Pitching Log - Is it Possible to Become Something Great?

Hello everyone, today I start my pitching log. I have been working out all summer and Fall to improve my velocity on the mound. I learned that my velocity hardly improved when I got gunned yesterday. I am going to use that depressing number as motivation to get me even stronger, and I’m going to try to use the facilities I have available to get me faster, stronger, and more consistent. I currently have a year-long membership to a Gym which I have been using five times a week. I also go to private pitching lessons once a week (for 4 weeks) and we suggested to upgrade to twice a week for four weeks which includes his own workout program.

Starting Stats:
Name: Peter
Year: Junior HS
Starting Height: 5’8"
Starting Weight: 143 lbs
Throws/Bats: Right
Other Positions: 1B
Fitness Stats/Personal Bests when I started:

7 pull-ups
11 chin-ups
64 sit-ups/1 min
7:14 mile
Squat: 245lbs
Bench: 135lbs
Pitch Arsenal: 4-seam, circle changeup, curveball
Velocity: low 70’s on hill. 69.9.-70.1 on flat ground.

Long-Term Goals: To play college baseball
Short(er) Term Goals:

1. Increase my fastball velocity to over 75mph
  2. Have command over my circle changeup
  3. Be a dominant pitcher as a Junior on my Varisty team
  4. Learn to not get rattled if my team makes many errors.
  5. Develop a habit of taking care of my arm and keeping it healthy.

How I Will Accomplish This:

1. Learn to use my body throughout my pitching motion to deliver the ball faster.
  2. Throw my circle changeup when warming up during practices. Throw it wherever I can.
  3. Continue working out.
  4. Attend the four week pitching program and practice hard while I’m there ($415)
  5. Throw a baseball any chance I can. Go out of my way to train everyday.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I’ll be posting my workouts and such here…but can anyone give me advice on the type of stuff to keep here? Thank you.

Video of my mechanics as of 12/28/2012.

Video of my mechanics as of 1/17/2013.

Just got back from the gym using TuffCuff. Here was my routine:

1. Run on treadmill for ten minutes.
  2. Two sets of pull ups until failure. Two sets of chin ups until failure.

Triceps

1. Prone Tricep Extension (barbell)
    Three sets of Ten - 40lbs barbell

2. Tricep drop to press (dumbell)
    Three sets of Ten - 40lbs dumbell

3. Tricep Overhead Extension (machine)
    Four Sets of Ten - First Set: 65lbs / Second Set: 70lbs / Third Set: 75lbs / Foruth Set: 75lbs

Legs

1. Squats (bar)
    Four Sets----
    First set: Ten Reps with Bar
    Second set: 10 reps with 45lbs on each side
    Third set: 5 reps with 65 lbs on each side
    Fourth Set: 3 reps with 70lbs on each side

2. Calf Presses/Tabs (leg press machine)
    Four 45lbs plates on each side. Three sets of 50 reps.

3. Leg Press (same machine as above)
    With four 45lbs (360lbs) plates on each side: 10 reps
    With five 45lbs (450lbs) plates on each side: 8 reps
    With six 45lbs (540lbs)plates on each side: 6 reps

4. Lunges (dumbells)
    3 sets of 10 w/ each leg.

First set: 35lbs dumbells
Second set: 40lbs dumbells
Third set: 40lbs dumbells

Abs
Russian Twists, 25lbs dumbell, 3 sets of ten

I didn’t do much of abs because I wanted to research the right exercises to do since I’m trying to restart everything. Any advice on my routine today?

I now have 3 videos of my mechanics as of 12/28/2012.

One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Fly_7efQs
Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mzRlSlKWmE
Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF8RKLDOkrc

Posted in your topic in the General forum,

Had a question for you though, what’s the PC’s program and how is it better/supposed to help you more then what you’re currently doing aside from paying him more money?

[quote=“Wales Diesel”]Posted in your topic in the General forum,

Had a question for you though, what’s the PC’s program and how is it better/supposed to help you more then what you’re currently doing aside from paying him more money?[/quote]

I’ve only started with him three weeks ago and none of the training I’ve done so far has been associated with him (eg, the workout program). I’ve been on my own using TuffCuff so it’d be very helpful to have him guide me through a better workout routine. I paid $300 for four one hour sessions (once a week). If I pay the $415 I will be going twice a week for 8 sessions. This includes what I’m already doing, along with a workout program and three hour sessions. The place is called Fastball University in Garfield, NJ. I’ve worked with him before when my team did a group session last year so I came to him again because the advice he gave last time was very beneficial. I do believe what he’s teaching is valid because I see results when I go. He also has a lot of experience, you can look him up.

I just want to go to him because he knows what workouts I should be doing. Baseball oriented workouts. And I can do all of them in his facility. We would go through the program, and then workout afterwards and that would make up one session.

That makes sense, good luck.

Thanks. I’d also appreciate if you could offer any advice on the videos I posted in the other thread.

Just some advice.

Scratch the distance running, it does no good. Replace it with speed and agility type work. Also your videos are hard to get a read on, the shadows affect the ability to real get a true look at what’s going on.

I’ll look them over this weekend and let ya know my thoughts.

I’m with Sean scrap the distance running and do agility and sprint work.

[quote=“SeanBaseball14”]Just some advice.

Scratch the distance running, it does no good. Replace it with speed and agility type work. Also your videos are hard to get a read on, the shadows affect the ability to real get a true look at what’s going on.[/quote]

I can’t do full-out sprints on the treadmill sadly. I don’t readily have access to a field where I can run like that.

Also what is wrong with the video? What exactly can’t you see? I can see it pretty fine.

Can you get into your HS gym after school?

Ask gym teacher’s or your Baseball Coaches.

There’s usually a way to hell even talk to the Basketball Coach about getting in on practices when they are doing sprint’s, same with the track Coaches if you have that as a sport at your school.

There’s ways you just gotta dig.

[quote=“Wales Diesel”]Can you get into your HS gym after school?

Ask gym teacher’s or your Baseball Coaches.

There’s usually a way to hell even talk to the Basketball Coach about getting in on practices when they are doing sprint’s, same with the track Coaches if you have that as a sport at your school.

There’s ways you just gotta dig.[/quote]

Hmm my High School does have a field I could use after school. I could definitely use that once my Winter break is over. What do you suggest I do for sprints? I could change right after school and run a bit, but I’d have no idea what to do besides just sprint. Do you have any suggestions?

Laugh,

Welcome and good luck on your journey. I’ll focus this post on strength and speed and then another post on mechanics. Looking at your video, my first impression is that you are not moving fast or powerfully. At 5’8" and 148lbs you need to make up in speed and acceleration what you lack in size and mass. Think of lincecum and collins. So lets look at where you stand. Can you test yourself and post the following:

40 yard dash time
vertical jump
1 rep max on bench press
1 rep max on back squat
1 rep max on deadlift

These are good indicators and could open up a discussion on possible enhancements to your current routine.

PS. When videotaping try to get
1- a direct shot from the side and not at an angle
2- a well lit view (no shadows)
3- a shot from the MOUND (no flat ground)

[quote=“DOC GOODING”]Laugh,

Welcome and good luck on your journey. I’ll focus this post on strength and speed and then another post on mechanics. Looking at your video, my first impression is that you are not moving fast or powerfully. At 5’8" and 148lbs you need to make up in speed and acceleration what you lack in size and mass. Think of lincecum and collins. So lets look at where you stand. Can you test yourself and post the following:

40 yard dash time
vertical jump
1 rep max on bench press
1 rep max on back squat
1 rep max on deadlift

These are good indicators and could open up a discussion on possible enhancements to your current routine.

PS. When videotaping try to get
1- a direct shot from the side and not at an angle
2- a well lit view (no shadows)
3- a shot from the MOUND (no flat ground)[/quote]

I will try my best to get all of that information for you. Tomorrow I will be at the Gym so I will get you most of that information.

Laugh,

Regarding mechanics:

1- Leg lift looks good initially. You lift and get your hips moving forward and close off the leg. However, you tilt your torso back. Most of your weight is now behind your drive leg instead of shifting forward.

2- Your front foot opens early, which causes your hips to open early.

3- You get very little drive or push off your back leg. Instead your front leg takes over, and pulls your back leg through your stride.

4- Because of items 1,2,and 3 you get no separation at front foot landing. Your hips and shoulders both face the camera and are not separated. They are moving together. At front foot, you want your hips open toward the catcher and your shoulders closed to the camera.

5- Your external rotation is not ideal (180 degrees). I would say you are at about 140 degrees, instead of laying back at 180. And you are very upright at ball release, instead of tilted forward.

6- You have a lot of flex in your front leg at ball release. It should brace up, stiffen, and pull in. You are rolling over your front leg and this is a big velocity killer.

A lot of these mechanical issues are strength and speed related as well. so as you get stronger and move faster, you can fix many of these issues along the way. Also, if you are already throwing 70 mph, you would have a very good upside to put at least 10-15 mph on your FB.

[quote=“DOC GOODING”]Laugh,

Regarding mechanics:

1- Leg lift looks good initially. You lift and get your hips moving forward and close off the leg. However, you tilt your torso back. Most of your weight is now behind your drive leg instead of shifting forward.

2- Your front foot opens early, which causes your hips to open early.

3- You get very little drive or push off your back leg. Instead your front leg takes over, and pulls your back leg through your stride.

4- Because of items 1,2,and 3 you get no separation at front foot landing. Your hips and shoulders both face the camera and are not separated. They are moving together. At front foot, you want your hips open toward the catcher and your shoulders closed to the camera.

5- Your external rotation is not ideal (180 degrees). I would say you are at about 140 degrees, instead of laying back at 180. And you are very upright at ball release, instead of tilted forward.

6- You have a lot of flex in your front leg at ball release. It should brace up, stiffen, and pull in. You are rolling over your front leg and this is a big velocity killer.

A lot of these mechanical issues are strength and speed related as well. so as you get stronger and move faster, you can fix many of these issues along the way. Also, if you are already throwing 70 mph, you would have a very good upside to put at least 10-15 mph on your FB.[/quote]

Ok I will try and understand each point.

1. So you want me to stand vertical rather than move my torso back? I was trying to get my hips out by doing this, but if this is wrong I will stand straight.

2. So do you want me to “invert” my foot to face towards my body? I think I see what you are talking about.

3. I had nothing to push of off since I’m on flat ground. I can correct this.

4. Look at frame 3 here: http://i.imgur.com/R78UW.jpg
    Is that what you mean?

5. Yeah I have always had trouble with getting my arm back 180 degrees. When I stretch out my arm I can get it back there, but when I pitch it never goes back. How can I correct this?

6. What do you mean by “rolling over your front leg?” How do I correct this?

Also, what do you mean by this line:
“Also, if you are already throwing 70 mph, you would have a very good upside to put at least 10-15 mph on your FB.”

Thank you for the help!

[quote=“Laugh”]Ok I will try and understand each point.

1. So you want me to stand vertical rather than move my torso back? I was trying to get my hips out by doing this, but if this is wrong I will stand straight.

Your leg lift is good and you get your hips out well. Just avoid tilting back your torso as much initially. You’re movement is going back not forward. As you head down the mound you are going to tilt back, as you load weight onto your back leg… I am referring more to your initial movement.

1. So do you want me to “invert” my foot to face towards my body? I think I see what you are talking about.

In order to keep the front hip closed, you have to keep the foot, ankle, and knee closed as well. When you open the foot early, the ankle knee and hip will also open early. Some pitchers will stiffen or straighten the front leg to keep everything closed. Some lead more with the heel toward the catcher.

1. I had nothing to push of off since I’m on flat ground. I can correct this.

This is why you want to videotape from the mound. Your mechanics may change significantly.

1. Look at frame 3 here: http://i.imgur.com/R78UW.jpg
    Is that what you mean?

No. That is when he is already throwing and his arm is externally rotating. This picture relates to point #5 (externally rotating at 180 degrees). The link in next post would be an example of “separation” point #4.

1. Yeah I have always had trouble with getting my arm back 180 degrees. When I stretch out my arm I can get it back there, but when I pitch it never goes back. How can I correct this?

You need to perform drills to develop this.

1. What do you mean by “rolling over your front leg?” How do I correct this?

On your clip, when your front leg lands, your knee flexes and the force, energy, or velocity you are trying to produce with your stride “leaks”. Your front leg needs to be strong to withstand the weight and force that you are generating with your stride.

Also, what do you mean by this line: “Also, if you are already throwing 70 mph, you would have a very good upside to put at least 10-15 mph on your FB.”

Don’t be offended by this comment. The bad news is that you have several issues with your mechanics that need correcting. the good news is that if you can correct these issues, they should translate to additional velocity gains. In other words, you have gas in the tank you are not using. Also, if your strength numbers are low, you can acheive additional gains in velocity by getting faster and stronger. Google tim collins for additional info.

Thank you for the help!

No problem. You can go to some of the threads for external rotation drills and hip shoulder separation drills.[/quote]

links for separation and front leg extension:

http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/power_pitching.htm

[/url]

Just to be clear, I would never take offense from someone who makes a post as detailed as yours. It really is helping.

“On your clip, when your front leg lands, your knee flexes and the force, energy, or velocity you are trying to produce with your stride “leaks”. Your front leg needs to be strong to withstand the weight and force that you are generating with your stride.”

I do remember my pitching coach telling me this. He said you need to land strong on your front foot. Now I understand why. I will incorporate this as well.

Here is a clip of chapman. Look at the clip and note how he lands and then actually pulls in (hyperextends) his knee. It does not buckle or flex.