Pitching Misconceptions

Hello everyone i know this is a long article but bare with me and you’ll be informed about some of the most important information a pitcher can ever have. I hope to have this topic stickied and read by everyone. So please, Mr.Ellis and all of the other moderators please read this and tell me what you think.

One of the biggest pitching misconceptions is velocity.  Yes, I do understand that velocity is a great tool to have but speed does not get batters out, even Joel Zumaya has blown saves and he throws over 100 mph sometimes.  Most Major League Baseball starting pitchers average velocity from the 1st inning to the 5th inning is high 80's to low 90's.  This is the case with only [b]starting pitchers.[/b]  You always hear about minor league guys that will never get a chance to show off their stuff in the Major League because of their lack of an effective off-speed pitch.  A perfect example is Phillip Humber of the New York Mets.  So far he has gotten little opportunity to show what he can do because of his lack of an effective off-speed pitch.  Starting pitchers do not necessarily need speed but movement and effective off-speed pitches.
 Some perfect examples of this is soon-to-be hall of famer Tom Glavine of the New York Mets.  He recently joined the 300 win club because of his amazing [b]location and change-up[/b].  These, I feel, are the two most important aspects of pitching.  Some other examples of Major League Pitchers that do not exceed 90 mph are Jamie Moyer, Orlando Hernandez, Aaron Sele, Pedro Feliciano, Pedro Martinez (with the mets), and many many more.
 [b]Location[/b]- If you do not think I am qualified to write this article then think again.  No I am not a major league pitcher i am, in fact, only 15 years old.  But, I have pitched and won against some of the top organizations in the nation.  Some of my wins include beating the East Cobb Astros (#1 team in the nation by USA Sports Rankings), On Deck O's, Diamond Devils, NorCal Baseball, East Cobb Yankees, and many more local teams in the major division in the 16u USSSA division.  The only thing i did in those games was hit my outside corner.  In the East Cobb Astros game i did not hit over 70mph on the radar gun (although it was a bushnell and the person gunning was back and to the right a little and my coach told me it was probably off about 5-6 mph) but still got the win.  This is because I used 2 effective off-speed pitches a curveball and a change-up and great location on my fastball.  I am the perfect example of what location can give you, so are all of the pitchers i named above.

If you have read this far thank you and please take into consideration that with hard work and perserverence the velocity will come. If you have any arguments or compliments please respond to this topic thank you and have a great day!

You sound like you are defending yourself, you don’t have to do that here. 70mph is perfectly ok for 15 years old.

you have no idea how much movement those pitchers have on their fastballs though, pedro’s movement is sick, location is key, but a low outside 82 mph outside fastball will get crushed in the pros or in college unless they have movement, ok, go ahead and say well maddux gets people out, look at his movement, its sick…glavine can throw upper 80s and has decent movement, so saying velocity dosent matter isin’t entirely correct, personally, i think velocity is the most important thing for HIGH SCHOOL PTCHERS, because it gets them noticed more, once you get to college the coaches work to get you control and accuracy, im learning that, and its going great, most kids who throw 83 dont go to a d1 juco or university, its just how it is…thats just my opinion…sorry if it offends anyone, but its true after seeing college ball for 5 weeks

it shouldnt be like that but it usually is. i pitched college baseball around here throwing around the high 75 at best because of my change up that i could throw for strikes. im actusally working and so i dont go to school anymore but you can pitch college without overpowering stuffs. you have to get people out and do it right when your chance comes to you. a 85+ mph thrower will get more chances than a 75mph pitcher.

actually you have to look like a decent pitcher already while a powerpitcher can be just out there throwing balls and they will take him because the potential is there. real finesse pitchers have to be already prepared i think.

i used to be a power pitcher, i still am but im learning how to accually pitch, rather than throwing the ball, anyone can do that, throwing strikes isint what pitching is…hitting the spots is what pitching is…so maybe we should be more specific on what a good slow pitcher is

i came out in the tryouts and the coach told me alright throw your primarly pitch (a couple weeks later he told me he was saying that to everybody and wanted to know who would throw something else than a fastball.) i went there and threw my change-up. he said your change-up cant be your primarly pitch how can you set it up. i told him i was setting up my fastball. i go at people with off speed stuffs making them think they saw the fastball and on off speed stuffs i explose a fastball by them or make them go way behind and pop it/ground it out. you can stay back on off speed but an up speed pitch will ALWAYS get on you. that’s how i went 7-0 with a 2.30 era that year. i dont live in a baseball country though so i gave up on going in higher levels and decided to play baseball for fun in small leagues.

Speed’s goal is to eliminate the time the batter has to make a decision. The difference between 75 mph and 90 mph is a batter setting on your junk and reacting fastball -or- commiting too early to a good fastball, forcing him to be susceptible to junk.

At 15, 75 mph is ok, college coaches are gonna want pop, or they will just assume you aren’t a lucky one with a gift, even if you can place a statistically overwhelming amount of your pitches they will still let the faster pitcher get more chances… In the end 75 mph in college will be somebody with a lightweight aluminum bat setting on your junk and still totally capable of reacting to your fastball.

For the sake of getting more chances and being the coaches favorite, hope you are the guy that develops a fastball.

you have to understand something though, 75-80 mph isnt slow either. you dont lob the ball at 75 mph. in college ball even with a aluminum bat 80 mph isnt something you can sit on and watch come at you you have to react to it. plus when you’re not overpowering people tend to try and pull you making them commit early and so being more easily fooled by the off speed

Thats a new guy mistake, a disciplined batter will go up there the same way… and 75 mph fastball is like waiting on a changeup.

The other thing to keep in mind is that all of the MLB pitchers who are successful at 85 mph or so have plus plus command. Joel Zumaya has a fastball that reaches 102 and it’s obviously unrealistic to think that everyone can train to throw that hard. I think it’s also unrealistic to think that everyone can train to command the ball at the level that Maddux, Glaving, Moyer, and Pedro do. Their command is about as rare as a 100 mph fastball.