pitching velocity

hey im on my high school jv team im 6’2" and left handed i was just wonderin about my pitching velocity. i only throw about 60 max maybe a little more. but it seems all my coach and pitching coach care about is how fast i throw like im not trying or something but i do have the most ip on our team i was just wonderin if he is right or not or its fine where it is ?

Is that all they care about—how fast you throw? Haven’t they stopped to think about why it is you’re only throwing about 60? I know, that is kind of slow, and you should be closer to 80, 85—but maybe I can tell you a couple of things that should help you ramp up that speed.
First of all—are you throwing with just your arm? Big mistake, and one that could lead to injury. What you need to do is get your whole body into the action, and therein lies something I call “The Secret”. I learned this a long time ago, from three pitchers with the N.Y. Yankees back in the late 40s to the mid-5os—the Big Three, we called them—and this is what they did, all three of them. They drove off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, and that was how they generated the power behind their pitches. You may not have been aware of this, but the effective use of the lower body is the real key to a pitcher’s power, and this is something you need to do. Besides generating the power—and the speed—this takes a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder, so in doing this you would be throwing harder—and faster—with less effort. There are a number of drills and exercises to be found on this website—you can ask Steven Ellis about them—and one of the best is called the “Hershiser” drill, which aims at getting the hips fully involved. If you can get started on it and a few others you will see results in the form of more explosiveness in your delivery—and more speed.
Also, you need to address certain other aspects of your mechanics. It seems to me that no one has paid much attention to this, and if I were you I would get an experienced pitcher or pitching coach to work with you. One such aspect would be your arm slot—are you sure you’re comfortable with the way you’re throwing, or does some change need to be made? If you have a video camera, you should take some film of you pitching, both from the full windup and from the stretch, and post it here on this website so some of us can see just what’s going on. You can be sure that there are a lot of us here who can help. 8)

Well you are on a JV team so that means its fine where it is, I defiately think you should work on improving the velocity for the future though, should work up to the high 70’s with finesse to be a varsity pitcher I would think.

thanks for the advice zita i may post some video in the future we had a pitcher that was a senior last year karston whitson you may have heard of him he pitches for florida now he touched 98 once so i think they just got a little used to that speed. dont just answer this but buy the way if you wer gonna get a new glove would it be rawlings wilson or nokona?

The brand doesn’t matter. You just want to get a glove that you’re comfortable with and that fits your hand, perhaps one that’s easier to break in. Pitchers’ gloves usually run 11 1/2, 12 inches. And it’s worth spending a little extra to get a top quality glove that will last a long time. I remember that the first piece of advice I got from my pitching coach was “Be sure to use a big enough glove so the other team can’t read your pitches. Some of your stuff has distinctive grips.” 8)

Post a video, listen to the comments, go back to the bullpen and work on one of the suggestions. When you feel comfortable in accomplishing one of the suggestions, shoot another video and ask for comments. At first, the list may be longer than you would like, but with hard work and a goal, that list will shorten to just a comment or two - and they may not be negative! Also, read through the threads in pitching mechanics and analysis. Lots of gold in 'em threads.

FWIW, Karsten Whitson news.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/gators/college-baseball-freshman-karsten-whitson-pitches-florida-to-1269841.html
:o

Post a video, listen to the comments, go back to the bullpen and work on one of the suggestions. When you feel comfortable in accomplishing one of the suggestions, shoot another video and ask for comments. At first, the list may be longer than you would like, but with hard work and a goal, that list will shorten to just a comment or two - and they may not be negative! Also, read through the threads in pitching mechanics and analysis. Lots of gold in 'em threads.
[/quote]

This is the best advice. I hope you take advantage of the pitching analysis section! Additionally, you may have a conversation with your coach and ask what he’d like to see you do to improve your speed, if he’s got concerns. You might add med ball, plyos and sprints, as well as a thorough shoulder conditioning program to help improve your velocity in-season. But remember, too - your emphasis now is also to throw strikes and make good pitches. So don’t go overboard with your in-season conditioning. It should support your pitching, not take away from it :slight_smile:

Keep working hard!