Pitching Repetoire

Hey i was wondering if its good to build up a big pitch repetoire so you can create lots of guesses. Like in high school you focus mainly on the four seem fastball and velocity, location developemnt and stuff in high scool but wouldn’t it be good if you made like 6 or 7 pitches functional before end of high school when u go on to college so people would guess.
I am thinking of making my repotoire

1. 4 Seam Fastball(Servicable)
    2.Splitter(Servicable)
    3.Change Up(Servicable)
    4.Curveball(Under development)
    5.Cutter(Under development)
    6.Slider(under development)
    7.2-Seam Fastball Under development
    8.Sinkerball (Don’t get how to throw yet.
    Do you think thats a good idea to develop that repotoire because thats my goal to have thos pitches all down and fuctional by end of high school but i am focusing mainly on fastball velocity, location and stamina but using my extra time to develop those pitches it that good idea?

be able to hit spots with fastball and then be able to throw your change consistantly before worry about all those other pitches. collge coaches will look at fastball, quality change and having a quality breaking pitch. not the number of pitches you have.
steve

I don’t think its good for you to have more than 4 pitches MAX!

I just started throwing a 4th pitch in my Jr yr in college. Stick with fastball/change/slider or curve and you should be great.

Focus on hitting your spots and changing speeds!

I’m 15 (freshman) and at this point I’m good with this:

4 seam FB
2 seam FB
Curveball (1-7)
Change (variation of a circle change and palmball)

The only other thing I would add would be a cutter or a slider, but that’s when I’m 18 or 19.

Good luck

it’s probably best for you if you concentrate on your fastball and changing speeds, as a good changeup will fool most hitters most of the time.
you could work on a sinker or slider, but i wouldn’t personally recommend the slider until you’re a bit older. the big thing i’ve noticed from scouts is that they look at velocity as one of their top priorities, as the saying goes “you can’t teach speed”. if you spend a lot of time on breaking pitches that is just more time in which you won’t be working on your fastball, and it can slow your growth in a significant way.

get a good changeup, hit your spots, and if you’re going to throw any sort of breaking ball i would do it only a few times a game, no more than 8 or 10. that way, the batter knows you have it and it gives him something to worry about (oh no, he has a curve! when will he throw it next?). that kind of thing used as a psychological edge instead of as a primary weapon can be far more useful than being strictly a junkballer, which is where you could end up if you spend so much time on breaking balls that your fastball suffers.

i throw 3 kinds of fastballs, a sinker, slider and changeup, but i also throw a curve maybe 7 or 8 times a game. i always seem to catch the batter off guard, because i throw probably 80% sinkers and sliders, and when i throw the curve it’s usually on a 2 strike count. getting inside the batter’s head is far more important than how many pitches you throw.

but i read in a website just throwing a baseball won’t increase your velocity is that for adults when just throwing a baseball will that increase velocity fo kids?

Ok Start off I’m staying in the grey, not meaning to attack anyone

Newbie: Did that site happen to be pitching.com or another site written by Dick Mills.

While originally a fan of his, around 2001, I feel much differently today.

He has actually changed his theories from when he began. Main thing is he says he’s a “rebel” but a lot of his theories have been dispproven with solid studies.

I wish I had free pitching article he wrote, Unless something random got planted in my mind, I would’ve swarn he said LONGTOSS, longtoss longtoss.

Like I said I’m not picking sides

I actually read Mr. Mill’s blog and have put some of his theories to work. But like a lot of instruction “for sale” you have to decide what you think is the right way, and what you are comfortable with"

Back more to the throwing issue. Two prime examples of just throwing to get stronger:

Neighbor: began baseball late, and has been throwing a lot past year, arm strenght obviously better
Little brother: for the first year, will go out and throw/pitch on a consistent basis, he’s already seeing better control and velocity.

slider and a cutter do basically the same thing to a degree

and a two seamer can tail and sink

so that kinda cuts you down to six pitches

i personally have a big arsenal of pitches too but i usually stick with my better stuff…I throw 2 curveballs, 2 seam fastball, and once i go through the lineup once i’ll start throwing a circle change…one of my curves is a knuckle curve which i throw very slow, and the other one is just about 7 or 8 mph slower then my fastball

i throw only 3 pitches but i just put some variations into them, i hold my fastball different ways for different movement. my curveball i throw a few different ways. i mostly throw my 12 - 6 curve because i am a lefty and my pitching coaches all say that is more effective against righties.

for my 12 - 6 curve i do something that i read sandy koufax did he would think to himself as he was throwing his curve to get totally on top and snap it as if the ball would have so much backspin it would come back to you. it sounds stupid but thinking of snapping it just straight down like that really works for me, i have a very big breaking curve and koufax had one of the greatest curves ever so id say it worked for him too

i throw another 12 - 6 type curve that has horizontal movement its not just straight down like my regular 12 - 6 curve, i throw this to righties and lefties its hard to descrive it has a huge drop but moves into the righty also i usually try to spot this either on the outside corner for a righty just drop it in or i snap it in the dirty or sorta at him for a swinging strike. i throw it to leftys alot and buckles there knees all the time.

and then my favorite is my slurve, my pitching coach pretty much only wants me to throw it to lefties and i know why it moves so much and comes into righties, the key for me is to stay on top of the ball cant drop ur arm but i just change the angle my arm is still high just i throw more 3 quarters for my slurve. it works real well and is the reason lefties hit less than .100 against me this summer. it looks like its comin high and in or at them and then ends up low and away. ive had lefties just fall over numerous times because of it and get called out looking or ill throw it where it looks like its coming down the middle and they swing at it and find out its in the other batters box in the dirt. i wish i could still throw it more to righties ive been preached at a 1000 times they wont let you throw that pitch to righties at the upper levels so ive pretty much stopped and i have a very good 12 - 6 curve anyways but i dont know it was hard to describe the joy you can get of hitting someone with a pitch and they swung at. LOL one game freshman year i hit 4 people i struck out in one game. god i loved that pitch

i throw 2 different effective change ups and really should throw them more i fall in love with my curve to much and it works now but i dont throw hard enough to just throw fastball curve at the next level. i throw a circle change which pretty much is just a groundball pitch i get alot of weak grounders on that and i throw a pitch i sort of made up i used to throw a knuckle curve that was good but sort of stopped and messed around one day and held the ball like a knuckle curve and threw it like a fastball and it dropped real off the table like a change up not like a knuckle curve just a quick drop at the end, it was much slower than my fastball and now i usually just throw that as my changeup

i think its easier to stick with less pitches and just adjust them

so are you saying that long toss and throwing a fastball consistently can improve ur velocity a lot? cuz i did read it at dickmills website.

long toss and solid mechanics help.

I just see zero evidence that long toss improves arm speed or increases velocity . I imagine good for overall arm strength / endurance … its not fancy , but mechanics , mechanics , mechanics …

make sure your other pitches are perfected or way better than decent

Hi ho—hi ho—back into the archives we go…
I had to develop an extensive arsenal of pitches. I didn’t have a fast ball to speak of, and I knew i would never be a rip-roarin’ fireballer like Feller, Raschi, Gibson, Verlander or Sabathia (to name five such), so I went in the other direction. I became a snake-jazzer and a very good one. My best pitch, which I learned at age 16, was a slider which I nicknamed “Filthy McNasty” after a character in an old W.C. Fields movie because that was exactly what it was—it had a sharp late break that gave batters no end of Excedrin Headache number you-name-it, and my second best pitch was a very good knuckle-curve. I built my arsenal around those two pitches: I had a good curveball which came attached to my natural sidearm delivery, a palm ball, a circle change, a “slip pitch” which is, at bottom, a hard slider thrown with a knuckleball grip, a slow curve, and somewhere along the line I picked up an 81-mile-an-hour four-seamer which my pitching coach told me was, for a finesse pitcher, a fast ball. And because I was a natural sidearmer I used the crossfire extensively; I had fallen in love with that delivery, a fact which was not lost on my coach—one day when he was helping me with the circle change he said to me “I know you’re going to crossfire it. You use that move with everything you throw.” :slight_smile: And of course, I had the requisite control and command of all that stuff, and I could change speeds on many of those pitches.
That arsenal served me well for more than two decades. 8) :baseballpitcher: