Pitching workout to gain velocity

I need to gain about 8 miles an hour to be in the upper 80’s. Do you have any workouts i could do?

Compound lifts, long toss, mobility/flexibility work, etc. Too vague of a question to just blindly recommend anything.

Whats up kyleb?

hey gtanhill4. There are alot of things that you can do in order to get faster.

The biggest thing is that you got to be strong. Your whole body’s got to be one unit.

I would recommend a simple workout routine and stick to it even during the season.

Mon: Chest
Tues: Back
wed:off
thurs: shoulders/arms
fri: legs
sat/sun:off

Now this offseason, but if you were in season your routine would have to be combined

Mon: chest/shoulders
tues: Back/legs
wed:off
thurs: arms
fri:off
sat/sun:off

Plus always keep it heavy at least 5-8 reps. And 4-5sets.

Chest:

Dumbell flat bench press
Dumbell Incline bench press
Chest flys

Back:

Deadlift
Barbell row
Pull ups/chinups

Shoulders

Military Press
Side laterals
reverse flys

Legs

Squats i usually do around 8 sets for these. Legs are important
jumping calf raises
Jumping squats

Arms

Bicep curls
Incline dumbell curl
Hammer curls

close grip bench press
skull crushers
heavy dips

That is the program i used and gained nearly 25lbs of muscle and only 4lbs of fat.

Also do it during the in season as well. You are very young and can recover extremely quicker than major league players who play 162 games a year. Plus they are in their last 20’s early 30’s.

Also the biggest thing is NUTRTITION

You can lift all you want. If you do not eat over you “daily calorie maintence level” Then you will not get any muscle at all, nor will you get stronger at all.

So ya what i recommend is googling “daily calorie maintence intake”

They will ask your height, age, weight, your activity level. I train 5 days a week intense. So i require 3,000 calories for maintence. So i eat 3,500 calories over maintence to gain 1lb of muscle a week.

If you aren’t gaining your weight, then increase your calories by at least 300-500 until you start gaining weight.

Another thing. Strength and muscle is good but you want to be explosive on the mound. Strength and speed, Equals POWER. Thats what you want

So i would recommend doing some plyometric training as well.

Plenty of exercises on youtube and you can just google “plyometric training for baseball”

Some examples would be:

Jumping Squats
Jumping Calf touches
Long jumps
Box Squats

Many others too just got to look into them

But ya the biggest thing is your legs. Go really heavy with them. Go heavy weight your deadlifts. I use only dumbells with your chest, cause you don’t want your chest to bulky or you will lose velocity

I Hope this helped, if you have any other questions just let me know

Also i think it would be good if every single day you go through your mechaincs with a glove and a ball, and mimic doing them.
Go threw your wind up 30 times in the morning from the full wind up and maybe 30 times from the stretch after supper or in the afternoon

So lets sum it up

Lift heavy
Follow a good routine. I gave you mine that helped me pack on 25lbs
Do Plyometrics
Hit your legs hard(thats where the power comes from
NUTRITION(go to see your daily calorie intake)
Practice your mechanics.

If you need help with your nutrition ask me anything. I can give you some nutrtion meal and plans.

Kid (baby boy) on the way in 5 weeks. Busy at the facility. Writing for two sites plus a “project” in the works. Filming in the biomechanics lab often. Busy at my day job. Started my summer baseball season myself. Rehabbing a fractured spine.

Other than that, not much :wink:

Kid (baby boy) on the way in 5 weeks. Busy at the facility. Writing for two sites plus a “project” in the works. Filming in the biomechanics lab often. Busy at my day job. Started my summer baseball season myself. Rehabbing a fractured spine.

Other than that, not much ;)[/quote]

Contests on the baby boy. As for the back, ouch!

Other than that, not much ;)[/quote]

Contests on the baby boy. As for the back, ouch![/quote]

Here’s a tip for all you youngin’s out there: Don’t slouch in your chair for 27 years of your life. That’s what did me in.