Pitching thick-headed-ness (ignorance):

**My name is Prof. Don R. Mueller. I’m a physics professor (involved with the Physics of Sports). I’m also a former pro baseball pitcher and coach. The other day, I was at a baseball school to demonstrate some new techniques (I developed) in throwing based on principles in physics.

During the day, I met some “clown” who coaches hitting there. He said he’s a scout for the Atlanta Braves. He told me the following: Professor, if you could teach my players to throw 1000 mph, I still wouldn’t be interested in your new techniques. His name is Mike Just. So, I simply replied: You sir, are “just” a fool.

As I assert in my topic title: There is plenty of pitching thickheadedness, ignorance and stupidity amongst baseball people who think they know everything. They don’t understand physics, so they don’t know everything.**

I’m gong to use myself as an example in response to your experience(s).

As far coaches goes in this sport - professionally speaking, we’re locked in time to the way and by the means in which we first started making a living. What worked for me, over a short period of time in the beginning, worked for me for the majority of my career. It’s what I felt comfortable with, things that I saw worked, methods of dealing with the “business” and the people in it.

Now I knew enough NOT to be something that I wasn’t - a coach that knew everything and tried to fit that “knowing” to every man that came across my radar. In fact, to be perfectly honest about it, I could’ve cared less how and why they pitched, as long as produced results. They produced - they had a job, they didn’t - gone. Gone, not because I said so, but gone because they no longer got along with the people paying the bills.

So, trainers and coaches like yourself are in a very special population in this business/sport. You stay on top of things that make sense, should be done, because… because… because. Any thing that comes close to telling someone like myself … " there’s a better way to do this…" usually falls on deaf years. I’ve been very guilty of that mind-set.

Why?

Because it means that something new came along that I have to learn all over again, and nothing much will change for me (and others like me) that’ll make a hill-of-beans in my favor, ever. Will I see a better contract next year, or maybe the year after - NO. Will the guys that I see everyday, who could give a hoot, actually take to heart what a man like you say, who’s make pennies compared to their contracts NO.

You say you’ve been a pro pitcher- then you know exactly what I’m talking about.

In the final analysis, if you can show someone in this business how your method(s) can put more $$$$ in their pocket right now. … you’ve got something there. If not … well, you know where I’m gong with that…

**Yes, deaf is the key word.**I do appreciate your candor. And no, I won’t try to teach you about quantum chromodynamics (or any such “gibberish to you”) so you are off the hook. Enjoy…

If there’s one thing that anyone learns, and learns quickly, just to survive in this business, is … to stay off a hook, is to keep the mouth shut. Silence is a mainstay all by itself.

Reticence may have its rewards, but you will never get a Nobel Prize doing so (or create a lasting impression in any field of endeavor). To each his/her own.

While you had your stint in pro ball - how many Nobel Prize winners did you meet in this business? Better yet, the only impression that’s worth anything in this business is longevity - staying on the payroll.

Now, if you have a better career path than that, I’d like to know how you did it. Because, I always had to consider more than just wins and losses, more often than not … WHO GOT THE BLAME.

The only Don Mueller I could find who played pro ball died in 2011. And was a right fielder.

Never heard of minor league baseball? That’s where I played.

You sound very much like an average-minded person. I have never suffered from such an affliction. You will just have to wait to see some of my new techniques in throwing, which are easy to master with a little practice. I’ll have some video out along with some stories by reporters interested in something new and useful to the game of baseball. Have some patience.
BTW: I do have a story of a Nobel Laureate (and friend of mine) who played football briefly at Stanford in the early '50s. He would have gone on to the NFL as he was a tall, hulking player for his time. However, he found that collisions in the physics lab were more exciting than collisions on the football field. He won his Nobel Prize in 1986 for his work in reaction dynamics.

Yes, and there is no record of you there.

Try the Empire State League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_State_League_(1987)). If you have nothing better to do, call the FBI and they will try to find you. No, I’m not related to Robert Mueller, but I can feel his pain. Now go away.

Yes, I am sort of an average minded person… probably less so than most. In that regard, there are a ton of coaches out there that are a heck of lot smarter than I am. However, I do not suffer through a mindset every time I encounter a so called intellectual with sarcasm.

Your experience with the sales pitch of your methods, falls flat because of the market that you selected. Thus, frustration yields a contemptuous attitude when you don’t get your way.

The professional baseball coaching world is made up of men just like myself - and at that, like I mentioned heretofore, most a lot smarter than myself. In that regard, we all share a common thread…we all have a comfort zone that meets our short term goals. Those short term goals are dealing with players who make a heck of lot more than we do, they’re set in their ways, (like me) and changing things usually doesn’t go well. The end result is usually the loss of any continuity with personalities, habits, and even superstitions. Thus - hearing… “You’re fired,” is not far behind.

I’m sure you feel very positive about your methods, your approach to the subjects that your promoting and so on. However, you failed to read and comprehend the first post that I made, explaining the environment that you found yourself in while making your sales pitch, initially.

I hold no grudge or negative opinions on your methods. It’s just the environment that your dealing with. An environment that, for all your time in the Minors, you should have picked up, but didn’t.

From all indications, it appears that you can dish it out, but cannot take it as the old saying goes. What you call sarcasm, I call intellectual curiosity. I know the game of baseball and the people. [As a pitching coach, I worked alongside Allard Baird, a then hitting coach who went on to be the GM of the KC Royals and is now a Senior VP with the Red Sox. We had our disagreements, but he realized that I understood the physics of baseball and thus lent an ear] I read your comments (all of them as I am a quick study). The difference is that I see potential for progress, whereas you are a keeper of the status quo, which like ancient Rome will fall in the end. It reminds me of an episode of the show Taxi in which George Givens (played by Bill Wiley) is a long-time employee who has stayed with the company because no one knows who he is. When he finally speaks his mind, he’s “gone” as you delight in saying. You can see a bit of yourself as follows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c95OlzMhE0 Now if you don’t mind, you will have to carry on this dialogue as your personal monologue. Enjoy.

The only Don Mueller to have played minor league baseball - as you claim you did - died in 2011.

Yes, you’re right. Every word that you posted is correct. I am (was) the keeper of the status because I had to as a matter of job security - plain and simple. In fact, plain and simple is a good description of myself.

I made every effort to describe the environment of this sport and those that are in it. If your methods and techniques are accepted, of worth, then they’ll stand on their own without your responses here.

In addition, your sarcasm does nothing to show any respect for your status or your intellectual credentials - hence … "Now if you don’t mind, you will have to carry on this dialogue as your personal monologue. Enjoy…"

You claim that playing baseball in a league that operated 2 seasons and went from July 2 to Aug 22 is a professional career in baseball? Making $350 for 2 months during one season makes you a “former pro” baseball player? Ok… if you say so.

I also played winter baseball. My manager was Dennis Martinez “El Presidente” who a year later would pitch a perfect game. Dennis was impressed by my fastball, which was 90+ (along with a 12:6 curveball) but as I told him: I separated my shoulder twice. I then tore my TJ ligament in a major league workout (when they were going to sign me). I called them a week later to tell them the bad news. Nowadays, I try to help players with my knowledge of the physics of baseball and new techniques I’ve developed. I will also challenge you to a throwing contest if you can take the heat.

I’m very sorry to hear about your misfortune. I’ve had a lot of guys who were borderline with such misfortune. In fact, know a lot of guys who got knocked down like that, and ended up living in the bottom of a bottle. I use to get some calls at home, during the night, asking for good word so they could get back into things.

It must have been very difficult to keep your sprits up during that time. My respect and admiration to you for attaining your doctorate degree. For a man to go through what you experienced in this business, and still see things clear enough to endure the rigors of a academic excellence, is extremely rare.

:rofl:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFe-8YBCE8k

Yes, but only if you can understand these important principles. If not, we will just roll you over.