Pitching Mechanics

hey guys whats up.

I have a question that would be awesome if you guys could answer it.

Question: Today in the afternoon at 1:30 i went out with my brother and we did some long toss. I warmed up and did everything, rubber tubing, arm circles, and even did a run and stretched. I start throwing and my arm felt pretty good. When i start to increase the distances my arm felt sore. I then went to the mound and threw about 3 pitches. They were at 78mph and my arm felt pretty sore. Anyways i rested for a bit and at about 5:00 i went into my back yard with my brother and we played catch for about 5 minutes or so not long at all. And i tried to throw pretty hard. I got gunned at 81mph,81mph,82mph. My arm felt pretty good.

I went to baseball practice at 7:00 did long toss and i then went on the mound and i averaged about 84-85mph and i topped out at 87mph. I threw about 30 pitches and my arm felt awesome. I could have thrown forever it was just awesome.

Why is this: Is it because i didn’t stretch that much because i took about 15 minutes to stretch and i did my rubber tubing, arm circles and everything. If someone can please help me with this. I am not upset. Damn 85mph at age 17(just turned 17 like a month ago) So ya i am pretty happy with that and topping out at 87mph. I would just like to know how i can be throwing my hardest the very first time i go out and pitch.

There’s no getting away from it—you have to be thoroughly warmed up. You can stretch and do all those other things, but you have to be thoroughly warmed up, and the only way you can do this is to take the time to do just that. I have seen most major league pitchers do just that—they will go into the bullpen (in my day they would do it on the mound, and how I wish they would return to that practice!), and they would take the time. They would start out by throwing easy, and then they would incrementally put more and more stuff on their pitches. They would throw all their pitches, and I mean all of them, in large part to see how they were working. I used to do this, and I would take some twenty minutes, especially if I were going to start the game, and I would have my catcher position his mitt so I could get a feel for the strike zone.
Then, when I would get out on the mound, I would take the customary eight warmup tosses and get set to face the first batter. Now, I could throw hard, but I didn’t have the velocity—I was a snake-jazz pitcher; however, I didn’t let that stop me. And because I was thoroughly warmed up I felt loose and flexible, and I never had to deal with a sore arm or a sore shoulder or a sore anything else. 8)

so i have to be more warmed up you think. Thanks for the advice. I will try it next time i come out because usually i can throw really really hard but sometimes i feel as if i can’t. Usually i take about 10-15minutes which i think is pretty good. But ya i will take a little longer.

also do you think i shoudl be warming up lightly for 20minutes or throw light for 10minutes then harder harder and harder or what.

Because sometimes i throw light for 20minutes then i just try and light it up and get a sore arm. So i should just warm up more at a more steady pace right.

Steady pace is good. You want to warm up in stages, so to speak, and gradually increase the tempo of the warmup, not try to do it abruptly. There are pitchers who need to take as much as a half-hour to get all warmed up and ready to pitch, and you just might be one of those. So don’t worry about it. And don’t forget, throw all your pitches, because you want to see how they’re working; if there’s one pitch that isn’t behaving itself, make a note of it and put it aside for the time being. You can work on it later.
Then get out there and show 'em how it’s done! 8)

zita carno thank you so much. This has always been a problem with me. When i practice with my team my arm never hurts because we always do that. But now i am seeing why when i practice by myself my arm hurts because i don’t take the proper time. Thanks again