Pitching mechanics analysis (11 months out of labrum repair)

I am 11 months out of labrum surgery and currently throwing high 80’s. I have mostly been working on keeping my upper body closed as well as trying to get my elbow flexion inside of 90 degrees.

Any advice and corresponding drills to correct any flaws are appreciated.

Thank you

Good idea to work on staying closed as opening up early forces the arm to work harder and play catch-up. You don’t want that extra wear and tear.

One simple suggestion I’d offer is to move to the glove side of the rubber. When you throw to a target your shoulders want to square up to that target. But when you start in the middle of the rubber and stride to the throwing arm side (away from the centerline of the rubber) your shoulders have to rotate further to get squared up. What often happens in that case is that you lean to the glove side in order to help the shoulders square up. Unfortunately that can pull the shoulders open early. Since you actually do have some head and spine tilt at release, I think this is an appropriate adjustment for you to make. Starting on the glove side and of the rubber and striding towards the centerline will minimize how far the shoulders have to rotate to square up reducing the likelihood of opening up early.

arm94

“I am 11 months out of labrum surgery and currently throwing high 80’s.”

Are you aware of how the Labrum pathology produced itself from the mechanics you employed?
Do you have a pitching coach who understands what pathomechanics are and how to mitigate them?
Have you changed anything in your mechanics since it happened?
Do you care about why it happened?

“ I have mostly been working on keeping my upper body closed”

I can see that in the way you bring it all up, Hopefully this is not when you think you should start keeping it all closed off ? You drop in with your body, shoulders, arms, Pelvis and more “over early counter rotate” over 20 degrees past the field driveline (the imaginary ground line between the pitchers plate and home plate).

Dr. Mike Marshall defines this mechanic as the gateway reason for later in the driveline Labrum pathology

Your Humeral/forearm arrival to outwards rotation is very good, see how your hand is under the ball right when the ball of your glove foot plants and you also land heel to toe very nice.

You step almost 12 inches to the ball arm side of the field driveline and long. This mechanic has you use valuable muscle timeline to correct back to straight. Striding to the glove side of the driveline and stay tall by firming up you glove side leg will allow you to use the power of your glove side leg to pull rotation thru straight. This is all exacerbated by your foot position on the pitchers plate where it has your heel towards the plate. I have my clients push off the actual plate by having their heel on the plate and their front of foot 20 degrees towards the dish, in this way we eliminate the hassel of the previous pitchers hole.This allows for the large muscles in the legs to actually be used for forwards movement.

Your forearm flies outwards producing the dreaded forearm supinated pitch types intuition, even though you arrive correctly in forearm supination penduluming back to be ready. Your Humerus is traveling rotationally inside (correct) while your forearm is traveling outside (incorrect for good health). I see you are trying to create run but those forearm mechanics fight it.

learn all forearm pronated pitch types, it matches up with what you are already doing

“trying to get my elbow flexion inside of 90 degrees.”

loosing length should not be a goal, it’s hard enough to keep it lengthened to bent to lengthened (release/recovery) all ready!

“Any advice and corresponding drills to correct any flaws are appreciated.”

The best pitching drill in the game is the “No step body action drill” where you motor and strength train the glove side leg and arm to “force couple” your body into rotation while your driving the ball.
It’s done by backwards chaining from 3 different arm positions.

1. The “slingshot” position where you position you elbow straight up along side you head with you forearm back then start the throw from there by inwardly rotating you Humerus while simultaneously pulling back with your glove side leg and glove arm.
    When you master that

2. The “Loaded slingshot “ position where you attain the previous slingshot position and then reach back to length then start the throw.
    When you master that.

3. The “pendulum swing” back to length then throw.
    These drills are done with weighted balls( not Oz’s, pounds), wrist weights and balls. I have my clients then perform ballistically (maximal effort) from the mound.

All 3 position is the best way to warm up then throw maximally.

good luck