Pitching better

How do i improve my velocity beside long toss? Will lifting help or hurt?

Velocity is only part of it. What may be even more important is control and command—being able to put your pitches where you want them to go, to throw strikes consistently. A pitcher may be able to throw 100 miles an hour, but if he can’t find the plate, what good is it? Let me tell you about something I used to do when I was getting into the game—two things, in fact.
I used to go to the original Yankee Stadium every chance I got, as I lived only one mile from the ballpark, and I would watch the Yankee pitchers in action, during batting and fielding practice and in games. I noticed that the Big Three guys in the rotation—Raschi, Reynolds and Lopat—were all doing the same thing. They were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion to generate the power behind their pitches—and in the process taking a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder because said arm and shoulder seemed to be just going along for the ride! I saw just how they were doing this, and I made a note of it and started working on this on my own. As I practiced this—and it is indeed an essential aspect of good mechanics—I found that not only was I getting more power into my pitches, I was also throwing harder—and faster—than I had been doing before. And me a snake-jazz pitcher! In fact, I ended up with an 81-MPH fast ball, a good four-seamer. Less effort, and nary a sore arm or shoulder. The fact that I was a natural sidearmer who used the crossfire extensively made things even easier.
The other thing I did, as a little snip: I would get a catcher, and either he would mark off a pitcher’s rubber and a home plate at the requisite 60’6" distance (the only problem with that was that the chalk marks were all too easily scuffed into oblivion), or if we could get to an unused playing field I would take the mound and he would assume the position behind the plate. We would play a little game we called “ball and strike”, in which he would position his mitt in various places, high, low, inside, outside, every which way but standing on his head ( :lol: ), and I would concentrate on getting the ball smack-dab into the pocket of the mitt. I did this with all my pitches, at various speeds, including the crossfire, and what a good satisfying feeling it was to hear that resounding THWACK as the ball hit the pocket of the mitt! From time to time I would have someone stand in the batter’s box so I could really zero in on the strike zone, hit the corners, and so on. Believe me, I can’t think of a better way to sharpen up one’s control!
So get going on those two workouts, and I guarantee you will see some satisfying results with regard to not only velocity but, even more important, control and command of your pitches. Have fun.

Using a medicine ball can assist in building strength to pitch, however, if you are looking for velocity, it isn’t going to come from the arm strength.

Long toss is helpful because when you do long toss it forces your body to start using the front leg more when throwing long distance. As you do this more and more it becomes familiar to your body and you start to incorporate it into your pitching. What happens is simply that you build momentum with a crow-hop then drive the body down into the front leg to drive the hips. Now depending on how the leg stiffens dictates how fast the hips open up and drive the arm and shoulder around to throw. There are players that have more control landing bent, then stiffening that front leg, and there are others who simply land on the leg nearly straight already (Lincecum)
I dont necessarily think you should start like Lincecum because though it does create velocity, in a young kid it is more difficult to master.

My advice to build velocity is to work on your legs in the pitching motion. One other underrated aspect of pitching is “Being Tall” This idea is simply to let gravity help you drop the body onto the front leg to drive the hips open. The idea is that if you have a bent back or bent back leg in a stretch position, you are more likely to become tired after fewer pitches. Using the “Being Tall” theory does not necessarily translate to a short step. There are many players who get a decent stride even though they are tall and balanced. Pushing off the rubber and getting a super long stride will not work for everyone, because for one, most kids aren’t that limber, and for another, it loses the leverage for your legs. I can point to a very wide batting stance as an example. If you overstride when batting, it doesn’t actually increase your power. I mean, there are players that do this and do actually have power, but the many many players that do not and still have great power can attest to the point that a long stride isn’t something to put you over the top.

The lower body function is one of the most overlooked, yet important aspects of pitching. I would say if you do happen to do long toss, learn what part that front leg plays in driving your hips. Then after you learn that, work on getting your release in sync with the front leg in pitching