Pitching Workout Help

My current nightly workout is -

1 - 25lb dumbell curls - 2 sets of 25 reps (per arm)

2 - I create my own “ghetto” barbell using a single 25lb dumbell and do 5 sets of 20 rep “barbell” curls

3 - 25lb dumbell shrugs - 4 sets - 20-20-30-30

4 - 200 sit ups (straight)

I really have no idea what I’m doing when it comes to working out. I am 14 and really have no idea what amount of weight I should be lifting either. I’m 5’10" and though I don’t know how much I weigh, if I had to guess, probably 120-130lbs. My legs grew faster than the rest of me. haha Thanks in advance.

• John

STOP your current workout right away. Curls do very little, if anything, for baseball performance and may actually hinder your throwing ability if you gain too much muscle mass. As for creating your own workout, assuming you have a genral strength base, go with this workout I picked up from LankyLefty:

You obviously need to throw in other aspects to your training (plyo’s, conditioning, arm care, etc.) and you are lucky to be on one of the most informational websites around. Start researching.

If you can, get Ron Wolforth’s “The Combat Pitcher”. It helps a ton.

Good Luck.

[quote=“7Steps”]STOP your current workout right away. Curls do very little, if anything, for baseball performance and may actually hinder your throwing ability if you gain too much muscle mass. As for creating your own workout, assuming you have a genral strength base, go with this workout I picked up from LankyLefty:

You obviously need to throw in other aspects to your training (plyo’s, conditioning, arm care, etc.) and you are lucky to be on one of the most informational websites around. Start researching.

If you can, get Ron Wolforth’s “The Combat Pitcher”. It helps a ton.

Good Luck.[/quote]

Thanks for the link, I’m in the middle of reading the article. Building muscle would probably be good for me right now though. I am mostly tone, but I really don’t have as much meat as I probably need. As I stated above I am 5’10" and between 120-130lbs. I have no idea what the average is for a 14 year old of my size but that doesn’t seem very appealing to me.

Good god man, you are emaciated! You need to eat some food. Mass is put on not by exercise, but by diet. Start drinking a lot of milk per day, and don’t think about “eating clean” all the time.

As for your exercise program, it could use some work. Look into compound movements like squats, deadlifts, rows, chin-ups, and so forth.

Here’s a very basic (yet very good) workout that I recommend:

I recommend adapting it for pitchers - a basic modification would look like this:

Workout A
3x5 Front Squat
3x5 Neutral Grip DB Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Front Squat
3x5 Pendlay Row
5x3 Clean High Pull

[quote=“kyleb”]Good god man, you are emaciated! You need to eat some food. Mass is put on not by exercise, but by diet. Start drinking a lot of milk per day, and don’t think about “eating clean” all the time.

As for your exercise program, it could use some work. Look into compound movements like squats, deadlifts, rows, chin-ups, and so forth.

I recommend adapting it for pitchers - a basic modification would look like this:

Workout A
3x5 Front Squat
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Front Squat
3x5 Pendlay Row
5x3 Clean High Pull[/quote]

That’s it. I’m getting a flipping barbell. haha I really need one but I have no idea where to get one without going through the hassle of buying an entire barbell weight set.

[quote=“BoStros”][quote=“kyleb”]Good god man, you are emaciated! You need to eat some food. Mass is put on not by exercise, but by diet. Start drinking a lot of milk per day, and don’t think about “eating clean” all the time.

Workout A
3x5 Front Squat
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Front Squat
3x5 Pendlay Row

That’s it. I’m getting a flipping barbell. haha I really need one but I have no idea where to get one without going through the hassle of buying an entire barbell weight set.[/quote]

It can be pretty expensive to outfit your own home gym, even if you buy used. Mine is nearly complete and has run me about $1200 for everything I needed (power cage, barbell and weights, dumbbells, bumper plates, mats, plyo boxes, weight sled, etc).

Can you work out at school? Or your local rec center or YMCA? See if your parents will commit to a membership for you.

[quote=“kyleb”][quote=“BoStros”][quote=“kyleb”]Good god man, you are emaciated! You need to eat some food. Mass is put on not by exercise, but by diet. Start drinking a lot of milk per day, and don’t think about “eating clean” all the time.

Workout A
3x5 Front Squat
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Front Squat
3x5 Pendlay Row

That’s it. I’m getting a flipping barbell. haha I really need one but I have no idea where to get one without going through the hassle of buying an entire barbell weight set.[/quote]

It can be pretty expensive to outfit your own home gym, even if you buy used. Mine is nearly complete and has run me about $1200 for everything I needed (power cage, barbell and weights, dumbbells, bumper plates, mats, plyo boxes, weight sled, etc).

Can you work out at school? Or your local rec center or YMCA? See if your parents will commit to a membership for you.[/quote]

I’ll have to look into that. I currently home schooled. Gonna go off to high school next year and I really wanna put as much time into working out as I can before high school becomes a time consumer and even then I’ll need a short, effective routine.

