Pitching Philosophy

Was just reading through some things and came across this quote by Wally Kincaid. It really adheres to what college coaches are looking for in their pitches, and what it takes to be successful.

“If you want to be a good pitcher, learn to throw your fastball for a strike. If you want to be a great pitcher, learn to throw your fastball for a strike low in the strike zone. If you want to be an outstanding pitcher, learn to throw your fastball for a strike low in the strike zone to both sides of the plate.”

That’s the article where I found the quote, it may or may not have already been posted at some point but I’m not sure. And after fully reading the article, I strongly suggest every pitcher/pitching coach read it. A lot of really useful information in there.

One of the best philosophies of pitching I have ever run across was something Ed Lopat told me: “Get the ball over the plate and make him hit it. Make him go after YOUR pitch, what you want him to hit.” He was, if I remember correctly, a guy who pitched to contact most of the time. He did get his share of strikeouts, and when he saw that I was in the main a strikeout pitcher he told me that I had two approaches I could use. It all depended on the batter I was facing, and that was what strategic pitching was all about. :baseballpitcher: