Pitching in the heat

I’m pitching in a big game today here in Massachusetts where it doesn’t usually get quite as hot as it is today (90+ and humid). Any tips to help deal with the heat? :onfire:

I remember when Eddie Lopat was with the Yankees—the hotter the weather the better he liked it. And there have been plenty of other pitchers who reveled in the high temperatures—but I guess you’re not one of them. The only thing I can suggest is plenty of water and plenty of towels to mop yourself off—oh yes, give that rosin bag a good workout, to help you get a good grip on the ball. And surprisingly, if you can work fast, you probably will be able to keep ahead of that 90-plus heat. Think C.C. Sabathia—he’s another one who loves the heat. 8)

Water!! Drink lots of water, more than you think and when you’re not thristy

If you go all day without needed to use the restroom, it probably means you’re not drinking enough

Avoid seeds, or gum. anything salty or sugary will make you need more water

Its 100 here just about everyday down here in Texas. Bring a towel. Hydrate leading up to, during and after the game. Other than that the heat is awesome, it’s pretty easy to get heated up.

Hydrate, hydrate, and hydrate. Use water, not soda or sports drinks.

Oh yeah, don’t forget the rosin bag.

Bucket of ice and water to dip some wash cloths in and wrap around the back of your neck while you’re off the field.

Start your hydration the day before.

Consider yourself lucky. Down here in socal its 90+ consistently and 85+ all summer on a cool day. :smiley:
At least we get to play ball all winter and fall and spring and summer. More, heat, more baseball i guess. :wink:

Supposed to hit 119* tomorrow here in Phoenix. :shock: :shocking: :speechless:

Pay real close attention to your catchers! Their gear makes things far worse for them.

[quote=“Roger”]Supposed to hit 119* tomorrow here in Phoenix. :shock: :shocking: :speechless:

Pay real close attention to your catchers! Their gear makes things far worse for them.[/quote] I’m an Arizona native, but being in Missoula, Visalia, Mobile, and Reno has really dampened my ability to cope with the heat. When I was called up brieftly, the heat was definitely excessive. Thank god for Chase Field’s environmental control

Add Florida Water to a cooler of ice and water. Dip towels in the mixture for between innings. Very nice relief.