Pitching in 40 degree weather

I go to school in maryland, and the first half of the season is so freaking cold that it makes it hard for me to pitch, i need to keep my elbow rly warm, or i lose serious velocity.

Any of you got a qucik fix?

I always wear long sleeve under armour to try to preserve some heat, but it dosnt work that well.

I wear heatgear under coldgear. While I’m warming up, I also wear a jacket or sweatshirt.

Check the General Pitching Advice forum. I believe a similar thread was recently posted there.

What school do you go to?

[quote=“pitchking807”]I go to school in maryland, and the first half of the season is so freaking cold that it makes it hard for me to pitch, i need to keep my elbow rly warm, or i lose serious velocity.

Any of you got a qucik fix?

I always wear long sleeve under armour to try to preserve some heat, but it dosnt work that well.[/quote]

I almost tried out for the 16U maryland orioles…is that your summer team?

I wear under armour coldgear and if it’s really cold I’ll add another one or two under armour like shirts on over that. Works pretty well, thought I still prefer pitching in warm weather.

60 degrees sucks for pitchers here in Southern California.

This may seem kinda weird, but last year our varsity ace covered his whole arm in bengay before the game. He also had on underarmour and stuff like that but he said it really helped. He was actually in the local newspaper because of it. He pitched very well and he said it really helps him stay warm between innings.

Haha dude 60 degrees is awesome. I’m playing summer ball in SoCal with some of my teammates

putting a heat type ointment on your arm in cold weather really does help if you’re sensitive to cold. koufax used to put 2 tubes of the strongest red hot type ointment made from the small of his back all the way to his wrist before he pitched to get loose and cut the pain (he damaged his arm and developed arthritis early in his career). that and staying under sleeping bags in the dugout between innings is a good thing.

dress in layers, and wear a cotton glove under your baseball glove

Whats your name???
The mdorioles13 and being from glen burnie…makes me think i might know you.

I just go with double layers and make sure to put on a thick jacket inbetween innings. my last game was about 35, we warmed up in the snow lol

DO NOT COVER YOUR ARM IN BENGAY AND THEN COVER IT WITH A SLEEVE.
Any topical ointment of this sort needs to breathe. It even says on the box not to cover it in layers, especially tight ones. A female athlete in my area had leg cramps and wrapped her legs in ace bandages after applying bengay and was found dead in the morning. The autopsy revealed that it was from the restriction of ventiliation on the skin following application of bengay. Be careful with this kind of thing. If it’s too cold to get loose, don’t pitch. Pitchers are prone to injury when the muscles and fascial system are unable to warm in order to maintain flexibility. Best of luck to everybody.

[quote=“WildThing51”]DO NOT COVER YOUR ARM IN BENGAY AND THEN COVER IT WITH A SLEEVE.
Any topical ointment of this sort needs to breathe. It even says on the box not to cover it in layers, especially tight ones. A female athlete in my area had leg cramps and wrapped her legs in ace bandages after applying bengay and was found dead in the morning. The autopsy revealed that it was from the restriction of ventiliation on the skin following application of bengay. Be careful with this kind of thing. If it’s too cold to get loose, don’t pitch. Pitchers are prone to injury when the muscles and [size=24]fascial[/size] system are unable to warm in order to maintain flexibility. Best of luck to everybody.[/quote]

Just want to make sure people don’t mistake fascia (click)

for facial

use tiger balm.
apply some to your elbow and shoulder it really helps.
it warms your arm up in cold weather.