Pitching questions!

I am new at pitching altogether. Getting 4 seam down with minimal speed and no mechanics. Oh yes and I Play street ball LoL. no leagues, no team, just pitching.

I feel comfortable throwing the 12 slot. But it feels easier to snap my wrist for the curve 3/4 slot. Should i leave it as is or try to snap in the 12 slot so it won’t be predictable?

How can I learn to snap my wrist better overall?

How do I get the velocity out of my torso? I seem to be using all arm/shoulder with minimal push from the mound. I’ve been tiring out my elbow also.

If I use my upperbody correctly, will it be natural to kick to the side for balance? or is that something i have to learn?

How do I learn the Yellow Hammer Curve?

Thanks for reading and answering.

Ok,

For the curve, I suggest reading this brief article
http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/how_to_throw_curveball.htm
. A curveball is more than just snapping the wrist…in fact, you should not really be snapping your wrist at all. The curveball originates with the grip, and is finished with the release. You want to generate as much forward spin as possible, and this is done by turning your hand inward towards your body, almost like a karate chop…not snapping your wrist.

For arm slot, go with what is comfortable to you. The higher your arm is, the more downward action you should get with your curveball. If you drop your arm to the side, you will be throwing more of a slider type pitch.

For your torso, you really just need to concentrate on getting your hips to explode open at the right time in your delivery. It is hard to explain this, but maybe someone else can word it better than I. I recommend watching some pitching clips at this site

When you say kick to the side, I assume you mean your leg follow through like in the picture below? This should be a byproduct of using your entire body to throw. A big push with your back leg followed by a powerful turn with your core should force your back leg over. Again, watch the major leaguers do this in the pitching videos at the above site.

The yellow hammer curve is a nickname for a very good curveball, especially a 12-6 curve. A 12-6 curve is a curve ball which breaks straight down with little to no sideways movement. This type of movemnet is caused when a pitcher uses an over the top delivery with the fingers on the top of the ball, which will generate a straight forward spin with no side spin.

Hopefully this all makes sense, and if you have any other questions feel free to ask!

I knew about the yellow curve, i wanna be a control pitcher lol. i think the yellow hammer is beautiful.

thanks for everything Augie, this was REALLY helpful.

[quote=“tiki510”]I knew about the yellow curve, i wanna be a control pitcher lol. i think the yellow hammer is beautiful.

thanks for everything Augie, this was REALLY helpful.[/quote]

Great glad to hear it!!! :smiley: