Pitching Mechanics- The Power Position

It seems to me that many of us who try to understand the biomechanics of the pitching motion get hung up every little movement. With the infinite number of physical and mechanical variations among pitchers it would seem to me that all that matters is that they land (at foot plant) in a good and powerful throwing position. What many call the power position.

I would think this is much the same with hitters. There is wide variation in starting hand position, triggers, leg lift etc, but all good hitteres tend to be in a good hitting position once their front foot is down and their hands are loaded.

Pitchers who land with the correct stride length, with their toe on their pitch line or pointed slightly in, with their head centered, with their shoulders closed and level and hips just begining to turn, their arm in the high cocked position with the ball pointed to ss or 3rd. Isn’t that what matters most? Doesn’t everything good and bad happen from that point foward?

If a pitcher breaks his hands early or late, is long or short on the back side, over rotates his shoulders etc. Does it really matter if he lands in a good strong throwing position?

One last question that I would like your thoughts on:
When a pitcher lands with his front foot should the throwing arm, with a 90 degre bend in it, be horizontal or vertical? What, if any is the added risk of injury in either of these positions?

At the moment the Glove Side foot lands, the Pitching Arm Side forearm should be vertical. This is because at the moment the GS foot lands, the shoulders pretty much automatically start to turn. If the PAS forearm is not vertical at this moment, then the arm will be late as it comes through.

When a pitcher comes through with his delivery, most need to have a good, strong base to balance themselves when they are coming through with the delivery. And once they have finished their delivery, they need that balance to come into a good fielding position should the ball be hit back towards them. Sometimes, if a player lands with their stride foot open, this may cause them to veer off to which ever direction the pitching arm is going to deaccelerate after delivery. Thus, this will put them off-balance and in a bad position to field the ball.

One last thing. Coaches ask pitchers not to long arm the ball, meani ng do not use just your arm to throw the ball, but your entire body. A firm base stands for a better pitching stance. It starts from the base, up the legs, through the hips, into the core, and through the arms. So the entire body needs to be used in the pitching delivery, not just the arm. Otherwise, this will cause severe injury if done incorrectly over and over and over.

You may be correct but it takes certain things to get into that position and there are common problems (including common coaching mistakes) that prevent pitchers from getting into that position. Those of us who coach pitchers need to understand the details in order to diagnose problems and recommend fixes to help pitchers get to that power position.

What happens from that point forward is directly affected by what leads up to it. So good and bad can happen before that point.

On a different note, I would suggest you look into the current mechanics model of Tom House and the NPA because what you’ve attempted to do here is exactly what they’ve done - they’ve attempted to identify those components of the delivery that most of the top pitchers in the game have in common. I’d say that some of the things you’ve listed here align with their mechanics model.

It won’t matter if he has the physical strength, coordination and skills to overcome those flaws. MLB is full of pitchers who have such abilities because most pro pitchers do not have perfect mechanics (ignoring the definition of “perfect mechanics”). That’s part of what allowed them to get to the level they are at.