Pitching Speed

How fast should a thirteen year old throw?? :baseballpitcher:

As fast as they can and still be accurate… :smiley:

Sorry, couldn’t resist. I have a 13 year old and a Stalker radar gun and have clocked many 12 - 14 year olds. My 13 year old is 5-5 and 160 pounds and throws his fastball generally between 65-67, ocassionally it dips to 64 and hits as high as 68. He has a nice curve and it is between 54-57. His change-up is developing pretty well and has good movement but not as much a speed difference right now, generally about 60. He plays a lot of baseball, including middle school, rec, and travel ball. If I considered all the kids I’ve clocked that are 13 I would say 65-67 is in the top 10-25% of 13 year olds. I’ve seen some that throw in the low 70’s but they are few. Most generally throw between 55 and the low to mid 60’s.

Even very good travel ball pitchers at 13 are rarely throwing faster than 70, but generally are in the upper 60’s. The fastest 13 year old I have personally clocked was about 74.

I heard a mother tell someone the other day her 14 year old (who is a very good pitcher and was the ace of the middle school team) threw between 73 and 77. I’ve clocked the kid on about 6 different occasions this season and he always threw between 69-72 for his fastball.

70 mph is very fast for a 13 year old.

Location is still more important than velocity. If a 13 year old can hit corners, keep the ball low in the zone, and have a decent offspeed pitch (especially from 60 feet), he will be very successful.

I disagree.

I think a thirteen year old should be throwing as fast as they can while trying to be accurate. Don’t sacrifice velocity to throw strikes. Practice throwing the ball hard and straight!

[quote=“Hammer”]I disagree.

I think a thirteen year old should be throwing as fast as they can while trying to be accurate. Don’t sacrifice velocity to throw strikes. Practice throwing the ball hard and straight![/quote]

What do you disagree with? My very first statement was as hard as possible while maintaining accuracy.