Pitching problems

I recently came back from surgery on my throwing wrist and hand and I am having a tough time throwing off speed pitches. Before my surgery I was able to throw a decent curveball but now I can’t, it seems like every pitch I throw is a cutter. (Not saying that its a bad thing because it gets the job done.) I still am throwing fairly hard (topping out around 77-79) but could anyone show me the proper way to grip and/or throw a curveball or slider? It would be much appreciated

Believe it not, this kind of surgery is not all that uncommon with fielders and pitchers alike. The surgery can be minor or major – either way, it’s a thing to deal with slowly and with regular visits to a team of
A therapists who specializes in this area of medicine, and a certified trainer who has experience with the limbs and hand rehab…
You’ll find a constant routine of stretching and light gripping, rotational movement in slow motion, then a combination of the heretofore even before you even look at a baseball.
Why?
After surgery, your benchmarks are all gone – zippo. You no longer have the same movement, much less the sensitivity of manipulation for controlling a baseball. So don’t.
Get a rhythm going with your progressive hand strength and define your limits right now. THAT will be your benchmarks, good or bad, for refinement. In other words, you’ll have a reference point(s) to witness what has to be done – in your opinion, to improve and move on.
This is probably not the answer that your look for, but in my opinion, it’s the only answer.

Coach B.

Thanks for the input! But I have been cleared for about 2-3 weeks and I am pitching in live games, and my velocity is slightly lower than it was before my surgery but I am still throwing in the high 70’s. The only problem I seem to be having is that either I am not using the right curveball/slider grip or I am not able to get enough wrist movement when trying to throw a breaking ball.

You’re going to need someone that has experience coaching
players coming off an injury in order to regain your former
level of play. That person has to be there with you.
Anyone who has had a part of their body injured, then has
tried to get back in stride with regaining their former self,
will tell you that there is no substitute for personal attention.
This media has so many limitations. In addition, being cleared
as you put it means a minimal level of activity to function in
day to day use of the hand. Recovering the sensitivity and
dexterity to the level that you once had requires a rehabilitation
program that will allow you the flex, grip, and manipulate of that
hand like you had before.
As I mentioned before, all of that takes getting comfortable with a
starting point that can be measured by someone actually there
with you – someone who knows what they’re doing.
I’ve gone through countless situations like the one you’ve mentioned
here and I speak from experience when I suggest – under no
circumstances try to self-diagnose this thing. The human hand
is very complicated and delicate. It is very unforgiving to even the
slightest miscalculation of use and potential abuse after an injury.
So, more than likely your problem is telling you that you should
address this with a professional. Unfortunately for many amateurs
that person is nowhere to be found, as such, or is just too expensive
to retain.
Since you’ve been cleared – to play baseball, my suggestion would be
to try a fielder’s position and give the hand a little more time to come
around. However, from what I’ve read here thus far, I don’t think pitching
will be in the near future, so don’t push it. Also, the advice here from many
will be sincere, no doubt, but your situation really requires someone there
with you who is qualified to address your specific situation.

Coach B.

Listen to Coach B.

Get a good quality PT or trainer that has a history of dealing with this situation.

Remember you’ve got to look long term as well i.e. the rest of your natural life not just however long or short your baseball career will be.