Pitching Distance - LL

[quote=“southcarolina”][quote=“south paw”]
First, 13 year olds can’t play Little League; too old. Shows how little you know.

[/quote]While i for the most part agree with you, in the interest of fairness, depending when a kid’s birthday is, there could be a kid who has turned 13 and is still considered a league age 12. I think the date they use is May1, so its conceivable that a kid could be 13 for the entire month of May and whatever AS tournaments he qualifies for (if any).[/quote]
When talking Little League, “age” always means “league age”, which is age as of April 30. And no “league age” 13 kids are allowed in LL; it’s a 12U league.

Mellow out, man…[/quote]
Say, what did you tell the guy who wrote that LL is “mom ball” where “kids aren’t taught anything”?

Oh yeah, you didn’t day anything to him … hmm … I wonder why?

[quote=“south paw”]That said, what a kid learns from whatever league they play in is solely dependent on the coaches in that league. There are great LL coaches, and horrible travel coaches. Our LL has 4 coaches who have played major league ball, and numerous others who played Minors and college. Its never ceases to amaze me the number of opposing parents that look down on our 11U team because we schedule our Travel tournaments around our rec league, at least until we beat them. So far this season, we are ranked as the #3 AAA team in SC, and our team has wins over the #9 AAA team in Georgia and #2 AAA team in SC, as well as two 1 run losses to the #1 ranked AAA team in SC (ranked #15 nationally) and a one run loss to the #1 ranked Majors team in SC. And we have yet to play a tournament with our full roster. Not too shabby for a bunch of kids who play “mom-ball”

*all rankings USSSA Power Rating[/quote]
Good point.

I know of at least two players who played youth baseball in our Little League and went on to successful careers in the Majors. Yes, the Majors.

Next time I see them I’ll tell them, “Hey, I just learned on the Internet that you did it all wrong! You played ‘mom ball’ in your youth when you could have been ‘paying to play’ on an ‘elite’ travel ba$eball team and had a shot at the Majors! Oh, wait, you did make the Majors … uhh … :?”

[quote=“south paw”][quote=“southcarolina”][quote=“south paw”]
First, 13 year olds can’t play Little League; too old. Shows how little you know.

[/quote]While i for the most part agree with you, in the interest of fairness, depending when a kid’s birthday is, there could be a kid who has turned 13 and is still considered a league age 12. I think the date they use is May1, so its conceivable that a kid could be 13 for the entire month of May and whatever AS tournaments he qualifies for (if any).[/quote]
When talking Little League, “age” always means “league age”, which is age as of April 30. And no “league age” 13 kids are allowed in LL; it’s a 12U league.[/quote]

I know that. Im just saying that in the context of what the other poster was saying (older more physically mature players playing with younger less mature) that it is possible to have a sanctioned Little League Majors game after April 30 with players who are in fact 13 years old. This season in our league it is very possible that we will have a game with a 13 year old and nine year old on the field at the same time. So i understand his point. I dont really agree with it, but i understand it.

[quote=“south paw”]

I know of at least two players who played youth baseball in our Little League and went on to successful careers in the Majors. Yes, the Majors.

Next time I see them I’ll tell them, “Hey, I just learned on the Internet that you did it all wrong! You played ‘mom ball’ in your youth when you could have been ‘paying to play’ on an ‘elite’ travel ba$eball team and had a shot at the Majors! Oh, wait, you did make the Majors … uhh … :?”[/quote]

This would be a good discussion point by itself - What contributes the most to producing a baseball phenom? Playing 170 travel games a year? Natural talent and ability? Combination? Other?

Natural talent is a sine qua non (“without which nothing”) of a pitching phenom. Tom Glavine was primarily a hockey player in his youth, playing baseball only three months out of the year. Mariano Rivera was primarily a soccer player who focused on baseball only after an injury cut short his soccer dreams, and even then he was a shortstop, not pitching seriously until he was 20 when he volunteered to pitch after his local Panamanian team’s pitcher was getting shelled. Those guys didn’t do year round travel ball. :lol: