Pitching video!

This is a new video of my mechanics. I want you guys to tell me anything you see wrong.

how old are u?
n how hard to do u throw

Im likin the new landing alot better. Way to work on it bud

Depending on whether or not you believe hype about scapular loading your shoulder blades never …contract? is that what they do during scapular loading? I dont know but your front side swings open and you never generate any force from it.

True.

You are pushing the ball instead of throwing it.
The arm is working at its optimum when it translates the energy generated by the body to the wrist all the way to the ball. Now you are generating pretty much all of your enegry from the arm and shoulder, which puts needless stress to pretty much every muscle and ligament and that’s not a very good thing. Not to mention you’re not throwing very hard.

That’s my two euros.

Let me add my two cents.
When I was a kid I would go to Yankee Stadium every chance I got, and I would watch the pitchers. I noticed that the Yankees’ Big Three guys were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in a seamless motion to generate the power behind their pitches. I made a note of this and worked on it, and I quickly discovered that this took a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder—how NOT to get a sore arm! I would suggest that this fellow do the same thing, and if need be to have a pitching coach show him how to do this. It’ll pay off in the long run. :slight_smile: 8)

great mechanics theres just one problem. start your forward momentum a little earlier instead of “stopping at the top”. going forward earlier will help your timing and help you become more consistent

its kindof hard to tell from this angle but it looks like you have very little hip shoulder separation. work on this and you should see some more velocity.

He doesn’t necessarily stop at the top. He just doesn’t, as House would say, get his booty going towards home. His motion is continuous, but there isn’t a lot of momentum.

I don’t think he totally flies open. He does open a little bit early, but it’s nothing crazy. It’s difficult to tell from the angle, but his hips aren’t in bad position right before foot strike. His shoulders are still closed when his hips open up, too, also leading me to believe he doesn’t fly open.

It’s also difficult to tell if his scapulae abduct, but I think you may be on to something with that. I don’t really know why there is hype about scapular loading because pretty much every MLB pitcher does it naturally. I’m not sure what the correlation is between scapular abduction and velocity, but I’m almost 100% positive that scapular abduction is an important process for generating velocity, but I have no evidence to support this. It’s something that should occur naturally. I’m no kinesiologist, although it’s what I’m studying 8) , but there has to be some link with the two. (If someone can further on that, please do!)

I don’t know if that helps, but I hope it does in some way or another.

I disagree with that. I think his hip/shoulder separation isn’t bad at all. It’s not Major League average, per se, but I think it’s fine for his age.