Pitching Machines

A few months back, I got a call about pitching machines… like the ones you load up and the machine automatically feeds and delivers. I’m not a big fan of these things … so there wasn’t much I could contribute to the fact-finding, except some brand names that have been around for years.

However, after suggesting some caution when using these devices, I repeatedly got back… “oh really”, “oh, I didn’t know that”… so on and so forth.

That conversation prompted me to post this about pitching machines.

Pitching machines are ELECTRICAL DEVICES that spin feeders and friction wheels or swing arms that deliver a PITCHING MACHINE BALL. There are also spring loaded devices, but their application is limited. Nevertheless… these spring loaded pitching machines require a ton of caution.

Here are some DON’TS with the electrical pitching machines.

Don’t hook up multiple extension cords across your playing field for
a power source.
Don’t operate these machines if your not an employee of the club or
institution.
Don’t trust the instruction manuals alone … get instruction before using.
Don’t trust the weight of the machine alone to keep it secure and in place.
Don’t allow the machine to rock, sway, tilt, or shake during operation.
Don’t feed balls while in the pitching mode.
Don’t use old game balls, regular BP baseballs, water soaked balls.
Don’t use any balls BUT THE BALLS DESIGNED FOR THE MACHINE.
If you use a baseball not designed for the machine, the machine can deliver a curve ball UP AND IN just when you least expect it.
Don’t put a catcher in play.
Don’t throw balls back to the area where the machine is set up while the
machine is in operation.
Don’t set the machine at a high speed just to surprise a batter. (joking around)
Don’t go on the cheap by not scheduling maintenance inspections at least once during the season.
Don’t store the machine where it will be crammed in with other stuff.
This is a sensitive machine with settings – don’t stack stuff on it or against it.
Don’t use the pitching machine balls for anything else.
Don’t let the season go by without inspecting the dimples on the pitching
machine balls. These dimples insure a true flight so there shouldn’t be and
irregular surface marks. For machine balls without dimples, insure the same even contour on the ball’s surface.

ONLY PURCHASE TOP OF THE LINE MACHINES – DON’T GO CHEAP.
IF YOU CAN’T AFFORD THE SAFE WAY … THEN STAY AWAY.

Coach B.

My coach needs to read this.

Hah, the last time my team went to BP (last week) near the end, some kids wanted to see a 100 mph fastball just for kicks, but we didn’t because we had to adjust the angle because the ball obv. won’t curve down at 100 mph. So my coach turned it up to around 90 on the last batter lol. He looks at the first pitch then looks at us, when we are all laughing and says “WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT”! and everyone just bursted out laughing lol…

we turned both knobs to the same speed for a knuckleball to come out and we got it to throw a 100mph knuckleball.

lol that’s extremely dangerous :stuck_out_tongue:

Why yes, yes it is.

throw the 100mph k ball from deep center and see what it does.

We set it on around 75-80 MPH Knuckles last year. Of course I was batting and one comes in on me. It’s hard to understand but the way I was taught for a ball about to hit you is to turn to a right, I’m a RHB. and bend forward sticking my butt out. I think they say that just so you look like your getting out of the way but can still take the pitch and get to first. Well I did that and I took it to the veiny part of my right wrist. Good thing, because all those veins and whatever else was there cushioned it from smashing my bone. I don’t think they were real knuckles but pretty close. It tailed right back in on me. My coach was like in shock becuase it hit me square on. Good thing there was no damage.

Bower:

We set it on around 75-80 MPH Knuckles last year. Of course I was batting and one comes in on me. It’s hard to understand but the way I was taught for a ball about to hit you is to turn to a right, I’m a RHB. and bend forward sticking my butt out. I think they say that just so you look like your getting out of the way but can still take the pitch and get to first. Well I did that and I took it to the veiny part of my right wrist. Good thing, because all those veins and whatever else was there cushioned it from smashing my bone. I don’t think they were real knuckles but pretty close. It tailed right back in on me. My coach was like in shock becuase it hit me square on. Good thing there was no damage.

Papibon:

You turn that way to protect your head & face. Better a ball in the butt or back than the head
:!:

Yesterday we were taking fly balls out of the pitching machine and we had the dials turned to the same number and you know what that means, KNUCKLEBALLS! So we all had a tough time, our coach was about to make us run like crazy but then he went out to demonstrate how to get under the ball (even though we all know how) and then he about got hit in the face. He then said “Well damn, no wonder you couldn’t catch 'em, that’s like T.J. (me) here throwing them at mach 5!”