Pitching practice during preactice

What are some ways you work in pitching practice during a team practice?
Do you just have them pitch some BP to the kids or work by themselves?

I am very “anti” having kids throw bp…they are doing the exact opposite of what pitching is supposed to be, I think it breeds bad habits and uses their arms for no good purpose…I threw bp the majority of the time. That said, you didn’t say if you had assistants. I spent several seasons as the only coach and my approach was generally after the main portion of my session. I always gave that time as a time where kids who wanted to “show” me something, had the chance.

I have anywhere from 1-4 assistants, just depends who shows up.

What I have been doing is taking 2 pitchers and a catcher on the side, I put a helmet on the other pitcher and have them stand in the box but not swing. It gives the catcher practice and to the pitcher he gets to throw with a batter in the box.

You are indeed lucky to have the help (Though I’ve seen teams that have as many coaches as kids…thats a circus).
It sounds as if your approach is sound. How much intersquad scrimmage can you guys do? That gives you game simulation without forcing the pitcher to groove everything as he would during bp. If you only have 12, do 3 man teams and rotate pitchers as say you go through complete innings, or every other inning depending on how many pitchers you need to work.

[quote=“jdfromfla”]You are indeed lucky to have the help (Though I’ve seen teams that have as many coaches as kids…thats a circus).
It sounds as if your approach is sound. How much intersquad scrimmage can you guys do? That gives you game simulation without forcing the pitcher to groove everything as he would during bp. If you only have 12, do 3 man teams and rotate pitchers as say you go through complete innings, or every other inning depending on how many pitchers you need to work.[/quote]

I have 15 kids so I guess I could go with 3 teams of 5 or 5 teams of 3.
That sounds like a decent idea. We are just a small town rec. team of 9-10 year olds so who ever can get the ball to the plate will get a chance to pitch.

Let me know how it works…

[quote=“munster7”]What are some ways you work in pitching practice during a team practice?
Do you just have them pitch some BP to the kids or work by themselves?[/quote]

I would not have them pitch BP per se, but throwing an inning of a mock game is something I used to do often in the early part of the little league season. We only got about 4 practices (if none were rained out) before the season started, and then it was difficult to get any practices due to games and makeup games. So position specific drills were pretty much impossible during regular practice.

I built a cage in my back yard and had BP and pitching practice separately there. It was pretty nice actually. I built some small bleachers and the parents hung out, drank ice tea and lemonade, and we got a lot of work done.

But back to the question. There are two main reasons I wouldn’t have the kids throw BP: 1) They should be given guidance when throwing, and that direction between pitches takes away from the hitter’s time to hit 2) The risk of injury is fairly relevent, and throwing from behind a screen messes with the kid’s timing, release point, accuracy and confidence. And usually, the poor hitter doesn’t get to see many strikes!

If I can make a suggestion, it would be to have the pitchers come early or stay late and work with them before or after regular practice. If that’s not possible, work with them on the side during team BP.

If the pitchers come early, make sure they come early enough to get in a proper warm-up.

Most coaches want pitchers to “lay it in there so they can hit it.“To which any pitcher should be saying to himself” like Hell!”

This gets ptichers into bad habits. Let Coaches or dads pitch BP, Ian.