Pitching Machine

Has anyone ever used this pitching machine? Im 20 and just want to use it for some BP and possibly fielding practice.

http://www.ipitchingmachines.com/pitching-machines/baseball-pitching-machines/heaterbasehitbaseballpitchingmachinewbonusballfeeder.cfm

Also I found a decently priced portable mound on ebay and I’m wondering if you guys think its a solid buy or not to waist my time. I wont be pitching with it on concrete but on an actual field or on grass. Would it work well?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Portable-Pitching-Mound-Two-Piece-Sets-up-Seconds-/320552291698?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa267cd72

Pitching machine:

I’ve never used that model; however, because the top speed it’s rated for is only 45 mph…I don’t think I’d bother. At that speed it may be simpler and cheaper just to throw live bp yourself, unless your arm is really hurtin’.

Mound:

The front lip of the mound looks to be ~ 2" higher than the ground and I’m guessing that the distance from the front edge of the rubber to the front lip is only about 6 feet. (The total length is given as 85", however, at least a foot of this length is behind the rubber.)

So, what’s the consequence? Any pitcher with a 6’ long stride is going land on that lip. The first one who does land on that lip is not going to like the way that feels and he will shorten his stride artificially to avoid it.

I saw this exact problem with a similar mound that was actually 7’ from the front edge of the rubber to the front lip–my group of pitchers happened to include one 6’8" guy whose first delivery had his stride foot landing halfway over the lip. He shortened his stride on every subsequent delivery which was probably not helpful for his mechanics.

If you’re sure you won’t be training any pitchers with a ~6’ stride, the mound you’re considering might be okay for practice use.

Still, if I were you I’d write to the seller and ask him what the exact distance from front edge of the rubber to the front lip of the mound is…I wouldn’t buy it unless he gives you a straightforward answer.

[quote=“laflippin”]Pitching machine:

I’ve never used that model; however, because the top speed it’s rated for is only 45 mph…I don’t think I’d bother. At that speed it may be simpler and cheaper just to throw live bp yourself, unless your arm is really hurtin’.

Mound:

The front lip of the mound looks to be ~ 2" higher than the ground and I’m guessing that the distance from the front edge of the rubber to the front lip is only about 6 feet. (The total length is given as 85", however, at least a foot of this length is behind the rubber.)

So, what’s the consequence? Any pitcher with a 6’ long stride is going land on that lip. The first one who does land on that lip is not going to like the way that feels and he will shorten his stride artificially to avoid it.

I saw this exact problem with a similar mound that was actually 7’ from the front edge of the rubber to the front lip–my group of pitchers happened to include one 6’8" guy whose first delivery had his stride foot landing halfway over the lip. He shortened his stride on every subsequent delivery which was probably not helpful for his mechanics.

If you’re sure you won’t be training any pitchers with a ~6’ stride, the mound you’re considering might be okay for practice use.

Still, if I were you I’d write to the seller and ask him what the exact distance from front edge of the rubber to the front lip of the mound is…I wouldn’t buy it unless he gives you a straightforward answer.[/quote]

I Probably should’ve added that this was for my own personal use. I’m 5’8" With about a 5’3" stride so this mound might work for me?

As far as the pitching machine goes the only person I have to throw to me is my dad who is getting old ya know? While he enjoys doing it there are a lot of time he refuses because he’s not feeling up to it. You’re probably right though… i may be underestimating how slow 45 mph fastball really is… i figured it would be about as fast as my dad throws during BP not to mention the fact that if i move it up it will “be coming faster”

I will keep looking for pitching machines though.

Your decisions should account not only for your current age and size, but also the very real possibility that you may have more growth to come if you are anywhere between 12 yo - 18 yo.

If the seller tells you straight up that the measured distance from the front edge of the rubber to the front lip of the mound really measures out at 6.0 feet, and if you are pretty sure that distance is not going to affect or limit your mechanics for the next several years…no problem. But think carefully about your circumstances–a 6’ stride is not uncommon at all among teenage pitchers. Many pitchers, of any body height, may develop a stride that is somewhat longer than 100% of their height.

Similar thinking with the pitching machine…I’d try to find something that you can use for several years at least. You may not be satisfied with training on 45 mph pitches for very long (even if the machine lives up to its top estimate).

I’m pretty sure i wont grow much more… i just turned 20 in may lol