Pitching Posture

So in a previous topic I discussed that my son tried to throw from a low 3/4 arm slot after throwing/pitching from high 3/4 for most of his life of pitching. He tried the low 3/4 and it didn’t feel comfortable to him. I’m wondering if anyone has any insight on Posture in the delivery? I noticed when I was watching video of him pitch he has a big glove side tilt to his body with naturally causes him to be more higher with his slot. I’d like to try and get him more upright witch I think in turn will bring his arm slot down a little lower to either mid, or low 3/4 witch should give him what he wants witch is more movement on his pitches and added velocity. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on how to improve posture, and getting a pitcher to be more upright when pitching? Thanks.

I didn’t really notice any large tilt. Thought he looked pretty good overall.

What makes you think that will increase velocity?

Here is a better look at what I’m referring to as far as the tilt goes compared to Pedro who threw from a low 3/4 arm slot and but was more upright. So I’m thinking that instead of him thinking in his mind that he’s changing his arm slot just work on being more upright and maybe naturally his arm slot will lower some, so I need ways to get this corrected/ changed. Thoughts?

Honestly don’t see a problem with it, seems to keep head on target. My son had a big tilt (think Tim Lincesom). His head was completely sideways and major posture isues, had to make an adjustment. Don’t really see an issue with your son.

(1) Tell him to throw sidearm and see if that straightens him up.
(2) Show him the picture above - he may not realize he tilts or understand the degree to which he tilts.
(3) Stand on his glove side with your arm extended towards home plate and tell him to avoid contacting your arm with his head.

Take care of posture, let arm slot happen. - Tom House

Excellent idea—having him throw sidearm and seeing what happens. This just may be his natural delivery, and if so, he should work with it. He should also work on staying upright as he goes into the windup, or the stretch,whatever, and drop down as he delivers the pitch. This was what I used to do; I was a natural true sidearmer from the beginning and always worked that way, and the results were fantastic.

If you want him to decrease the tilt, have him bring his chest to his glove instead of pulling the glove down as he brings his shoulders around. See the difference in glove position on these two frames. If his glove comes up, his arm may level out.

In addition to what’s been said, I’d like to offer an observation.

In your picture, where you’re making a comparison - your son on the left and a mature professional on the right, keep in mind that your son has a lot of maturity yet to be developed, both physically and mentally. His physique and muscle structure will come a long way in a very short time … say in the next two or three years. He’ll more than likely put on some muscle and weight that’ll require readdressing everything that you’re trying to address now, in addition to surge in strength and aggressiveness.

I’m guessing that the picture posted is just to show what your narration is doing in words. So, that’s a good thing. Just be mindful that your boy still has a lot of growing to do. Otherwise, he looks good from what I can see here.

Those that have responded did a real nice job of trying to work with you. I would also suggest keeping in touch, and often, and let those people monitor your son’s progress. He shows a lot of potential. You boy is very lucky to have a dad that shows concern for his health as well as his development. Nice job dad, very nice.

Thanks allot, I appreciate it. My son loves pitching and I just want to help him as much as I can. He had some elbow pain last year and when we went to the orthopedic they did X rays, MRI, physical examination and they continue to say that they can’t find anything wrong. His coaches where he was going to school at pretty much pitched him in every game, or every other game so I think it may have been an over use thing, and not only that but they hardly ever worked with him on mechanics, or anything else for that matter witch is why he will be playing for a different school next year. He did to sessions of physical therapy and now I suggested that he just take some time off from playing baseball and concentrate on his strength and conditioning witch lead me to purchase tuff cuff from Steven Ellis, and we have been working hard for 5 weeks. In addition to the rest that I felt he could use I figured I’d start recording his outings and bullpens to try and break his delivery and mechanics down to see if I can see flaws witch lead me to two visible things. First was that his plant leg when it landed had a “jerking” movement to the left and it looked like it was causing his entire body to abandoned his pitching arm. I advised that to try and assist with that for him to try striding in the direction of the right handed hitters batting box so that when he landed he was more in line with home plate. The other thing I noticed witch may go hand in hand with the first thing was that he had a glove side tilt in his delivery witch is pointed out in the above photo. So we have begun to try and find ways to correct the tilt that he has in hopes of incorporating more of his body in his delivery in hopes to rid him of any pain and also possibly add some velocity. He is a good pitcher, has good command and a very good pick off move, maybe gets one a game. Again I let him choose how much he wants to do, Im just hear to support and help him accomplish what he’s wanting. He’s not one of the taller guys, he’s currently 5’7 about to turn 16 so he needs to use every advantage that he can get. I have taken `it as a part time job studying his mechanics, and those of other established pitchers just to try and get him as sound as possible. So again thank you for the kind words, and advise, it’s greatly appreciated.

Here is the other issue that I found in his delivery. His landing lead leg has a leftward jerk to it and his foot is also going the left direction witch is causing his arm to kinda be “left alone” this is one of the things that I’m trying to get him to change.

I believe that when the front foot and even the lower leg and knee end up pointing to the glove side, they are aligning themselves in the direction the pitcher’s center of mass is moving because that is the strongest position to support the pitcher’s weight. It would be good to see some video to determine the cause. It certainly could be a posture issue but it could start much earlier in the delivery than the moment captured in these pictures. In fact, it could trace all the way back to his initial set-up on the rubber.

A lot of times it’s the direction of the stride that sets up this foot to open and as a result the hips open early.
A very successful strategy is to focus on keeping the outside of the stride ankle facing the target for as long as you can force it to. Don’t think about placing your foot down at all. Focus only on ankle orientation toward the target. Your body will not let you fall and will make sure you plant the foot properly without you having to think about it. It’s when we override our body’s natural controls that we put that foot down too open, we open our hips too soon, and we create an unstable base for our delivery.

I wouldn’t change arm slot but to work on getting his rear shoulder to work up and over instead of just merely rotational. That may get him in a more upright position (thoracic extension) and getting more momentum towards home.