Pitching Input

New to this website and would like some input on my son.
6’ - 3" 183 lbs RHP
4.48 40yrd
Junior turning 17 tomorrow.

I posted a few slow motion videos of him on YouTube.

Front and side Views.

Haven’t analyzed it enough to post a full response right now, dont have time, but what I immediately noticed is that his back leg is bent quite a lot. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but in never actually straightens out. If he starts it bent, he should be straightening it out as he moves towards the plate or else he’s losing a lot of power from his legs.

I think doing that will also help him get more momentum moving forward faster, which was the only other problem I saw.

He clearly is a good athlete and can run well. What it looks to me like he needs to do is get his lower half engaged earlier and be more explosive, and perhaps get a quicker tempo. See frame 1 below. He’s getting very little out of his lower half and back side (reaching out with his front leg rather than projecting his hips down the mound), and that’s causing issues with the rest of his motion—to me, he looks like he’s throwing with all arm and contribution from anything else (his back foot is stuck on the rubber as his front foot is landing in frame 2).

I never get tired of talking about “The Secret”, and it seems to me that this kid needs to learn it. I learned it many moons ago by watching how the Yankees’ Big Three pitching rotation did it: they were all driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, creating a nonstop flow of energy all the way through the body to the shoulders and arm and thus generating more power behind their pitches. They knew—and a lot of batters don’t realize this—that the lower half is the real key to the pitcher’s power; those batters are too zeroed in on the upper half, the shoulder and arm, in their quest for the perfect fastball. This kid could start with the “Hershiser” drill which aims at getting the hips fully involved; the hips are the connection between the lower and upper halves of the body. The whole body needs to get moving, and the sooner the kid learns this the more explosive and effective his pitching will be. :baseballpitcher:

Thank you to everyone that viewed and replied to the post. Our pitching coach has mentioned the Hershiser drill and that is something we need to work on. Last fall he was up to 87 mph and sits at 85 mph. Realistically lower body would result in 2 - 3 mph faster?

It certainly would. I would suggest getting together with a good professional pitching coach—maybe even one with major league experience?—and get going on learning and mastering “The Secret”. I remember how I saw how the Yankees’ Big Three were doing it, and I made a note of it and started working on it—with pretty fantastic results. Go to it! :baseballpitcher:

I definitely agree with Zita in her earlier reply.
The only thing I would chime in with is the position of the arms. I cannot tell 100% with the angle but I would look to make sure there isn’t an “inverted W” being created; this could create problems later. I also agree to the fact that you could gain another couple mphs by creating more force with the back leg.