Pitching thick-headed-ness (ignorance):

I appreciate your empathy. Though you would have to thank my orthopedic surgeon for my decision not to have surgery and continue to play. The major league team would have picked up the tab. They wanted me to play. My surgeon said: You separated your shoulder twice throwing so hard and now you tore the TJ ligament (back then called as it should be the ulnar ligament). Go back to school and we will remain friends. Keep playing and we will not be friends. We are still friends. Now I try to help players throw hard (swing hard) with less chance for injury due to my throwing methods, which put less strain on throwing elements (shoulder, elbow and wrist).

The most tragic story I can relay concerning athletic talent, serious injury and eventual alcoholism is about Greg Cook (his then QB coach Bill Walsh would go on to say that Cook could have been greater than Joe Montana): http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/27/former-bengals-quarterback-greg-cook-dies-at-65/

No doubt, people get rutted in their thinking with everything so pitching wouldn’t be any different. Just pray he has to join the Astros, Dodgers, or Indians and is forced to learn their data-driven approaches.

I actually still throw some gas, but at age 56 (this year) thanks to my new techniques in throwing based on physics. Back in the day, I threw 90+ as a minor league pitcher. Now as a semi-retired physics professor, I’m showing folks how to throw using my methods. Less pain. more power and control. Getting the pitching “gurus” to listen, well that’s difficult as smart ideas are wasted on the average-minded. Just ask the late comedian George Carlin. He’ll tell you… with the profanity. BTW: try not to step in some guru.