Pitching Mechanics Critique

I came here to get my pitching mechanics critiqued.

I want to learn how to generate more power, therefore I can get more velocity.

I’ve been working out (lifting), therefore I want to be able to use the muscles more efficiently.

Here is a video of the mechanics. Any help is appreciated!

You land your front foot on your heel - you drag your back foot before releasing the ball - you over pronate on your release. There are solutions to these minor problems.

Jackprograms,

Hope you see this, if not others will.

“I came here to get my pitching mechanics critiqued.”

I critique for injury prevention first so that your joints can withstand the forces necessary for ballistic action. This path allows you to then train with non injurious force application meaning resistance (overload) with the “sport specific “ motion you use along with the mound work (underload) training.

We train muscle fitness and motor skill at the same time for soft tissue injury prevention with the overload and speed with the underload.

“I want to learn how to generate more power”

Understand given equal fitness there is only 2 other ingredients to gaining Velo. Genetics (the amount higher percentages of fast twitch muscle fiber than slow twitch muscle percentage) that can not be altered or Mechanics that fall under Newtons principles.

“therefore I can get more velocity.”

Velocity is developed by working on being faster by tempo. For baseball this comes best by using the mound to practice (best) or flat ground hard toss (next best) or long toss (worst) with a baseball (5 0z.). .Don’t worry about the 20% less resistance principle (underload) with objects that do not exert enough resistance to make a difference at that weight.

“I’ve been working out (lifting), therefore I want to be able to use the muscles more efficiently.”

Muscles move in straight lines and always work efficiently, you need to get all the compounded movements to work efficiently, this would mean looking at your mechanical force production.

First lets talk about how you hold the ball for a fastball? The most efficient way is to have your index finger right against the middle finger so they act a one.

Your mechanical approach is traditional. ¾ arm path from a long stride. This makes you susceptible to all of the traditional injuries we are still seeing today. If you want more Velo this has to change.

Try striding short and comfortable by keeping your legs in their lanes down the mound while staying tall, left leg land to the left of the field driveline (imaginary ground line that runs from second base thru the mound to home plate) and the right leg should stay to the right of the field drive line. You are all ready landing on your heel correctly, the same way we walk trot and run heel to ball to toes!

Drive the ball with a tall posture and recover tall! This will allow your body to rotate faster and with more rotational length while driving the ball. Fully rotate 175 degrees, this will put you in the best possible defensive posture, drop stepped at stop.

You are traditionally late with the arrival of your Humerus and Forearm at the back when synced against glove side foot plant (Benchmark signal to go) so all your early rotation is wasted in getting them ready to launch. This has your forearm travel around in a circle creating a centripetal imperative where it the travels to the outside (Forearm flyout) causing intuitive destructive Forearm supination drives and releases as you see in the video. In fact you like most supinate to full range at release where you then see the involuntary reverse direction in pronation. Everybody miss diagnoses this as drive pronation, it is not and the damage happens earlier.

It is best that you arrive at the back with your thumb up Forearm supinated and at length when your glove foot plants. This way you can throw all Forearm pronated pitch types ballistically at full effort with glove side leg assisted rotation while the ball is making forwards progress.

You currently “over early counter rotate” off the field driveline. This is a gateway shoulder stretcher that causes laxity when you drive the ball. Laxity builds because you don’t feel it (ligaments have no pain receptors) to the point of instability, then the rest of those problems.

keep your shoulder line and pelvic line together and laterally directed right at your target.

Hope those help, any questions don’t hesitate.

I love reading the comments on stuff like this, because it shows all the different perspectives. Not saying DrStrangeThrow is wrong, it is just different than my understanding of the biomechanics of the delivery, but I have no issues with the heel strike and I actually prefer to see the back toes staying in contact with the ground at release.

The one thing that jumps out to me, and is probably your best chance of increased velocity is it appears you are opening your chest/shoulders slightly before foot strike. This will limit the “X Factor” or more commonly refered to “Hip Shoulder Speration” which in my experience is critical to additional velocity.

It may just be that I am not able to freeze the video at the exact moment, but perhaps try keeping your chest/shoulders closed longer into foot strike.

I’m not as skilled at assesing for injury risk as Dirtberry, so his advice may be better for longevity.

Could you tell me the solutions to these problems? And explain why those aren’t good for mechanics and velocity?

I can understand a part of this, though there’s a lot of specific words that I cannot seem to understand, though I try my best and there’s a lot to google about this.

I think one of my reasons to rotate too early and not stay closed, is because my mobility (maybe with the scapula) isn’t the best, so my body does whatever to do what it feels most comfortable. What I mean by scapula is by being able to put my arm position at front foot strike more back/behind using the scapula if you get what I mean.

I can kind of see what you’re trying to say, but it’s a little confusing. My bad, if I cannot understand, but I’m very new to mechanics.

Yes, I’ve heard a lot about that lol!

If you want to learn mechanics then learn physics. Here are 3 articles (and a 4th which might be useful to you) that explain the important points I outlined:

World’s Fastest Fastballer: New Britain, CT: Home of the World's Fastest Fastball

Power-Pronation (supinate and then pronate): When I Pronate - I Don't Pronate - I Power-Pronate

Pole-vault Pitching: Latest Victim of Pole-vault Pitching (Straight-Front Leg Landing)

Chapman versus deGrom: How can Aroldis Chapman throw harder than Jacob deGrom?