of pitches. Also having difficulty remaining consistent in the delivery to the plate (set-up, wind-up, release point, etc.) Anybody have any advice for me? I believe my bad control is a result of how im delivering the baseball. I need some advice.

I have problem with my control too but can’t fix it. Someone tell us how to fix please? :smiley:

Here’s what I used to do when I was a little snip, twelve or so. I would get a catcher, and either he would mark off a pitcher’s rubber and a home plate with chalk on a flat surface, at the requisite 60’6" distance—the only problem with that is that the markings could easily be scuffed into oblivion—or, if we had access to an unused playing field, I would take the mound and he would get behind the plate with a catcher’s mitt. We would play a little game we called “ball and strike”, in which he would position his mitt in various places, high, low, inside, outside, every which way but standing on his head ( :lol: ), and what I would do was concentrate on getting the ball smack-dab into the pocket of the mitt. It was more than a drill; it was a terrific workout and a lot of fun, and what a satisfying feeling it was to hear that “thwack” whenever the ball hit the pocket. I was a natural sidearmer, and I would do this with all my pitches at varying speeds, and even after I acquired a sizeable arsenal I continued to do this workout. I even did it with the crossfire—that’s a move that works only with the sidearm delivery—and from time to time I would have someone stand in the batter’s box so I could really zero in on the strike zone.
We would go at this for an hour at a time, and believe me, there is no better way to sharpen up one’s control. This was expecially important for me because I did not have a fast ball to speak of and had to rely on “snake jazz”—a wide assortment of breaking stuff. And it paid off handsomely.