[quote=“BoStros”]My current nightly workout is -

1 - 25lb dumbell curls - 2 sets of 25 reps (per arm)

2 - I create my own “ghetto” barbell using a single 25lb dumbell and do 5 sets of 20 rep “barbell” curls

3 - 25lb dumbell shrugs - 4 sets - 20-20-30-30

4 - 200 sit ups (straight)

I really have no idea what I’m doing when it comes to working out. I am 14 and really have no idea what amount of weight I should be lifting either. I’m 5’10" and though I don’t know how much I weigh, if I had to guess, probably 120-130lbs. My legs grew faster than the rest of me. haha Thanks in advance.

• John[/quote]

BoStros -

Good job on starting to workout.

Just a few questions that might help the folks on this board help you -

It might be helpful to let everyone know what workout equipment you have around the house (you listed some - is this all you have). That way if you can’t get to the rec center or YMCA or can only purchase a little equipment at a time - some folks could probably give you a more informed opinion about what you can do during your workouts to make you stronger or faster with what equipment you have available. I don’t want you not to workout because you don’t have what some would consider the right equipment to do specific lifts or your parents don’t have the time to haul you around town or can’t afford to buy you a bunch of new equipment.

Do you have any back, shoulder, elbow, or knee problems or pains? Have you ever injured any of these joints?

If you are going to workout at home - would you have a workout partner or would you be working out by yourself?

How many days per week (on average) do you have to workout and how much time per day to do you have to workout?

But most important what do you want to get from working out and how are those goals related to becoming a better pitcher or baseball player?

If these goals are related to a problem that someone has told you about - what did that person say to you and was that person a coach, parent, or fellow player (how qualified were they to identify the problem)?

[quote=“kidmullen”]

BoStros -

Good job on starting to workout.

Just a few questions that might help the folks on this board help you -

It might be helpful to let everyone know what workout equipment you have around the house (you listed some - is this all you have). That way if you can’t get to the rec center or YMCA or can only purchase a little equipment at a time - some folks could probably give you a more informed opinion about what you can do during your workouts to make you stronger or faster with what equipment you have available. I don’t want you not to workout because you don’t have what some would consider the right equipment to do specific lifts or your parents don’t have the time to haul you around town or can’t afford to buy you a bunch of new equipment.[/quote]

I have a dumbell starter kit. 5-35lbs

Here’s a couple of stories - 1 - Over a year ago when I had nobody to play catch with, I would throw a tennis ball at a fence. Pitching tennis ball = worst idea I ever had. I didn’t throw for a couple months. Of course the proceeding season, I was actually used more than any other pitcher in my league I believe. One game I even threw over 90 pitches. - 2 - Also in the last game of last season, I was hit by a fastball on the left side of my right knee. I limped a couple steps and fell to the ground. it swelled up and I kept ice on it for 2-3 days. Even after it healed, it would flare up on me and get kinda tight every once in a while like when I was mowing the lawn, etc. I haven’t had that happen in the past few months so I think I may be good but I hope this helps.

Solo.

[quote]

I currently work out every night and my workout usually takes about an hour or so. I suppose I could put more time than that into it. That would take some more dedication on my part but it can be done.

Probably durability as a player in general. As i said I love the game and would like to play for a long time to come. Plus, who doesn’t wanna look good? haha

Nope. Not at all. I have been told that it would be like icing on the cake for me to build some muscle and gain some velocity, speed, leg strength etc.

Hope this helps guys.

If you can’t train with barbells, try checking out Ross Enemait’s stuff at rosstraining.com. He has great bodyweight and simple implement training stuff (medballs, sand bags, sledgehammers, etc).

If you have a Play it Again Sports near your house you should be able to pick up what you need for a cheaper price. There are plenty here in AZ.

John,

Your workouts are missing some key components to strength training for pitchers. You do not want to focus on single body exercises, but rather full body lifts that will strengthen your core and your overall explosiveness. Certain lifts to focus on would be the front squat, back squat, dead lift, bench press, cleans, barbell lunges, bentover rows, jump shrugs and pullups. Including short sprints and plyometric drills into you routine are also a good idea. Some great plyometric drills would be the box jump, broad jump, vertical jump, side to side hops, front and back hops and explosive pushups. Some medball work is always important to a pitchers training program as well. Side throws, over head throws and slams are all good exercises. Always make sure you get a good stretch in after all your training. Best of luck!

In my opinion, the best beginner’s weight training program out there.

You’ll get strong, fast.

It’s a 5x5 program, and there is all the info you will need on the site (including how-to’s and other information for each exercise).

I’m currently on this program (although I’m not new to weightlifting), and it has been great. Huge gains in my strength.

My only problem with it is doing pushups on the same day as bench press… something I cut out of the routine early. The two exercises simply cannot be done productively together on the same day.

Stronglifts is a ripoff of Starting Strength. The latter is better for a lot of reasons.

Perhaps you should name some, instead of just claiming its inferiority.

In exercise, most programs are a rip-off of a previous one.

Just because Stronglifts is free, and therefore more accessible for everyone in general, doesn’t make it inferior to Starting Strength.

Again, I would more than love to hear your criticism of the Stronglifts program, as I have yet to come across any faults (besides the obvious pushup/bench press problem).

There is far too much volume and the author does not understand periodization for the 5x5 program. You will stall very fast and exhaust linear gains too quickly.

Starting Strength is more than a $30 program. It’s a book that describes all the lifts, the biomechanics of them, and the understanding of programming and strength training. It’s invaluable.