Pitching velocity after rehab

I am a 16y/o pitcher who is currently rehabbing from a rotator cuff tear in my throwing shoulder. I don’t know how hard I was throwing before the injury but I just got clocked at 79mph with a 71 mph slider. Not sure how that is for a lanky 16 year old(5’8 150lbs) Feedback on where I’m at would be great. Thanks

kdub
At your age - 16, don’t concern yourself with pitching right now. You have more important priorities on your horizon. First is your body’s reaction and temperament to the injury (depending on the calibrated ranking of your injury), then your future quality of life into your mature years. At 5’8" 150 pounds, there’s not much to work with here, so go easy.

Your surgeon in concert with your therapist has specific do’s-n-don’ts that you must follow to the letter. You’ll be reminded of those “don’ts” every time you reach for a doorknob, raise a window, turn a steering wheel, carry your books from one class to another and so forth. To put it bluntly, this is nothing to screw around with - SO DON’T.

I’ve worked with my fair share of guys, mature guys at that, who have had this surgery and I’ll tell you honestly, you don’t want a life of agony and pain doing the simplest of things - like rolling out of your bunk on that shoulder. Trust me on this one kdub. Let this one go. Focus on other things besides pitching and addressing loads on that shoulder.

Ask you therapist to read this posting and see what he/she has to say. I’ll go as far as saying this - you’ll never be the same now that you’ve had this injury. In fact, the older you’ll get, the more your body will remind you.

I recommend you do as the Coach says and let the OS and PT dictate what you do. I had a complete rupture of the SS in 2007 (44YO). At the time, I was a competitive racquetball player with a pretty high state ranking in an upper level in my age bracket (I was gunned at 150+mph several times). My OS is a friend and he told me to expect about one year bf I was back to 100%. I worked the PT as hard as I was permitted, and steered clear of the court for about 3 months. I VERY slowly returned when I started again. I didn’t play competitive RB for about a year. I returned and continued for a couple of years bf my son’s priorities took the place of mine (I was playing routinely playing 15-20 games per week). I say that to say this, I do think it is possible to return to pitching given your age. I’m now 51, workout without any problems, have no arthritis in the shoulder, and can throw 75mph or so without pain.

That’s good velocity for a 16 year old and certainly a great base to continue to build from. What’s your off-season look like this fall and winter? I suspect if you continue to focus on strength and conditioning you’ll be able to push into the 80s mph. Your work ethic will play a big role. Keep up the good work.

When I mentioned the index of rotocuff injuries I was referring to the degree of an ailment or damage –possibly both.

If you have tendonitis and inflammation from overuse, then the question has to be asked – why? Repeating the actions that caused these two ailments gets you no further ahead than where you were when you suffered in the beginning. This is common with pitchers that I’ve worked with – but, in their mature years, not 16.
On the other hand, there is another side to tendonitis where the shoulder is actually kind of floating at the joint. I’m sure there’s a better word or explaination for what I’m trying to state here, but at the present I can’t think of it. In any event, this generates a kind of lack of control of the shoulder muscules causing some degree of pain. This can result in overuse, poor mechanics and/or a combination of both.

Actual rotorcuff tears come in calibrated degrees. (so I’m told) A partial tear is one, then a full tear is another.
If you have a partial tear that can be a nightmare to manage. Just “feeling good” one day is a coach’s worse thing to deal with because of the off again-on again attitude of the pitcher. “Yeah it’s good coach,” is something like a landmine just waiting to be stepped on by a pitcher. I personally think it’s the worse kind to work with.
A full tear requires serious surgery – staples and everything.

So, in the final analysis you’re getting a great confidence builder from Steven here. I’m sure he wishes you nothing but good will and positive thinking. Just pace yourself, follow your sugeron’s advice to the letter in concert with your theripist. If your don’t have a theripist, you’re going to be winging it – and that’s a bad thing.