Pitching checkpoints

What is it that we can call checkpoints? Possibly this:
-establishing location
-establishing fastball
-establishing velocity
-establishment of one (1) other pitch

• if wanted you could then work on other pitches

If you tried the knuckleball with good sucess in practice, would you use it in a game, or exclusively in a pitching career?

Do you have any critisms for this quick written list?

I would think that a checkpoint would be very precisely defined and measurable. But the word “establish” is vague and leaves too much to interpretation. So, for example, you could redefine the “establishing location” checkpoint as something more precise like “hit’s called location 50% of the time”.

However, be careful with what you define as checkpoints. For example, would success be achieved if some checkpoint is reached using mechanics that are known to lead to injury?

Leo Mazzone defines a checkpoint as something like where you break you hands (e.g. high or low) or when you break your hands (e.g. relative to the knee lift).

Leo Mazzone defines a checkpoint as something like where you break you hands (e.g. high or low) or when you break your hands (e.g. relative to the knee lift).[/quote]

Chris I noticed on video the other day that I get more explosiveness when I lower the knee then break the hands instead of breaking the hands while the knee drops. What is your take on this?

Ive coached for a long time and “Checkpoints” in baseball and softball always dealt with the ‘mechanics’ of playing baseball.Pitching , infield play , outfield play , and catching all have differences in the proper mechanics s/a stay low on fielding a ground ball, keep the ball in front of you, turn the hip and shoulder to the catchers glove etc. etc.
But— I suppose you could call anything your keeping track of “checkpoints” as long as you keep track of the consistancy like one person answered in the article. Good luck.
Bill