Pitching Grips Question

I ready your Pitching Grips article and it mentions 4 seam fastball being faster than a 2 seam fastball… But, isn’t the 2 seam fastball faster than the 4 seam fastball? I think it’s faster because there is less friction. I’ve always thought that. Maybe I’m wrong though. what makes you say the 4 seam is faster?

The principle(s) behind the claim is that the four seam fastball gives the ball the truest line of flight with all seams working equally through the atmosphere. ( in theory anyway)

The two seam fastball has a greater tendency to move, or as we like to say - has movement. This movement deflects, or moves, the ball from the straightest line of flight like its four seam cousin. Thus, the ole saying, just tweaked a bit - the straightest line between two points, or put another way, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line… thus the fastest.

So, with the two pitches released with the same effort, the four seam has the greatest tendency to cover a straight line in the quickest time, Vs the two seam with moves slightly off that straight line, hence taking more time to reach its target 60 feet away.

By the way, the quickest pitches with the greatest velocity, in descending order are as follows:
1st- four seam fastball +
2nd- two seam +
3rd - cutter +
4th - slider +
5th - split finger fastball +
6th - curveball
7th - knuckleball
8th - off-speed/change up

• considered in the fastball family of pitches
  • I didn’t put the screwball in that listing only because of its many variations.

I think my change up is faster then my curveball :frowning:

plaz, you’re right in many respects about your change up. I put that pitch last only because of the many variations with respect to velocity, and velocity alone, that this pitch can have. In fact, I could have listed that pitch anywhere, just about, after the cutter or even the slider.

I’ve had pitchers who could deliver 94+, then follow with a 89 mph pitch. If I were to ask him what was your second pitch, he’s say… "that’s my change up. Yet, I’ve had others who drop down into the 70’s and tell me that’s they’re change up.

I remember how my incredible pitching coach once told me that just about any pitch could be turned into a nice changeup; he demonstrated several for me and showed me how to throw them. It all has to do with the grip—how tightly or how loosely you hold the ball—and how far back, or far forward, you hold it in your hand. The important thing to remember is that you have to throw your changeup with the same arm motion and the same arm speed as you do your fastball, or whatever your fastest pitch is. (My fastest pitch was an 86MPH hard slider with a sharp late break that used to give hitters the willies, especially when I crossfired it: I was one of those exasperating, infuriating creatures called a sidearmer.) :slight_smile: