Pitching Log- Follow Me Follow My Dream

My name is Caden Lowe. I’m a RHP and I am a Freshman, playing high school baseball in Columbus, Ohio. I also play for a high level travel baseball team in the same area. Before I start with my basic intro, I want to give a shoutout to user “Baseball1”, or Ellis Walker, since I will be using his well organized outline for the basic intro.

Basic Intro:
Height- 5’11
Weight- 145
Year- Freshman/2020
Positions- Pitcher, Shortstop, Third Base
Pitches (In order of best to worst) - 4 Seam Fastball, Curveball, Cutter
Top Out Speed- 82 MPH
Average, or Cruising Speed- 77-80 MPH

Short Term Goals:
Get better control of my cutter, as well as add a few more inches to the break, and potentially add one more pitch that has vertical movement (Like a sinker or 12-6) rather than horizontal (Like a Curve or Slider).

Long Term Goals:
Sophomore Year- 85+ Fastball
Junior Year- 88+ Fastball
Senior Year- 90+ Fastball as well as 2 above average pitches and 2 dominant pitches.
ERA Goal Per Year: 1.20 or Lower
Get my name out there and go to D1 camps and speak to D1 coaches, as well as earn any D1 scholarships.
Start varsity full time by sophomore year.
Stay healthy and nutritious, avoid injuries and overthrowing.
Accumulative GPA of 3.4 or higher.

Maybe tells us a bit more lol

April 29, 2017.

As I started this log 3/4 of the way through the school ball season, I have some filling in to do. This post is going to be a complete walk through of my entire season thus far. I don’t have any startling unless I remember any standout stats of a specific game, which will be said if applicable, so I’ll mainly be going off memory.

March 25: First pitching game of the year, relief on JV:
I was entered into a 0-0 tied ball game in the 6th inning. I held he opposing team to 0 runs for five innings, since we couldn’t score and we ended up going to the 10th inning and winning on a walk off base hit. 5.0 IP, N/A SO, N/A BB, 0 ER. I got the win, starting off the season with a 1-0 record.

March 28: Second relief of season, JV:
I entered the game in the bottom of the 7th, winning by 2 runs. I ended up getting myself into a jam in the start of the inning, walk, base hit, walk, ground out. I had 1 out with bases loaded in the bottom of the 7th. The walks were a result of the usual start of the season jitters. I ended up staying humble and finishing he game with 2 straight strikeouts. 8-6 Win, I got the no decision so I stayed at 1-0. 1.0 IP, 2 SO, 2 BB, 0 ER, 1 H

April 3: First start of the year, JV:
I will remember this game vividly for the rest of my life. In my first start on JV baseball, I threw a no hitter in 7 innings. I remember that I struck out 12 batters, and had a disgusting 6 walks. As happy as I am with myself for pitching a no-no, I must stay humble and remind myself that the opposing team was utterly garbage and couldn’t hit a curveball. 9-0 win, improving my record to 2-0.
7.0 IP, 12 SO, 6 BB, 0 ER, 0 H

April 8: Second start of the season JV:
Don’t remember much about this game except that I had 6 innings pitched (Pulled for pitch count in 7th), gave up 0 runs and got the win. 2-1 win, improving my record to 3-0. 6.0 IP, N/A SO, N/A BB, 0 ER, N/A H

April 12: Third start of the season, JV:
As crazy as this sounds. I’m not lying, I threw another no hitter. The thing that made this one special to me is that it was against our cross-town rival, who beat us 12-7 a week before against our 2nd pitcher in the rotation. The game was at their place and i went deep, I ended up throwing 120 in 7 innings. The team had some actual talent and was good, which differed this no hitter from the first. My defends played good baseball behind me and our offense was even better. Good all around ball game, 9-0 win, improving my record to 4-0. 7.0 IP, 9 SO, 2 BB, 0 ER, 0 H

April 17: Thrid relief of the season, last time pitching JV:
I came into the game around the 5th or 6th inning if I remember correctly. This was my first real shaky pitching of the season, as I gave up my first ER, which ended up being 2. I came into the game in the 5th, when we were already down by a ton. I got myself into a jam but got out of it without giving up a run. 6th inning, I gave up a lead off triple, and ended up giving up 2 ER. I was disappointed in myself. I wasn’t hitting my spots and my curve wasn’t breaking. Big time loss, but I got the no decision and stayed at 4-0. 2.0 IP, N/A SO, N/A BB, 2 ER, 4 H

April 19: First Varsity start of my life.
I couldn’t believe it, my first varsity start. At the beginning of this year I never was even imaging this moment. But I’m glad it’s here. I was pitching against the team I just relieved against in the game above, but instead it was now their varsity squad. I remember getting myself into jams almost every inning up until the 4th, but they kept not scoring. I got through to the 7th inning without a single run given up, and things were looking good. I ended up giving a lead off double up to the ninth batter, which hurt. He ended up scoring, so I got out of the game with 1 ER in my first varsity start, along with he win. We won 9-1, improving my record to 5-0. 7.0 IP, 3 SO, 3 BB, 1 ER, 4 H.

April 26: Second varsity start:
This was my first shaky start of the season, which was bound to happen. I thank god that it happened against a team that was 2-15. The thing that amazed me about this game is that I felt like I had my good stuff. I was hitting my spots, my curve was on, my cutter was breaking nicely, and I had good speed. The other team just hit the ball, and I give them props, they did their job. I pitched 5 innings and gave up 3 runs, but we got the win. 5-3 Win, I got the no decision. Keeping my record at 5-0. 5.0 IP, 5 SO, 1 BB, 3 ER, N/A H.

This leaves us at the current. I have a 5-0 record with what I believe to be a 1.35 ERA. I’ve thrown 2 no hitters and am now pitching varsity full time. My next start is Monday, May 1st. I am starting against a conference opponent that is 14-6, and 9-2 in our conference. My next post will be then, with an update on how it goes. Feel free to leave any feedback or tips, it’s all appreciated. Thanks, Caden.

Good luck!

April 30, 2017.

It’s a day before my next start. Today I’ll be getting a good warm up and stretch in, and then I’m going to play catch for a little while. I’m not going longer than 60 feet or more than 35 throws. I’ll then work on some PFP’s. After most of the baseball related work is done I’m going to do some very light shoulder dumbbell exercises for strengthening. Probably some plying and band exercises, all whilst making sure to stay light enough so that I’m completely fresh tomorrow. Any tips for workouts or literally anything at all for the day before a start? All is appreciated, thanks guys.

(Stay updated for a late post tomorrow on how the start goes)

May 1, 2017.

Slight change in plans. Due to our double header getting rained out this past Saturday, our rotation got bumped back two games, meaning so did my scheduled start for today. As of now I’ll be starting against our cross-town rivals on Thursday, May 4. They are 13-2 overall. Should be a tough one, but I’m ready to compete.

Keep up the great work!