Pitching drills

What are some pitching drills for advanced pitchers. For example college athletes? Preferably drills that consist of throwing.

Many moons ago, when I was a little snip and then well into my playing days, I would do one we called “ball and strike”. I would get a catcher, and he would set up behind the plate with a mitt and perhaps a mask, and he would position his mitt in various places, high, low, inside, outside, every which way but standing on his head :lol:, and I would work on control and location, whatever one calls it nowadays—getting the ball smack-dab into the pocket of said mitt. It was a terrific workout—we would go at it for an hour at a time—and what a satisfying feeling it was to hear that resounding “THWACK” as the ball hit the pocket of the mitt!
Also, I would do a couple of full bullpen sessions each week, often with a batter in the box on one side or the other, and each time I would pick one pitch from my arsenal and work on getting the true feel of each pitch. My wise and wonderful pitching coach, an active major leaguer who doubled as an extra pitching coach for one of the greatest teams in the game, had told me that just about every pitch I threw was a “feel” pitch, and most of the time he would get behind the plate and catch for me while I concentrated on getting the feel of the baseball and rejoiced in the feeling of throwing a good one. I was an exasperating, infuriating sidearmer with a very good crossfire and a consistent release point, and I found myself getting more and more K’s as a result. Nothing gets a batter’s goat more effectively—and more frustratingly—than swinging and missing my hard slider for strike three and losing his balance and falling over on his rear end with arms and legs up in the air like some overturned bug!
There are more, and you probably can make up some for yourself, but these are the two workouts I used consistently all through the 20 or so years that I pitched. Have fun. 8) :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher:

Hi,

I once used this method to strengthen my arms and eventually speedup my pitching; throwing footballs. Hope you’re getting the idea.

Skipper,

Zita,
Really good way to throw bullpens. My son’s PC often has him throw pens to college hitters that he trains. He often has him throw with a super tight strike zone calling pitches on the edges and having him execute the pitch. The pitches have to be executed with full intent. The PC emphasizes the importance of intent on all pitches.

He will start with hard stuff then move onto breakers, finishing with calling his own pitches in differing counts. The decisions will be critiqued following the pitch and the process starts over.

I can tell you these drills have translated very well to the mound in game situations.

No such thing as a good drill or advanced drill. Only clear intent. It’s your intent (movement goal) that shapes your drill.

You could start 15 people in the exact same starting position and make it 15 different drills. You shape the drill, the drill doesn’t shape you.

Yup. You take fifteen pitchers and set them up in a row, and each pitcher is going to pick his or her favorite drill and do it. Otherwise you’ll have some fifteen robots—and we don’t want that, now do we?
I liked the two I did. And when I was doing a bullpen and Eddie Lopat would catch for me, we would pick out one pitch from my arsenal and work on getting the true feel for that pitch, and I loved that. In doing this one I always got the true sense of the pitch and the feel I got for throwing a good one, and I always got better location. (And Steady Eddie wasn’t half bad as a catcher.} 8) :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher:

Such an open-ended question really has no good answer. Drills need to have a purpose or objective. To do a drill without a specific objective is largely a waste of time because you’ll end up just going through the motion instead of truly trying to work on something. Maybe you’d like to ask a more specific question?

True. There are a lot of pitchers who haven’t the slightest idea of what they want or need to work on, and so often they do nothing more than just play catch—which in itself isn’t such a bad idea, especially for getting the arm all loosened up—or get in some long toss into the bargain. But there are also pitchers who have a specific agenda in mind when they’re going to do a full bullpen session. Take me, for instance. When I set out to do a bullpen I would, first and foremost, check out all my pitches to see how they were behaving themselves, a not inconsiderable task because I had quite an arsenal at my disposal. If I found one pitch that wasn’t working right—and this happens to a lot of us—I would put it on the shelf if I were going to pitch the next day, and we would address the problem a couple of days later. Second, I would pick out one pitch from the arsenal (much like one picks an apple from a tree) and work on really getting the feel for that pitch, so I could be even more comfortable with it. Often my pitching coach would get behind the plate and catch for me—and he wasn’t half bad as a catcher—and from that position he could pinpoint one thing or another I could do to enhance it. And being an exasperating, infuriating sidearmer with a very good crossfire, I saw this as an opportunity to discombooberate the opposing batters even further.
Yes, each pitcher should do whatever drill suits him or her and not what the coaches say s/he should do. 8) :slight_smile: