Pitching recovery

My son’s team is trying to use Voodoo Flossing to help with arm recovery after pitching or a workout. I am wondering how many elite pitchers use this technique? How does cutting off oxygen flow for 30-40 s help the recovery? I understand the rush of blood would flush some stuff but what about increasing pressure in blood vessels? Info would be great.

From an Invictus blog:

“Voodoo Floss helps break up intramuscular junk to allow for greater mobility and blood supply to an area. By squeezing the muscle in a tight wrap, then forcing it through a full range of motion (ROM), friction between muscle fibers helps break up fuzz, scar tissue, lactic acid and other junk in those tiny places that foam rolling and lacrosse ball techniques can’t address. You will only leave the Voodoo floss on for about two minutes.”

One of the keys is putting the area through a full range of motion while wrapped…it is not comfortable.

I read the article. You have to like scientific words like “Fuzz”. Is the information mostly a edicts that it makes things feel better? How many pitchers actually do this?

No idea how many pitchers do it.
In terms of flushing and recovery it is going to be better than icing. Lots of pitchers still ice. I know it is used quite a bit in track and field and lifting.

I had never heard about “flossing”. Sounds like voodoo. :slight_smile: Anyway, some people say it helps them. It can’t possibly be worse than icing, which is the worst possible thing to do to your pitching arm. As long as there is no damage done, go for it if it helps.

Is voodoo flossing trying to solve for lactic acid build up?

The problem with that is there is very little if any lactic acid in your arm after a pitching performance to begin with. For lactic acid to build up, you have to perform at full effort for at least 20 seconds consecutively. Pitchers use one explosive burst for less than one second at a time, and then rest for at least 12 seconds.

There is no lactic acid build-up.

The soreness in a pitcher’s arm is more likely caused from a bunch of micro-tears in the muscles from the repeated explosive movements. Doing a series of longer sprints will get the blood flowing to these micro-tears just as well as a long distance run. I encourage interval training when running poles…which I believe research shows is the best type of training. Let’s not confuse the running of poles with slow, distance running. Running poles (utilizing sprints) can be a great way to develop the anaerobic explosiveness needed for pitching.

My understanding is it is mostly used as way to regain mobility and range of motion post workout. I have seen it mostly used in weight training and track and field circles.
I know Kyle at Driveline uses it quite a bit as part of an overall recovery protocol.
He has some You Tube videos showing some of what he does. Going through the range of motion is the real key part of it.
I agree 1000% with the idea of an interval approach to running post throwing. Icing and distance running are the least effective way of recovery in my mind.

Going through the range of motion is the real key part of it…correct