Pitching control, please help

How can I get better control of my fastball and change up?

Let me take a stab at answering both parts of the question, the second one first.
The important thing to remember is that you have to throw all your pitches with the same arm motion and the same arm speed. That being established, let me tell you about something I used to do as a little snip of twelve or so. I would get a catcher, and we would do one of two things. Either he would mark off a rubber and a home plate at the proper distances with chalk (but the only trouble with that is that the chalk marks could easily be, and indeed were, scuffed into oblivion), or if we could get to an unused playing field, which was more often, I would take the mound and he would get behind the plate and assume the position. We would then play a little game we called “ball and strike”. He would position his mitt in various places, high, low, inside, outside, any which way but standing on his head ( :lol:), and the objective was for me to get the ball smack-dab into the pocket of the mitt, wherever it was. I would do this with all my pitches—I only had a couple of them, but I would throw them at different speeds—and what a nice satisfying feeling it was to hear the unmistakeable “thwack” of the ball hitting the pocket. I picked up the crossfire somewhere along the line, and I would do that with the pitches, and even after I acquired such as the slider I continued to do it. It was more than just a drill; it was a terrific workout and a lot of fun, and from time to time I would have someone stand in the batter’s box so I could really zero in on the strike zone. Believe me, I can’t think of a better way to sharpen one’s control!
As for the curve ball—I think that age 11 or 12 is rather young to start messing around with it; most young pitchers would do better to wait till they’re about 14 or even 15, to give certain growth processes time to mature. I was an exception; I was eleven when I discovered I was a natural sidearmer, and what was funny in a way was a good little curve ball that came attached to that delivery. I figured, well, I had a curve ball, let me work with it and see what I can do. The fact that I was a sidearmer made this easier. But this doesn’t happen often, so it would be wise for youngsters to wait and work on the fast ball and the changeup. (And there are some major league pitchers who do very nicely with just those pitches.) :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher:

OK, thank you, maybe after I have great control of my fastball and change up I can learn a curveball?

Where is the “Never-Ever” option? :lol: Seriously It’s very apparent you want to throw a hook, I think everyone on the forum knows that now, but just stick to your other stuff, there are at least three different kind of change-ups you can throw, a palm ball(almost like a 4th kind of change-up) and the great this is with arm action you can adjust the movement of that change-up. Not sure if you saw Cole Hamel last night but he basically throws a fastball and a change-up, he has a curve, yes.He really just works with two pitches though, so at such a young age I wouldn’t suggest trying to learn a curve. Now if you were mature beyond your years, and had a 16 year olds body and the body control of a 16 year old then I would say maybe but i’m rather certain you don’t. Work with a change-up and making it a good one, at 12 I know guys with a change-up dominated.

Work on velocity, not a bender.