Pitching Specific Workouts

Hey i was wondering what specific muscles should i be working out at the gym and stuff. Ive been working out for about a 3 years like when i can. Turn 17 in May so my body still has time to grow. 6’0 175 lbs. I was just wondering what some of the ball players do or did to get that solid baseball body to help stay strong through a season and prevent injuries. If you guys can help me out that would be great thanks.

Check out Steven’s book, Tuff Cuff.

Tuff Cuff is publication that spans the multi levels of this sport and the pitcher’s posiiton. Regardless if you’re in high school, college or somewhere in the middle. It’s a true “must” for any player with hopes of going into the upper crust of the game, as an item of professional inventory of study material. It’s that’s good.

However, that being said, it’s not to be sitting in a book case collecting dust. You need a burning desire to be the best you can, with the discipline to adhere to a program … and stick to it. Couple that discipline with Tuff Cuff and your way ahead of the curve.

Coach B.

Is there anything i can do in the mean time. Im a little short on cash to buy this right now. :frowning: lol

I would recommend focusing on the legs, the core, and the decelerators and the rotator cuff.

For legs, you could simply do lunges.

For the core, search the internet for some medicine ball exercises and use any appropriately heavy object you have in your house.

For the decelerators, do some towel drill using a tube sock instead of a towel. Put a baseball in the sock. Hold the end of the sock with the ball in it and don’t let go. By keeping the weight of the ball in the hand that adds additional weight that the decelerator muscles must decelerate.

For the rotator cuff, do some tubing work like the ASMI Thrower’s Ten
http://www.asmi.org/asmiweb/throwers10.htm
. You can buy surgical tubing from a medical supply store. Get a carabiner clip from Home Depot (for about 99 cents) and tie one end of the tubing to the clip. Tie a loop in the other end of the tubing for a handle. Then you can easily attach the clip to any chain link fence. Or, you can do the light weight version of the exercises using any light object in your house (e.g. a can of soup).

This is some good stuff, but i think i was misunderstood. I have availability to a gym whenever i want so i can get some weightlifting done. I just dont have additional money for Tuff Cuff due to Prom coming up :roll: lol so im a little broke to buy additional stuff. But thanks for the stuff. Any good workouts at the gym that you know of for the muscles you reccomended? Thanks

This is some good stuff but i think i was misunderstood. I have availability to a gym so i am able to weight lift whenever i want. I just dont have addtional money to purchase Tuff Cuff due to the fact of prom coming up :roll: lol so it drained out my wallet. But thanks though. Do you know of any workouts for these muscles at the gym?

This is some good stuff but i think i was misunderstood. I have availability to a gym so i am able to weight lift whenever i want. I just dont have addtional money to purchase Tuff Cuff due to the fact of prom coming up :roll: lol so it drained out my wallet. But thanks though. Do you know of any workouts for these muscles at the gym?

sorry bout the duplicates. Damn computer

Depends on what you have at your gym but you should certainly be able to work the parts of the body I mentioned above. There’s no magic formula here. As the commercial says, “Just do it.” Anything you can do will help.

Our gyms pretty new and gots a lot of stuff. I do jobes every other day for the cuffs. I needa start doin more legs. Im not playin any high school ball right now so im just tryin get more leaner and increase my arm strength. How do i get my deccelerators stronger?

The Jobe exercises where you hold your elbow at your side and pull across in front of your body both inward and outward helps work the subscapularis mucsles behind the shoulder blade. Those are some of the decellerators.

You can also do bent over rows. And you can do the towel drill using a baseball in a sock as I described previously.

Don’t forget about your core.

Sounds good. I do alot of obliques and lower back at the gym and also do some cruches. That good enough?

I’d also hit the hip flexors and abductors/adductors.

Wat kind of workouts do you have for those?

Seriously you are making this complicated. Focus on the basic lifts. Squats, deads, bench, pull-ups, rows. Everything else is accessory exercises to those. After you focus on those do single leg work and core work and rotational work. Focus on serratus activation lower trap and rhomboid work. Focus on the external rotations. But also make sure you work you subscapularius its a vital accelerator muscle. It also is very unactive muscle which causes anterior scapular tilt. If you work it it helps to posteriorly tilt your scapula making more room for the tendons in your shoulders. Do some plyometric work. Focus on mobility work especially at the ankles hips and thoracic spine. One thing I would avoid is YOGA what a crock. If you want extreme lumber rotation and range of motion, be my guest, but you will be visiting the DOC later. Also STOP doing back extensions. I bet thats the exercise your doing at the gym. I also bet your going into exereme lumbar flexion. THAT IS BAD. Take my word for it just stop.

HECK BYE TUFF CUFF. I dont own it but from everone elses post it seems to have all of that. Make your life easy buy it. Its nice and set up for you, and you can follow it and make progress.

The price it costs is not a lot when you think that its a life-times worth of pitching workout information.

Sorry for making things seem complicated, just wondering. For the lower back, i dont do back extensions, i do trunk lifts. Where you stand on this thing with a forward slant and you hold a weight, go down and come back up and straighten out. Is this still bad and cause that lumber flexion you were mentioning?

Yes it caues lumbar flexion. That is the motion that your doing. Think about this when you do crunches you flex your abs right (FLEXION). When you use your back and do back extensions its the opposite motion of ab flexion. Which is back Flexion. STOP doing the exercise.

Alrite, can i just ask what kind of problems it causes? Your just telling me that is causes lumber flexion. It may sound stupid but why is this bad?

Well how would you like to have lumbar disc herniation or bulges. It doesnt sound like alot of fun. Its a really painful thing that sometimes requires sugery to fix. SO STOP DOING THEM.