Pitching Mound

I’m looking into buying a portable mound to use at my house. I’m in high school, so I need an appropriately sized mound. Do any of you guys have one? Any suggestions on a good one to purchase? Thanks alot for any help.

I dont have one, but pitched on one for the first half of school ball last season (bad weather, indoor practices). I will try to find some online that are good ones, but they arent cheap.

http://www.baseballexp.com/Field-Equipment/Mounds/Portolite-10-2-Piece-Indoor-Practice-Mound/baseball/lev/6/productId/869/Ne/1100001/N/36+1100090+33/cmsName/Team_Sales/categoryId/1100090/pCategoryId/14/parentCatId/92/Ns/CATEGORY_SEQ_92|0/index.pro

This is the kind I used in school. Extremely expensive, and this is about how much they are all going to cost. So I suggest just going to a field and using the mound for free :wink:

Yeah, they are quite expensive… I’ve been looking all over the internet for one, but DANG… $$$. I need to buy some stock or something. :shock:

haha, word to that. Luckily my coach actually cares about his pitchers, so he got us a pitching coach (for free) and I get to start with him on tuesday. Im not sure how good the guy will be, but my coach said he is all about getting great mvoement on pitches, especially the fastball.

The pitching coach is Joe Strong, used to be a pitcher for the Marlins.

Thats great… Our coach offers no help outside of the season… He won’t even allow us to use the field during the offseason. No batting cage use, no bullpen use, nothing.

What about making one? Is that an option?

Actually, I’ve considered that…
I just need a good set of dimensions for a high school regulation mound. I do alot of drafting and carpentry, as well as alot of dirt work… so it would actually be pretty simple. I just don’t know how big to make it. I guess I could always copy the dimensions of the mounds they sell, though…

[quote=“ChopTalk”]Actually, I’ve considered that…
I just need a good set of dimensions for a high school regulation mound. I do alot of drafting and carpentry, as well as alot of dirt work… so it would actually be pretty simple. I just don’t know how big to make it. I guess I could always copy the dimensions of the mounds they sell, though…[/quote]

Why dont you go to your school…get the dimensions and build it to fit that size?

I can’t get on the field… the whole facility is surrounded by a locked fence.

get it from a different HS?

Well, that’s a slight inconvenience. I can probably find dimensions on the Internet, though.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/diy_kits/article/0,2019,DIY_13787_3790790,00.html

If your interested.

I’m guessing you don’t have the required tools or knowledge?

Actually, that’s a great idea… I have all the required tools, with the exception of the astroturf. I actually might give this a try. I should be able to build this pretty easily. Thanks for finding this.

Any time.

I didn’t use astro-turf. Any outdoor carpet will work just fine.

Sounds great, thanks. This should be very helpful.