Pitching then tightening up

So I have only had the chance to throw a couple pens so far into our season. Today I threw a bullpen, 20 pitches, switched with a pitcher and he threw 20, then came back to me and I threw 20, then he threw 20. The first 20 felt great, no issues, good command, throwing 82-84 mph, just couldn’t find my curve.

Then I waited.

I got on the mound to throw my second 20, and my arm was just a lot stiffer, I felt as if I was throwing 2-3 mph less, my arm felt physically tired, and by the end of the second set I was having issues locating.
If I throw straight through though my bullpen without a break my velocity and command remain there. How do I keep this from happening in a game between innings?

Did you get some warm up tosses in before going all out the second round?

Stretch a little and keep your arm warm in between “innings”

How much are you throwing aside from your pens?

[quote=“Wales Diesel”]Did you get some warm up tosses in before going all out the second round?

Stretch a little and keep your arm warm in between “innings”

How much are you throwing aside from your pens?[/quote]
Warm up tosses yes, I did get some.

The amount of throwing aside from my pens may be an issue, but I had a similar issue in high school when I threw every day. Right now we haven’t thrown much. Since I don’t play on the travel team but the JV still, we get left over resources, so throwing a lot has been an issue.

There it is…"Warm up tosses yes, I did get some. " You got some, you need to totally warm up, run, stretch, throw, throw longer, throw longer, run again then take the bump. Take care of your body, are you just in a hurry to start throwing or what?

Okay, maybe I did not make it clear. Today was a day where I was only supposed to hit, and since my time on a mound has been SUPER limited (second time on a mound and about 10 flatgrounds since the beginning of February) I thought I should throw a pen.

I did everything like normal, ran, stretched, threw for a good 10 minutes at 120’ and then bringing it in at 60 to work on throwing change-ups and fastballs. Then got on a mound and threw. I wasn’t rushed, I warmed up properly, threw my first 20, waited, then threw my second 20. Both times I got to get pitches before throwing at 100% and such. I’m taking care of myself, just not used to my arm tightening up like that.

It could just be that you haven’t thrown enough overall leading up to your sessions that your arm could be tired.

It’s hard to say, if it continues I’d get it looked at by a Doc or PT