Pitching Charts for Improved Performance

I’m going to have somebody on the bench fill out a detailed pitching chart for me…does anyone know where I can find one? I want it to be able to record the result of every pitch to every batter. i.e. if I throw a curveball 0-2 and the batter fouls out to left field I want to be able to mark that down. It will help me figure out where my weaknesses are, and give more purpose to my pitches.

My coach has a pitcher on the bench do this for our pitchers every game. He gets the papers from a stat program he has.

it doesnt have room to like put “foul to left”. but theres a box for each pitch per at bat and a place to put what the result of the AT BAT was. Theres room for extra stuff too, and a place to put the batters name and stuff.

if you give me a day or two, i could probably try to get a copy from him and scan it and send it to you?

[quote=“SP1B”]it doesnt have room to like put “foul to left”. but theres a box for each pitch per at bat and a place to put what the result of the AT BAT was. Theres room for extra stuff too, and a place to put the batters name and stuff.

if you give me a day or two, i could probably try to get a copy from him and scan it and send it to you?[/quote]

we use those too.

[quote=“SP1B”]it doesnt have room to like put “foul to left”. but theres a box for each pitch per at bat and a place to put what the result of the AT BAT was. Theres room for extra stuff too, and a place to put the batters name and stuff.

if you give me a day or two, i could probably try to get a copy from him and scan it and send it to you?[/quote]

yeah that would be sweet

alright, I have a game tomorrow, so i should be able to steal a sheet for you :stuck_out_tongue:

if you get a chance and dont mind, PM me your email. I think thatll be the easiest to send it to you.

can you send me a copy too???

I’ll PM you my email.

Greg

A google search will produce amazing results.

http://www.qcbaseball.com/tools/pitchingchart_byinning_clipboard.html

http://www.qcbaseball.com/tools/pitchingchart_byinning_binder_9.html][b]This[/b
is the chart I used. But I added a “Result” item called “HBP” (hit by pitch).

PITCHING CHART INPUT

Just remember when charting input that pitch selection, batter characteristics, environmental conditions, your physical and mental status and the like, all play a big role in any input … and hence, any outcome.

Pitch Selection: (in general)

• Your pitch selection will vary from day to day, game to game, depending on how you feel and what’s working and what’s no when you arrive at the park. Sometimes a good fastball on the corners was “right on” for Sunday’s game … but come Friday’s game it’s so – so. Even when your pitching off the same mound, at the same park, same weather,same physical feelings, same club –same lineup, etc.

Batter Characteristics: (in general)

• Remember a batting order has a definite purpose to it. And the batting styles and body postures are just as unique and topical as your are as a pitcher. A batter with a very long sweeping golf style of bat swipe will undoubtedly give you a much different challenge to your repertoire and any resulting contact then say … at batter with his/her hands down at mid ribcage level. And if that wasn’t enough, a batter may initially start off with one kind of body posture at bat … only to change to another at the time of the swing.

Environmental Conditions: (in general)

• A steep mound, a mound that domed, a flat surface, a surface with deep holes, a sandy surface,light rain, fog, cold spells, wet grass, uncut grass, high humidity, overcast, pitching out of the shadows, pitching into the shadows, sun’s spot in the sky, pitching under the lights, baseball’s condition, and let’s not forget the ever persistent hecklers … will all forge an image on your performance … not to mention your temperament.

Your Physical and Mental Status: ( in general)

• This one element is the most volatile because it injects a ton of variables due to the nature of the human condition. Rarely while growing up are things constant, physically speaking. Both your biological and mental adaptations to your surroundings influences everything you do or attempt to do. Without a doubt –this is a tall order for a kid. So don’t be too harsh on yourself.
  • You’ve got a big test the day of your appearance, you and your girl friend just broke up, you missed a chore at home and your parents are on your case, you forgot something,you’re just getting over a sickness, your club is riddled with politics and favoritism.
  • You and your catcher are not the best match up, the other seven guys behind you make just about every game a nightmare, your put into the game every time the team is losing … and losing badly.

My suggestion would be to study a batting order in detail and the general body postures that make up the majority of hitters in your league/level of play. Take notes on how their hands, feet and torso move on the pitch … do they stride on the pitch or stay locked … do they stay planted in the
holes that the prior batter’s made thus limiting their turning for quality contact. Watch your own batting order and make generalizations from there. Also, the body-builds of most of the batters. Tall slim batters have an entirely different approach to hitting then say … stocky players with
a wide girth (belly). And batters that hold their hands very high at bat … like right next to their ear … have an entirely different feeling of contact confidence than say a batter that holds his hands down just below the arm pits. Also, a good indication of contact quality will all batters is the posture taken by the front and back elbows while waiting for a pitch. Again, watch your own batting order AND TAKE NOTES.

With respect to your pitch selection – what’s you accuracy with your pitch selection? Fastball on the corners to a right handed batter? Say your 85% on the right corner (inside) but only 50% accurate on the left side corner (outside).

Your pitching coach should provide a lot of this for you. If not, try my suggestions yourself.

Coach B.

Thanks Guys

I’ll Print a couple out for my coach or someone else to fill out for me…

Thanks
Greg