Pitching Tech and MLB's take

Thoughts??

Wow. That looks really interesting…

Great link! I think it’s a fine line pitchers walk as they attempt to make adjustments. I’ve utilized some of the high speed cameras during my days in the Dbacks system. The ability to recognize flaws in a pitcher’s delivery is truly beneficial and can be career saving for some pitchers. Of course, there are many different ways to teach pitching mechanics and even more ways to be successful with those mechanics. You have to be careful not to try and force every pitcher to pitch the exact same way.

Also, studying mechanics so intently all the time can be detrimental to a pitcher’s ability to be loose, smooth and in the rhythm of pitching. So again, its a fine line. It is a tool that should def. be used, but not after every single outing.

On a side note, I loved what Mussina said and its a philosophy I believe in totally. That is… when in doubt always ALWAYS go with your strengths as a pitcher. A well executed pitch just doesn’t get hit very often. Scouting reports and studying a hitter is only beneficial within the frame work of your strengths and pitching approach.

I agree, we’ve seen it here, kids getting all caught up in minutia and losing focus. I’d suggest early on, the technology is best in the hands of a coach/responsible parent and the players job is to grow and have fun. Later…high school perhaps the technology can start being transferred over to the player. I know in college the level of study is pretty intense (Some, but not as much scouting as the bigs but certainly lots of video and slo-mo looks along with plenty of velocity feedback and conditioning assistance). I sure understand Moose though…old school…he’s a man. Guys like him and Canadas own Ryan Dempster…bare knuckle fellas…I wonder if the business will force that breed into extinction?? :shock: :x

Mike Mussina is absolutely right. A pitcher really has to go with his strengths and his instincts when facing a hitter, especially one he hasn’t seen before. That is not the time to engage in nitpicking and all sorts of minutiae and all that. That’s the time to go with what your gut tells you about how to get that batter out. I remember one relief appearance I made in early August of 1952, when I came into the game in the seventh inning and found the bases loaded, one out, and a pinch-hitter I had never seen before up there at the plate. What I did was call my catcher out to the mound and tell him to call for just one pitch—the slider, which I had recently acquired; I wanted to see how it was working. Well, I got the batter on three of them, the last one being a crossfire—that batter never took the bat off his shoulder; he just stood there and went “duh” as he looked at that called third strike.
In another post I mentioned how inadvisable it was to go out to the mound in the middle of an inning and start haranguing and harassing the pitcher , as so many pitching coaches have been accustomed to doing. The time to correct pitching “mistakes” is not during the game. 8)

I’d be curious to hear which MLB clubs embrace technology and which don’t so much.