Pitching QUESTION?

Alright guys I been trying to throw a curveball and it won’t curve, like the part where you snap your wrist I don’t get it how do you do it and how exactly do you throw it? And how do you throw a slider? and how can my 2 seam tail? cause every time I throw it it doesn’t tail like its suppose to. basically guys what are good pitches to learn cause I can only throw a 4 seam Fastball,Splitter,Knuckleball and a decent Changeup and I know its a lot of questions and a long story but please help me out guys. If also please post Pictures and Videos. Thanks

And you couldn’t look up videos yourself because???

Curveball-focus on giving it forward rotation, takes practice and patience.

Slider- could never throw one myself

2-seam- will naturally tail because of friction on the laces, to get bigger tail work on forearm strength and grip strength.

There’s also no need to throw that many pitches, I’ve gone my only playing career throwing only 2/4 seam, Curveball, and Change (maybe once in awhile add another pitch only to forget about it because I was effective with my original 3)

If you’re having trouble with the curve (now there’s a movie title for you!), you might do well with the slider—this has been the case with a lot of pitchers. Actually, the slider is a pitch that is not as fast as a fastball nor as sharp-breaking as a curve but which is easier to throw and control than either of the other two, and if you throw it correctly you can get a sharp late break on that pitch…The grip for the slider is offcenter, with the index and middle fingers very close together and the middle finger just touching one seam, fourth and fifth fingers curled up on one side of the ball and the thumb underneath, sort of cutting the ball in half. My pitching coach told me, when he was showing me how to throw the slider, “Throw it like a curve, but roll your wrist, don’t snap it.” just turn it over. I threw my curve with a sharp karate-chop wrist snap, so to throw the slider I just had to ease up on it. I got the hang of it in about ten minutes, but I realized that one does not master that pitch overnight, so I spent some months working on and refining it. The slider became my strikeout pitch and served me very well in that capacity for more than two decades.
You might also try a knuckle-curve (my second-best pitch). It’s simple enough: you use any one of several knuckleball grips and throw your curve; it comes in there looking for all the world like a fastball and then suddenly drops, much like a glass hitting the floor and shattering into little tiny bits and slivers! That too can be a devastating pitch. (I built my entire arsenal around those two pitches.)
And my pitching coach also told me that just about anything I threw could be turned into a nice changeup, and he demonstrated several for me and showed me how to throw them. You might experiment with a couple of them; you might be surprised! Remember one thing—whatever you throw, you have to throw everything with the same arm motion and the same arm speed as your fastball. You do NOT want to telegraph any of this; it’s a definite no-no! :baseballpitcher:

If you throw with an overhand arm slot you might want to lower your arm a little because throwing a curve overhand wont get you any break.

Good idea. Try a 3/4 arm slot and see how you do with it. 8)

Thanks Zita and how exactly do you mean roll your wrist and how do you karate-chop?

Erik, I remember that it took me a little while before I got the hang of rolling the wrist because I threw my curve with a sharp wrist-snap, but I finally got the idea—just turn it over. As for the karate-chop wrist snap, that’s exactly what it was: a sharp downward wrist snap, you pronate it as you release the ball. I found it a lot easier because I threw sidearm—yes, I was one of those exasperating, infuriating creatures called a sidearmer, threw everything that way and about 98% of the time I used the crossfire. And I had a whole arsenal of offspeed and breaking stuff, which was essential for me because I didn’t have a fastball to speak of. 8) :slight_smile:

[quote]If you throw with an overhand arm slot you might want to lower your arm a little because throwing a curve overhand wont get you any break.
[/quote]

No it will give you 12 to 6 break, if the ball has forward rotation it will break.

[quote=“Turn 22”][quote]If you throw with an overhand arm slot you might want to lower your arm a little because throwing a curve overhand wont get you any break.
[/quote]

No it will give you 12 to 6 break, if the ball has forward rotation it will break.[/quote] I meant lateral break

A release point out in front of you will give you the most break. If you’re doing something that pulls the release point back (like shifting your posture or doing something that causes you to open up early), then work on fixing that.

[quote]Turn 22 wrote:
Quote:
If you throw with an overhand arm slot you might want to lower your arm a little because throwing a curve overhand wont get you any break.

No it will give you 12 to 6 break, if the ball has forward rotation it will break.
I meant lateral break[/quote]

That would be a slider. or a telegraphed curve ball. you really dont want to change your arm slot just to throw the curve.

Erik956, when it comes to the curveball, try not to think about snapping or twisting the wrist. As BOSBlueJays31 mentioned, key is forward rotation to get that good downward break. Understanding the spin you want, and what actually makes the ball break will go a long way for developing movement on any pitch.

Some helpful tips for getting good CB rotation:

1. get a good grip (find a seam with your middle finger)
  2. hand/wrist position - palm in (or “karate chop” position, as some like to say)
  3. strong middle finger (good finger pressure, almost pulling in/down as you release).

There is some wrist action as you throw it, but I prefer to think of it more like hammering a nail than “snapping.”

Sometimes a visual is better than just reading a description. Here is a recent video I did to help out someone who had a similar question: