Pitching coach referrals

I am trying to find a pitching coach for my soon to be 12U (turns 12 next week) pitcher. I am open to online or local (Denver metro area) that believes in using video and is all about the little things…not just the classic elbow up, show ball to 2nd base, etc. I want to find someone who really understands the anatomy of shoulder and biomechanics of pitching. I tried to contact Chris O’Leary and Matt Blake out of EC Performance but have not heard back.

Thanks in advance.

When you find a coach that’s a practitioner of this/these highly technical
aspects of coaching movement and the sport, please take into account
your son’s age and his demeanor for participation. Many youngsters are
simply not equipped with the mental what-for-ever to knowingly understand
and compliment the technical aspects of your request.

So, although while in the company of a coach, his movement and progress
may be very encouraging, but, in real time his actual performances may be less so.

When a youngster is under pressure and is expected to perform, all too often he/she
usually reverts to what comes natural – regardless if that natural is right or wrong.
It’s the mind’s response to pressure and anxiety.

Your requests and objectives are not without merit. In fact,
I applaud you for your concern. Just be mindful of the boy’s
reception and interpretation of what he’s being taught.

Also keep in mind his physical tolerance. A pitching coach should be very
attentive to this aspect while coaching the very young (18U).

Watch for things that are not specifically pitching oriented – like the boy’s mood swings,
lack of interest on any given day, and the boy’s susceptibility to heat, humidity,
cold and other environmental influences. And last but not least – if you’re having a
bad day dad, try not to let that influence your observations and inturpretations of how well
your son is or is not doing.

Best wishes with your baseball experiences and this quality time with your boy.

Coach B.

coachld,

You have a PM

coachld, I don’t have anywhere you could go but I want to pat you on your back for getting good ideas about what you want prior to getting him started. 12 is a great time to get your son involved in professional instruction. Have you looked into NPA advice, I know they don’t have any certified instructors in Denver but they may be able to turn you onto an instructor.

There is however a site that might guide you a little, I don’t know any of the instructors so I have no direct advice:

http://baseballtips.com/instructors/colorado.html

Good luck!

I will work with remote clients who are older. At 12 years old, I’d recommend someone local who you can trust.

The closest person I can recommend you to is Bill Peterson in Colorado Springs. Though it’s far, it’s definitely worth the trip for a one-time consultation.

Let me know if you want his email/phone number.

Thanks Coach and could not agree more. Sometimes I forget that my son is only 11 and just wants to have fun playing the game of baseball. What he does understand, is that sometimes to have fun you have to put in a little work which is why I enjoy working with him so much…he really wants to get better.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

[quote=“Coach Baker”]When you find a coach that’s a practitioner of this/these highly technical
aspects of coaching movement and the sport, please take into account
your son’s age and his demeanor for participation. Many youngsters are
simply not equipped with the mental what-for-ever to knowingly understand
and compliment the technical aspects of your request.

So, although while in the company of a coach, his movement and progress
may be very encouraging, but, in real time his actual performances may be less so.

When a youngster is under pressure and is expected to perform, all too often he/she
usually reverts to what comes natural – regardless if that natural is right or wrong.
It’s the mind’s response to pressure and anxiety.

Your requests and objectives are not without merit. In fact,
I applaud you for your concern. Just be mindful of the boy’s
reception and interpretation of what he’s being taught.

Also keep in mind his physical tolerance. A pitching coach should be very
attentive to this aspect while coaching the very young (18U).

Watch for things that are not specifically pitching oriented – like the boy’s mood swings,
lack of interest on any given day, and the boy’s susceptibility to heat, humidity,
cold and other environmental influences. And last but not least – if you’re having a
bad day dad, try not to let that influence your observations and inturpretations of how well
your son is or is not doing.

Best wishes with your baseball experiences and this quality time with your boy.

Coach B.[/quote]

Thanks buwhite…I will take a look at the link you provided.

Thanks kyle…I will send you a pm requesting contact info for CO Springs coach.