Pitching Mechanics

Here are my mechanics actually throwing the ball. I know I am kinda jerky at the top of my leg kick…that is because I recently changed my mechanics to lean in more like that at the top of my balance point. I will get it more smooth soon.

Very nice balance point, good stride (could continue to move this out), I like the way you are pulling your post foot off the rubber as you get to your foot strike. I think you are working on getting your back flat after the foot strike, right? Looks like you could work a bit on your glove side mechanics, I feel that we don’t throw the ball just with our ball side hand but also throw the ball with the glove side hand by pulling the ball through to the plate just like we push and throw the ball to the plate with our other hand.

I think you might be exagerating your finish but I could see you finishing in a more athletic position at the end of your finsh, looks good!

You need to be more explosive. I don’t see much whiplash.

Plus, you could still lead with hips more. On the top of your delivery think about keeping your back shoulder on top of the mound but moving forward at the same time. It’s gonna feel very weird, but try it. You could also think about driving your back hip through your front side of your hip.

pause around 6, you’ll see brain wilson’s body is forward but his shoulder is above the mound.

Over the past 15 years, I’ve yet to see two Pitchers with the same motion. However, for some unknown reason, every Pitcher wants to visually compare their motion to some other Pitcher.

This never quite made sense to me. Why would you want compare yourself to another athlete who has a different body type and a different level of body awareness? More importantly, to make your motion similar to another Pitcher’s motion, how could you possibly know what that Pitcher feels or what they think about as they perform their pitching motion?

On the flip side, don’t you wonder how Tim Lincecum looks so different from Josh Beckett or Roy Halladay yet all deliver the baseball to their target with uncanny easy? Their similarities arise in their “Foot Strike Sequence”. Every one of these Pitchers, as well as all world-class Pitchers, instantly sequence all the energy stored in their Lower Body into their Throwing Hand to create a consistently tiny release window which in turn minimizes their target area.

When you compare how Lincecum’s, Beckett’s and Halladay’s bodies respond at their Foot Plant, you find they all sequence their Hips, Trunk and Throwing Hand in the same way. The style each uses to move into their “Foot Strike Sequence” is totally unique to each Pitcher. In other words, even though these three world-class motions all look very different, they all land an ideal “Foot Strike Sequence” that consistently produces pinpoint command.

Here’s the dilemma … How do you measure whether you possess an efficient “Foot Strike Sequence”? More importantly, how do you find out what corrective actions will allow you to end with an ideal “Foot Strike Sequence”?

You find the answer in your kinetic Pitching Chain. A one-page, stop-action pitching motion film-strip readily measures the delicate interaction between your Arm and Leg movements, shows the exact instant your Arms/Legs misdirect your energy and also points to the Arm/Leg adjustments needed to generate a high-level “Foot Strike Sequence”.

With your Pitching Chain in hand, the answer is not how similar your motion is to Lincecum, Beckett or Halladay, but the way your Arms and Legs interact with your Torso to produce an efficient “Foot Strike Sequence”. Instead of attempting to copy someone else, you should be asking yourself what you need to adjust in your motion to develop the same pinpoint command as these world-class Pitchers.

L.A. “Skip” Fast
Pro Pitching Institute

Skip,

I’m still not sure I’m getting your theories - for example, looking at Lincecum, he lands closed off to his body and his foot strike ends up a bit open (angled toward the left-handed batter’s box). Does this equate to what you are saying - yes? no? He also seems to have opened up his hips prior to landing - and didn’t you state that this should occur at landing? Maybe I am just confused by your semantics.

Here a a couple of Lincecum photos to show hip rotation before landing and front foot position after landing:

structuredoc,

I talked about a sequence, not a picture(s).

[b]One point of reference[/b] ...I seems you measure "open Hips" using the Front Hip. I measure an "open Hip" in terms of Back Hip activity.
[img]http://www.propitchinginstitute.com/images/lincecum%20foot%20strike%20sequence.jpg[/img]

This sequence begins with a remarkably similar first frame to your picture and then moves past this frame to sequence out Lincecum’s motion …

Frame 2 - In my terms, I clearly see Lincecum opening his Hips (bringing his Back Hip toward his target).
    Frame 3 - the energy from his Lower Body moves up his Core.
    Frame 4 - his energy moves into his Throwing Hand.
As far as the second picture, a machine produces identical actions. The human body is not a machine. Send me Lincecum’s Arm/Leg movements moving into this picture and I’ll be better able to explain the variation between the second picture and his normal sequence.

L.A. “Skip” Fast
Pro Pitching Institute

Oh, okay - I realize now you have been referring to a “sequence” of everything that happens that leads to front foot strike. But I thought I read somewhere that you want the front foot to be pointing directly to the target at foot strike and landing on the mid-line. Lincecum (and other elite pitchers) don’t do this.

In reference to the pics above, it appears that the pic you posted as photo #1 is prior to the pic I posted. Notice how Tim’s throwing arm is dangling down further in your pic and his glove arm is much higher. His back foot is also less turned down. Here a couple of other pics prior to pic #2:

This pic is prior to Pic #1 (mine and yours):

This pic is between Pic #1 and Pic #2 in your sequence of pics:

I realize these are random photos of Tim’s delivery and not frame by frame of the same pitch but any insight would be much appreciated!

structuredoc,

In my mind, you’ve moved this thread away from helping “leftypitcher2322” achieve in a better delivery.

In the spirit of “leftypitcher2322” post, should I see “leftypitcher2322’s” motion look like …

The top Lincencum picture - I’d refocus him on the action earlier on in his kinetic pitching chain that generated this less-than-synchronized result. My next step would be to remind him that his most important pitch is his next pitch, I’d reinforce his corrective action and then ask him to execute another motion.
    (Before I comment on the bottom picture, “leftypitcher2322” should know his ability to consistently produce a quality pitch directly relates to my ability to teach a quality pitching motion. I take great pride in managing a pitching chain to produce an ideal “Foot Strike Sequence”. A poor performance is not his fault, but rather my inability to properly read his Pitching Chain. )
    The bottom Lincencum picture - Right after I see this motion, I’d ask “leftypitcher2322” not to throw another pitch, go out to give him high five (and one of my “that’a boys”) and thank him for executing his skills so well.
    +++ This position is exactly what I’d like to see in a motion. The rest of his Pitching Chain would find his Glove Hand driving his Back Hip forward and his vertical Trunk instantly transferring his Lower Body energy out his Throwing Hand.
L.A. “Skip” Fast
Pro Pitching Institute